Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: P-1 thread discussions

Sieve it, baby!
    Integrating the sieve into the client would be possible IMHO - it takes some time to accomplish it, of course.
    But you're right, factoring directly helps the people searching for a prime, as a factor found prior to the PRP run makes the latter obsolete. Of course, sieving basically has the same properties as mentioned above, but it works on all k/n pairs, not on the current one specifically.

Hm, sounds a bit like capitalism vs. communism to be...

Sieving has the advantage that the computational effort can be set with a very fine granularity (down to just a bit more than 1p). One can choose whether it takes 5 minutes or 5 days on a certain PC.

Integrating sieving into the main client makes it possible to use the optimal tool for the respective PC architecture - assuming the user sets a preference like "help the project most".
    Maybe slow computers and non-SSE2 CPUs are used mainly for sieving, whereas SSE2-equipped ones get to factor and PRP. Thinking of a resource allocation model, I guess a lot of the (faster) non-SSE2 CPUs will factor/PRP as well...

From Garo,

sievedepth factorvalue B1 B2 chanceoffactor
    Old Version
    48 2 50k 575k 1.26%
    49 2 40k 430k .911%
    50 2 30k 322k .626%

New Version
    49 2 40k 430k .925%
    48.5 2 45k 506k 1.1%
    48.5 1.9 45k 483k 1.08%
    48.5 1.8 40k 430k 1%
    48.5 1.5 30k 285k .793%
    48.5 1.4 25k 231k .687%
    48.5 1.3 20k 180k .573%
    48.5 1.25 20k 170k .564%

Perhaps we should make this upper portion a sticky,

Also is there are benifit difference etc for these settings with respect to cache size.

For example, alot of computer have either 256k or 512k L1 cache

48.5 1.25 20k 170k .564%
    was quoted to be the best setting which would be 150K,

However,

48.5 1.5 30k 285k .793% would fit into a 256K cache

and a custom b1 b2 bounds or potentially some 49 1.x could yeild bounds of

20K 530K or something, this maybe best for 512K bartons etc.

Of course it changes p-1 time but certain bounds may be best suited for particular processor optimization.

Certainly. My results are from a P4 2.8 Xeon dual processor with 500MB allocated to sobpm1, Other systems may have varying results.

Sieve it, baby!
    Originally posted by vjs
    For example, alot of computer have either 256k or 512k L1 cache
    L2 cache, I guess...

However,
    48.5 1.5 30k 285k .793% would fit into a 256K cache
    I don't have insights into the factoring algorithm and its memory needs, but I don't think that you can equal B2 value (in digits) and L2 cache size (in Bits).
    For Step2, you need a lot of RAM - 256MB is good, 512 MB maybe even a bit better...

I don't have insights into the factoring algorithm and its memory needs, but I don't think that you can equal B2 value (in digits) and L2 cache size (in Bits).
    Arrgh, , disregard my comments looks like I'm getting change back from my 0.02 this time for sure.

Probable Bug in Prime95 sob p-1 code

While p-1 factoring a probable Bug in Prime 95 appeared: After a few seconds, the factorisation stops and the error "SUMOUT error occurred." is raised.

The program uses 1024k FFT, and can use 300M of memory (220 M on a diffetrent computer).
    This problem is reproducible and appears with exponents starting from 9104171 up to 11400000. at that limit, there are roundoff errors every iteration. At 11450000 everything is fine again with the next larger FFT (1280k).

I used the base 67607, but I think that is not that important.

I agree that this is not that important at the moment because the factoring limit is at 7.2M but later it could be a problem.

regards,
    Reto

Hater of webboards
    Now I finally found some time to try Georges new code.

And as I needed a way to generate a worktodo.ini, I though that I could pull the code from the old factorer that reads the SoB.dat so I could avoid having to start the old factorer, stop it again, copy a part of it's output to a temporary file and using garo's awk command.

