Thread: Reality Check

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries

Reality Check

Had a very bad scare overnight last night. My wife is a type 1 diabetic (hereditary). She keeps herself in very good shape and such. But she took the wrong type of insulin before bed (normal rather than background). We realised it, so she took some sugar to offset the effects.

Still it was not enough and at 3am I had to call 911 as she was slipping into a diabetic coma and I was unable to wake her. Well, an hour later after paramedics had used an IV to put in a crapload of dextrose, she came round, luckily no ill effects. I had to stay awake through about 7am checking her sugar levels to make sure nothing else spiked, but she has now fully recovered. Amazingly the kids slept through the whole thing.

Kind of puts everything into perspective.

Bok

Whoa! Sorry to hear about that Phil
    Glad it turned out ok!!! Whew!

Blog Entries
    Does make one realize how much you love that person I am thankful it went well

*echoes sentiments above*

Am glad to hear that you and your wife are recovered, and that the kids were spared a scary experience.

Very scary. Good thing you realised the mistake and knew to keep a close eye on her.

As you say, it reminds you what is really important in life.

I'm glad everything is ok. I have a good idea what you went through. My mom will be 60 in a couple months, she has diabetes as well as other health issues, and she lives alone. She has scared me a few times.

My brother had the same problem and ended up with one of those wristband tester/injector things to monitor his glucose. As he traveled a lot as part of his job, he had to carry an emergency kit in the car which included glucose iv stuff and Mars Bars/high glucose(dextrose) drink and tablets. He had all this stuff as a condition of keeping his Heavy crane license and insurance. We did have to carry him (19 stones) out of a 20ft high crane cab once when the batteries went in his wristband kit and he fell asleep and didn't get the alarm. Took 6 of us and 2 of those got a bit squashed as the crane tracks were 6ft high and we had to manhandle him down from the crane till the site ambulance arrived. Thought he'd had a heart attack as he was completely limp and barely breathing. he did eventually have a heart attack and triple bypass surgery later but still wouldn't give up work (at 62) and continued to work 100 hour plus weeks.
    He had the condition for most of his life so we had quite a few scares and went through all the different things available to diabetes sufferers. I worked with him on several large contracts which was one reason I also did the rescue/paramedic training
    So you and your better half have my sympathies and hopes that you won't get scared out of the rest of your long lifetimes, Phil.
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post

Bok
    Sure does. I'm glad that it turned out well for you. Diabetes is a hard road.

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Phil man, glad you good lady is okay.
    I've seen the effects of low blood sugar it's not funny - I've seen someone repeat the same thing time and again due to it..
    Oh that and the drink I brought which was fresh opened was flat that wasn't funny... darn right scary.
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Glad it all turned out Ok

and as you say it does put things into perspective.

We've all only got one go at this life thing and a fragile thing it is too.

Someone tried to take me out on my cycle home last night just didn't check his mirrors. Could have been a load worse if I had been daydreaming too.

Stay safe people
    Alas poor Borg, I knew it Horatio

http://www.butlersurvey.com/

Very scary!

Glad to hear she is OK now

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    Amazingly the kids slept through the whole thing.

Bok
    Kidsīll sleep through anything. You could have a tornado coming through and the kidsīll sleep through it. But if Mom announces cookies from across the house, you can bet those kids will wake up.

Something about a motherīs voice triggering a particular part of the brain.

Blog Entries
    Glad to hear that everything is ok. Kind of makes of take a look around, a really good look around, and realize just how blessed we are.

irc.aknarra.net #lobby
    irc.free-dc.org #free-dc

Wow! Close call! Sentiments above echoed, and then some. Be extra good to your people.
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

Yikes ! I'm glad things turned out ok in the end.