Thread: Sony, PS3 and F@H

Sony, PS3 and F@H

As reported at TheInquirer....Sony endorses PS3..

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38270
    Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

this thing is taking off...
    PS3 horsepower has already crushed PC's...

excerpt from FAH project home, stats by OS...

Client statistics by OS

OS Type Current TFLOPS* Active CPUs Total CPUs
    Windows 151 159198 1624934
    Mac OS X/PowerPC 7 8716 95341
    Mac OS X/Intel 8 2716 7216
    Linux 42 24971 215703
    GPU 41 700 2188
    PLAYSTATION®3 367 14971 15914
    Total 616 211272 1961296
    PS3's are contributing well over 2x the teraflops as windows PC's with less than 10% of the active CPU count...

I have read they are processing frames at a rate of < 0.5 sec/frame and completing a workunit in under 10 hours...

time will tell if the hardware holds up, but if it does then I guess PS3 farms are the new DC frontier...
    cover me... I'm going in...

yep, time to start saving up for a ps3 as well as a dual quad core system with dual 8800gtx's or better

the future is bright

There was a comment regarding flops by Dr. Pande on the f@h forum. Basically he said that while the cell is doing phenomenal, don't read stuff into "flops" as the end thing as there are other items that have to be considered also for the complete picture.

One gent mentioned on another forum that he was getting 3 work units a day out of his ps3, like 267 points each or something like that. The non-wireless ps3 runs around $400 smackaroos. Pretty cheap really when you look at what a mobo/cpu/mem/hd/etc., cost, and even then you don't have the output of the ps3. The ATI GPU client is rocking along too. Then you look at the hacking that thebutler has done with the nvida, and it is quite apparent that there's going to be some fundamental changes in the approach towards tackling DC projects as compared to relying solely on CPUs. I just wish that some other projects would hurry up and get some GPU/PS3 clients out.

Amazing stats for the ps3! I'm still saving up for mine. It will be a little easier after 7/12 as the price will be dropping by $100! WooHoo!

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16721

On it!
    Just picked up the 40GB model, added two year full replacement warranty for total of ~$450
    Turned it on and did the network setup, then software updates...
    several reboots later, viola, F@H Client download
    Now to get er done...
    whoops, there is an update to the Client, please wait...
    Installed, fired it up
    Press the triangle ^ for options, change your name to IronBits and Team to 758, save and fire it up.

It seems that the PS3 is more than 10X powerful as an average PC. Why doesn't it get 10X PPD as well?
    We balance the points based on both speed and the flexibility of the client. The GPU client is still the fastest, but it is the least flexible and can only run a very, very limited set of WU's. Thus, its points are not linearly proportional to the speed increase. The PS3 takes the middle ground between GPU's (extreme speed, but at limited types of WU's) and CPU's (less speed, but more flexibility in types of WU's). We have picked the PS3 as the natural benchmark machine for PS3 calculations and set its points per day to 900 to reflect this middle ground between speed (faster than CPU, but slower than GPU) and flexibility (more flexible than GPU, less than CPU).

And I turned on the Advanced mode of course, seeing that it's planned usage is 24x7 dedicated cruncher, thus the two year warranty above.

Advanced Participation Mode: Advanced participation mode allows Stanford University to send simulations o f varying computational lengths to PS3 users. Because the simulations in this mode can take significantly lon ger, Advanced Mode is only recommended for contributors who run Folding@home for at least eight hours per day .
    Of particular excitement for us is the ability to have accelerated GB/SA simulations. We can now run calcault ions which were first run on FAH in October of 2000 at about 200x to 500x speed increase -- a pretty amazing feat and something we're very excited about. We are reading new GB work units to go out and will report on their progress as time goes on.
    http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandeg...g/FAQ-PS3.html

Quote Originally Posted by IronBits
    On it!
    Just picked up the 40GB model, added two year full replacement warranty for total of ~$450
    Turned it on and did the network setup, then software updates...
    several reboots later, viola, F@H Client download
    Now to get er done...
    whoops, there is an update to the Client, please wait...
    Installed, fired it up
    Press the triangle ^ for options, change your name to IronBits and Team to 758, save and fire it up.

It seems that the PS3 is more than 10X powerful as an average PC. Why doesn't it get 10X PPD as well?
    We balance the points based on both speed and the flexibility of the client. The GPU client is still the fastest, but it is the least flexible and can only run a very, very limited set of WU's. Thus, its points are not linearly proportional to the speed increase. The PS3 takes the middle ground between GPU's (extreme speed, but at limited types of WU's) and CPU's (less speed, but more flexibility in types of WU's). We have picked the PS3 as the natural benchmark machine for PS3 calculations and set its points per day to 900 to reflect this middle ground between speed (faster than CPU, but slower than GPU) and flexibility (more flexible than GPU, less than CPU).

