Thread: cpu speed question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

cpu speed question

So, I took guru's and speedraider's advice and bought a i5 4690. Except when it arrived it was a 4590. That's what I get for dealing with a minor name, it was antonline.com through newegg.com's website. I've always liked newegg, but this reseller lied about the cpu.

Anyway, it was pretty close in performance, so I set it up and ran it. It's a Dell, runs nice, very quiet, too quiet. Running prime95 with 4 cores at 100%, it's doing high 30s ms/iteration. My i5 2400 is low 20s ms/iteration, my athlon II x645 is high 40s. This i5 4590 should be high teens.

I put the win 7 performance settings all to high, I tried speedstep and turboboost off and on. No difference. cpuid hwmonitor and openhardwaremonitor both look normal, except the temps are way low for 100% load, AND the cpu is running at about 40 watts. Should be over 80. The fans are running, but slowly. On boot the cpu fan does speed up for a moment, so I don't think it's faulty. If it were it would heat up, I'd think. Here's what it looks like with both monitor programs. Any ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_02 Feb. 28 20.55.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	1385

First mistake is getting anything Dell. They like to cripple perfectly good hardware to save a buck. It is possible the memory is holding the system back. Try some other benchmarks to see. Give rc5 a try as it is all CPU and no dependency on memory.
    I'm having fun!!! I'm just not sure if it's net fun or gross fun.

Or you can try to run enigma, Helix is needing some help in there for FreeDC.
    http://www.enigmaathome.net/

Optimized clients:

http://www.enigmaathome.net/forum_th...tyle=8&start=0

I've not used boinc before, I installed and chose enigma, it wants an email and password. I pm'ed Helix through the free-dc pm function to see if he wants to share that info.

The hardware monitors both show the memory as ddr3 1600. It's weird that the cpu is running on 40 watts but showing full frequency. It could be a bug in the hardware monitoring programs that don't read Intel chip temps right, but the i5 2400 I have does show 80+ watts with the same programs.

I would run some benchmarks on it and compare it to others to get a feel for the system. Can you post a link to the system you purchased? Also run the SOB benchmark and post the numbers.
    I'm having fun!!! I'm just not sure if it's net fun or gross fun.

The box is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA24G2HZ2404 Mine is the only review. I'm not sure what you mean by Sob benchmark. Here's what three boxes running Sob are doing. Top one is the system in question.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_20 Mar. 03 10.36.jpg 
Views:	597 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	1386