Thread: Ads by Google...

Ads by Google...

... Are these a result of the server costs?

*shrug* At least some of them are vaguely targeted I suppose. The banner at the bottom of the page seems to be fixed on fitness-singles though. "Find other singles who are into running." But I'm not into running! And my personal life is complicated! /me wonders what our Overlords Google know that I don't know.

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    They are built in (though optional) in the latest version of vbulletin I upgraded to today so I switched them on. Like anything with Ads, it takes a while for them to crawl and identify correctly, so I wouldn't expect correct targeting for a few days or so.

We'll see how it goes I hguess..

Bok

Blog Entries
    BoK, I have a nice experience of running adsense at forums.

Links block that you have at top of the page works a way better at bottom, somewhere between posts and Tags block. It nicely works for guest users, that find forum at google, read some topic that they find, scrolling down the page and AFTER reading, they got an ads (usually) related to their search. so they click. the click ratio for bottom links block can be 2-4 times larger than top links block.

also adsense have a nice side effect like better indexing by google, though G have different bot that crawl the pages to check what kind of content thay have to show relevant ads, overall indexing increase too...
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    They are built in (though optional) in the latest version of vbulletin I upgraded to today so I switched them on. Like anything with Ads, it takes a while for them to crawl and identify correctly, so I wouldn't expect correct targeting for a few days or so.

Bok
    Doe's the forum get Add Penny's if we click on them ?

Blog Entries
    man, google strictly disallow such clicking. you can only make a ban in a google adsense for BoK's account.

please only click if you see something useful for you.
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post

Bok
    I was wondering: if they're built in to vbulletin, does that mean the proceeds from these go to the vbulletin people, or are they indeed attributed to a Free-DC account?

Blog Entries
    You have to link your Google account in to vbulletin to get it to work, so indeed to Free-DC.

Blog Entries
    BoK, can you add a links block like at the top of the page to the bottom of page?
    tags block will be good place.
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Blog Entries
    Without doing my own mod to vbulletin (which I try not to do if possible as upgrades are then a pain) I'm constrained by the options within vbulletin. It's on 'low' right now. The other option has them in too many places IMO.

Bok

Blog Entries
    I wonder this is more like template issue, not modding.

I'm more phpBB fan, and never installing vB. Buy I can give it a try later today.
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Blog Entries
    It is a template change, but then template changes do also mean upgrades can require manual intervention so I try to avoid them if at all possible..

I believe in a future update they are going to allow multiple variations anyway, so I'll wait on that..

Bok