And I turned on the Advanced mode of course, seeing that it's planned usage is 24x7 dedicated cruncher, thus the two year warranty above.

Advanced Participation Mode: Advanced participation mode allows Stanford University to send simulations o f varying computational lengths to PS3 users. Because the simulations in this mode can take significantly lon ger, Advanced Mode is only recommended for contributors who run Folding@home for at least eight hours per day .
    Of particular excitement for us is the ability to have accelerated GB/SA simulations. We can now run calcault ions which were first run on FAH in October of 2000 at about 200x to 500x speed increase -- a pretty amazing feat and something we're very excited about. We are reading new GB work units to go out and will report on their progress as time goes on.
    http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandeg...g/FAQ-PS3.html

Pretty cool... let us know how it goes.

Thanks, keep an eye on the stats, as they will tell the real story...
    I am concerned that we get penalized because they are so fast, but can only do certain types of WUs.
    We will be limited to 900 ppd, which is a lot, if I understood what I thought I was reading
    Guess we'll see.

Good to hear from you, was wondering where you wandered off to.

PS3 network enters record books
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7074547.stm

Guinness World Records has recognised folding@home (FAH) as the world's most powerful distributed computing network.
    FAH has signed up nearly 700,000 PS3s to examine how the shape of proteins affect diseases such as Alzheimer's.
    The network has more than one petaflop of computing power - the equivalent of 1,000 trillion calculations per second.
    "To have folding@home recognized by Guinness World Records as the most powerful distributed computing network ever is a reflection of the extraordinary worldwide participation by gamers and consumers around the world and for that we are very grateful," said Professor Vijay Pande of Stanford University and a leader of the FAH project.

PS3 Stats - Folding@Home

Day 1 0,000
    Day 2 0,851
    Day 3 1,145
    Day 4 1,070
    Day 5 0,798
    Day 6 0,935
    Day 7 0,845 (stopped at ~33%)
    ~940 ppd average
    Using Advanced Participation Mode

Would be interesting to know what the average points would be using the Advanced Participation Mode.

Have you tried adding linux to it yet?

Yes, just got Yellow Dog Linux on it late last night. Working excellent so far.
    I did not configure an X window startup, just pure text terminal mode.
    Takes about 1 hour to get YDL installed, but pretty darn simple over all.

Are you in Phoenix, AZ.?

Okay, I give up. Who here wants to tell me how to find IronBits in the stats? 'cause searching on ironbits, ironbits on team Free-DC(I even tried lowercase), and just free-dc comes up with a lot of stuff that in no way resembles the name ironbits.

Unless he's the user Iron, which was the best fit. Edit: Not unless he's Italian

How about http://stats.free-dc.org/users/users.php?name=IronBits
    or F@H specifically? http://stats.free-dc.org/new/teamsta...h&team=Free-DC
    or FAH http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...ge&teamnum=758
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...rname=IronBits

Keep an eye out for Elf in some projects, my brother TeeJay's stats name, one in the same with IronBits, we crunched under both together.
    or

Okay, those links work, but when I typed in "folding@home stats" the page I got didn't give me an ironbits username when I searched.

Edit: and now it does, but the ironbits I get isn't on team Free-DC.

Where is ironbits that is not associated with Free-DC ??????
    That or it was from way back when on Ars...
    Linkages man, linkages...

Where is ironbits that is not associated with Free-DC ??????
    That or it was from way back when on Ars...
    Linkages man, linkages...
    I guess my edit didn't make it through yesterday. I don't think it was IronBits, but Iron, and they were on an Italian team.

Are you in Phoenix, AZ.?
    no, Washington State.

Day 1 0,000
    Day 2 0,851
    Day 3 1,145
    Day 4 1,070
    Day 5 0,798
    Day 6 0,935
    Day 7 0,845 (stopped at ~33%)
    ~940 ppd average
    Using Advanced Participation Mode

Your product died off...

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...php?s=&u=62434

Nevermind... saw that you are doing d.net

ps3 and gpu may be overrated. i am now running the smp client. it takes me 48 hrs for 1760 points. on an athlon 64 x2 3600.

SMP Client is good for over 2000PPD on a 3.2GH Core 2 Duo and over 3000 on a Quad.
    AMD X2 @2500 = 1000 PPD