Well, it was no problem finding the code, but it seemed fu..... ugly, so I decided to start over in Perl. The result is the following Perl-script for appending (i.e. you can add new tests before it's done with the old ones) new tests to worktodo.ini:
    Code:
    #! /usr/bin/perl

use strict;
    use warnings;

my $kval;
    my $current_n;
    my $count;
    my @tests;

if ($#ARGV != 3) {
        print("Usage: make_worktodo.pl <n_low> <n_high> <factor depth> <factor value>\n");
        print("$#ARGV\n");
        exit(-1);
    }

my $n_low = $ARGV[0];
    my $n_high = $ARGV[1];
    my $depth = $ARGV[2];
    my $value = $ARGV[3];

open(DATFILE, "<SoB.dat") or die "Couldn't open dat file\n";

# Remove the first 3 lines
    <DATFILE>;
    <DATFILE>;
    <DATFILE>;

my $line;
    while ($line = <DATFILE>) {
        chomp $line;
        if ($line =~ /^k=(\d+)/) {
    	$kval=$1;
    	$current_n = <DATFILE>;
        } else {
    	$line =~ m/\+(\d+)/;
    	$current_n += $1;
        }
        if (($current_n < $n_high) and ($current_n >= $n_low)){
    	push @tests,{ 'k' => $kval, 'n' => $current_n };
    	$count++;
        }
    }
    close(DATFILE);

print "$count numbers with $n_low <= n < $n_high\n";

my $removed = 0;
    my $factor_k;
    my $factor_n;
    my $test;

print "Searching for known factors in results.txt...\n";
    open(RESULTSFILE,"<results.txt") or die "Failed to open factor file!\n";
    <RESULTSFILE>;
    while ($line = <RESULTSFILE>) {
        next unless $line =~ m/^\d+\s+(\d+)\s+(\d+)/;
        $factor_k = $1;
        $factor_n = $2;

next if (($factor_n >= $n_high) or ($factor_n < $n_low));

for(my $i = 0; $i < $count; $i++) {
    	next unless (defined($tests[$i]));
    	if (($tests[$i]{'k'} == $factor_k) and ($tests[$i]{'n'} == $factor_n)) {
    	    delete $tests[$i];
    	    $count--;
    	    $removed++;
    	}
        }
    }
    close(RESULTSFILE);
    print "Removed $removed numbers using the factor file\n";

print "$count numbers with $n_low <= n < $n_high\n";
    @tests = sort { $$a{'n'} <=> $$b{'n'}; } grep { defined } @tests;

open(WORKFILE,'>>worktodo.ini');
    foreach $test (@tests) {
        print WORKFILE "Pfactor=$$test{'k'},2,$$test{'n'},1,$depth,$value\n";
    }
    close(WORKFILE);
    It takes four arguments, n_low, n_high, factor_depth and factor_value.

It works on my Linux box, and just might be portable (the only thing I can see that might need changing on windows is \n as end-of-line).

I find this quite easy, and thought some of you might like it too. As usual this is free software.

thanks so much hc_grove, your script works like a charm.

I had to remove a single line-break and an emty line before in the third last line to make it look like this before the factorer accepted the input
    Code:
        print WORKFILE "Pfactor=$$test{'k'},2,$$test{'n'},1,$depth,$value\n";
    *edit* it seems the linebreak is something this forum does and extra space is something this forum does to the script *edit*

Hater of webboards
    Originally posted by Frodo42

*edit* it seems the linebreak is something this forum does and extra space is something this forum does to the script *edit*
    I also looks wrong here, but if I try to edit it, the code looks fine, so this is just shows one of the reasons I hate web-based forums.

Tonight I'll upload a copy to my page on factoring, that should make it possible to get a copy without having to fix this.

Hater of webboards
    Originally posted by hc_grove
    Tonight I'll upload a copy to my page on factoring, that should make it possible to get a copy without having to fix this.
    Done. You can now download make_worktodo.pl.

Hater of webboards

Running multiple copies of George's new factorer?

