Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Server down?

Quote Originally Posted by AG5BPilot View Post

SoB:
    Completed workunits: 1089
    What is a "workunit"?

Quote Originally Posted by jMcCranie View Post
    What is a "workunit"?
    For the purposes of this discussion, "a candidate", .i.e., a number to be tested, is a reasonable definition.

OK, so how about: no double checking to try to resolve the conjecture nearly twice as quickly, but if and when it gets down to only one k with unknown status, run a double check on those.

----Added----

I'll make an analogy. Suppose that there are a large number of boxes. A small number of boxes contain a diamond and you want to find diamonds. The first time you look in a specific box, if it contains a diamond, there is a 5% chance that you will not see it.

Should you (1) spend half of your time double-checking boxes you have already opened, or (2) open as many boxes as you can? I would open as many boxes as I can.
    It is important to note that the boxes are numbered, and
    1) The lower numbered boxes are more likely to contain a diamond than the higher numbered boxes.
    2) The higher numbered boxes are harder to open than the lower numbered boxes.
    Joe O

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O View Post
    It is important to note that the boxes are numbered, and
    1) The lower numbered boxes are more likely to contain a diamond than the higher numbered boxes.
    2) The higher numbered boxes are harder to open than the lower numbered boxes.
    Taking that a bit further, the difficulty of opening the boxes is proportional to the square of the box number, and the overall chance of finding a diamond (taking into account how hard it is to open the box as well as the likelihood of a given box containing a diamond) is inversely proportional approximately to the cube of the box number times the logarithm of the box number. Diamonds in higher numbered boxes are much harder to find. You really don't want to miss the easy ones, ever.

The allure of progressing twice as fast is obvious, but the penalty for missing a prime is tremendous.

Mike, please check your email for my results.txt files.

Greetings,

about the double check discussion.

I like to remind you guys that at least one of the primes was found via secondpass - that means a prime was missed with the firstpass tests, aka we already had a false negative - right in the SoB project. (the one at ~3M)

Chris

All true. Just saying. Hate to go 10 miles down the road and find out we missed the turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Greetings,

about the double check discussion.

I like to remind you guys that at least one of the primes was found via secondpass - that means a prime was missed with the firstpass tests, aka we already had a false negative - right in the SoB project. (the one at ~3M)

Chris

Is there any word on the SeventeenOrBust project?

Is there any word on the SeventeenOrBust project?
    Nothing new to report.

Rest assured that someone (probably me, unless Louie jumps in) will let you know any information as soon as we know anything.

If I were Louie, I wouldn't give up until every last possibility was tried. And that may take a while.

Just emailed a results.txt - close to 5 years worth

If I can find the others I will send them too

I also believe double checks are worth it. Basically, if we have a 5% error rate, then it's even faster to find a prime if we can complete a double check in 1/20th the time of an initial check.

A recent change at GIMPS is to send out a double check assignment to everyone when they first join and once every year. This helps the project find bad computers quickly so their work can be double checked immediately. Sending out a double check at the beginning is also good in that new users get to finish something sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by AG5BPilot View Post
    Nothing new to report.

Rest assured that someone (probably me, unless Louie jumps in) will let you know any information as soon as we know anything.
    I did say I'd let you know as soon as I heard anything, so here it is. It's not good news, unfortunately.

There's no hope of recovering the data or software from the SoB server. It's gone. SoB is not coming back.

Louie has asked us to take over the entire SoB search. We intend to do so, but I can't tell you exactly what that means. For now, we are crunching all 6 Ks in the 31M < n < 32M range, and we'll continue with that until we decide how to move forward.

You are all, of course, welcome to come on over to PrimeGrid and help with SoB.

I'd like, at this point, to sincerely thank everyone who sent us their log files. Of all the information we've been able to gather from different sources, I suspect that your log files may end up being the most useful. They contain the most recent information, regarding the largest tasks. Those are most useful.

Thanks for the update, bad news is better than not knowing. I've been peeking at this forum and PrimeGrid's forum every few days to see if there's been any updates.

Want some good news?

There's now 5 Ks remaining in the Sierpinski Problem.

Blog Entries
    Missed whole thing and come here from PG announcement.

Got mixed feelings, dammit.
    Really miss sob.com ((((( fancy stats, once-a-year news ^_^, fffffff,...........
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Blog Entries
    domain will expire in few days.

can someone 1. prolong if for year maybe. it will be pity to lose such valued domain.
    2. set a redirect from it to primegrid appropriate page?
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12