Thread: Possible solution to client stalls, test rejection and all that

Possible solution to client stalls, test rejection and all that

I've watched lots of you post about client problems: stalls, tests being rejected, etc. etc. Up until recently I had absolutely no problems on eight clients. I was seeing run times approaching 1500 hours!

Recently I noticed that my country stats where about a third of my personal production (see poll). This led Louie to discover that submissions through the SoB proxy where not counted correctly (I use sbp.pns.net on port 22).

I decided to reconfigure my clients to submit to sb.pns.net on port 1717 and BAM! Client problems rose a few notches. After a few day of nursing clients along I put everything back the way it was (sbp.pns.net:22). Things look good so far....

So maybe if you are having client problems, post through the proxy and country stats be damned!

Hope this helps

Dave

Thanks a bunch for the suggestion. I was just about to wail publicly over the fact that I've had to restart my clients 5-10 times in the last couple of days. Come to think of it, I guess I just did.

Anyhoo, thanks again for the tip,
    Mikael

yeah, I don't really understand why that works, but you can do it if you want.

i'm actually VERY close to a new version of the client that fixes this and a ton of other pesky problems. it may be out as early as today or tomorrow. i'll keep you posted.

-Louie

great, looking forward to it
    EatMaDust

Stop Microsoft turning into Big Brother!
    http://www.againsttcpa.com

lost in space. Hey who took my bread crumbs. Now I cant find my way home.
    same here. After having zero problems with 2 machines its gotten to the point that I have to shutdown each machine and reboot every hour on the hour to get any kind of production. I don't have the rime for this.
    grandmother. ver 3.0

This is VERY good news. I had given up on SB due to excessive client stalls over the past month. I no longer have time to check every machine on a daily basis, and definitely don't have time to automate the checking process, so it will certainly help to get rid of the client stall problem.

Looking forward to it!

i think thursday is going to be release day for the new client. well in time for the Arstechnica gauntlet that's coming up.

testing is still continuing but I'm pretty sure all the networking hangs have been fixed.

the multiple open sockets bug is also completely fixed.

the "abandoned test" code is completely removed.

there is a new an option that allows the client to finish a test and not download another upon completion (a lot of people have asked for this option).

i'm writing a small readme file. most of you don't need it but it may help new users. the in-client signup is improved too.

oh, and it appears it may be faster on P4 machines since the SSE2 code has been improved.

i'm still adding more. i'll keep everyone posted as it progresses.

-Louie

Great news!

Getting a new client is great news Louie

It does seem strange that posting through the proxy work better, but it definitely does. I left one computer at 1717 - It's client hung and the others didn't.

I also failed to mention in my initial post that I was having the problems despite using the service. Everything is in order now.

Dave

lost in space. Hey who took my bread crumbs. Now I cant find my way home.
    great. Glad to here a new client is due soon.
    grandmother. ver 3.0