I'm having some trouble making multiple copies of George's new fatorer run on a dual P4 Xeon. To make it easier to run a number og prp/sieve/factoring jobs on a bunch of machines, I've created some scripts to start the programs on a given machine.
    My scripts for starting the new factorer looks like this:
    Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    cd ~/17orbust/p-1_1
    ./mprime -A1 &
    and
    Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    cd ~/17orbust/p-1_2
    ./mprime -A2 &
    (I left out the parts that just makes it easier for me to keep track of which jobs run on which machines and vice versa)

When I try to run these two scripts on the same machine (called shannon), the following happens:
    Code:
    grove@galois > ./on shannon p-1_1
    grove@galois > ./on shannon p-1_2
    grove@galois > Another mprime is already running!
    What am I doing wrong? Or is it just totally impossible to run multiple copies?

I run two copies on a dual machine without any problem. However, I do not think you need the -A1 command if you run in two different directories. Check your scripts again! I bet the problem is there.

Hater of webboards
    Originally posted by garo
    I run two copies on a dual machine without any problem.
    Good to hear. How?

However, I do not think you need the -A1 command if you run in two different directories.
    Removing them changes nothing.

Running two mprimes ought to work. Try copying mprime to another directory and running the second mprime from there.

Or you could ask the linux gurus at mersenneforum.org for more help.

Hater of webboards
    Originally posted by prime95
    Running two mprimes ought to work. Try copying mprime to another directory and running the second mprime from there.
    As my scripts show, I already run them from different directories.

Or you could ask the linux gurus at mersenneforum.org for more help.
    I'll try that.

OK, a basic sanity check but did you do a ps -ef to see if there is some long lost mprime process that might be hung or something?

Also your method for invoking the scripts looks a bit funny:

Are the scripts really called "on" and do they take two arguments? And what directories are you invoking the shell scripts from? Please post more details.

Hater of webboards
    Originally posted by garo
    OK, a basic sanity check but did you do a ps -ef to see if there is some long lost mprime process that might be hung or something?
    I used `ps x`, but yes I checked that.

Also your method for invoking the scripts looks a bit funny:

Are the scripts really called "on" and do they take two arguments? And what directories are you invoking the shell scripts from? Please post more details.
    "on" is a script that takes two arguments, a hostname and the name of a directory. It updates some status information on what jobs run on which machines, and then runs
    "$HOME/17orbust/<directory>/job.sh" on the machine given by the hostname. job.sh is the scripts I showed earlier, and as can be seen they change the working directory to the directory they are placed in. This is possible because my home directory is NFS mounted on all of the machines.

The point of this scheme is that it allows me to use "on" to start prp clients, sieve clients and factoring clients on any machine -- as the machines are a mix of athlons, P3's and P4's it could distribute the clients quite silly, but it still makes sense to have one command do it all so I don't have to worry about the specifics of each client.

Forgotten Member
    [Wed Sep 29 01:48:27 2004 - ver HE-3]
    Error: Work-to-do file contained composite exponent: 4847

Im getting this message when im running mprime, this is after i used the worktodo pl file posted on the board.

Is this normal?

Pfactor=33661,2,7200144,1,48.5,1.25
    Pfactor=4847,2,7200183,1,48.5,1.25
    Pfactor=28433,2,7200193,1,48.5,1.25

Done. You can now download make_worktodo.pl.
    Thanks.

I was wondering if you could implement some kind of propability calculation ... I miss that from the old version of sbfactor, even though I'm not sure that one was very exact.

Hater of webboards
    Originally posted by Frodo42
    I was wondering if you could implement some kind of propability calculation ... I miss that from the old version of sbfactor, even though I'm not sure that one was very exact.
    I never really tried to understand that part of the code, so I don't know how the probabilties were calculated. Of course I could just copy the code, but I suspect that to be quite a lot of work, so even though I miss that too, I have no plans to do it.

I still hope that George will release the binary objects that does the work, to use with the sbfactor.

Hi all

I asked about an optimized (as in PRP V2) client for P-1 and was directed back here. Since I've not participated in this thread yet I feel a bit confused.

I assume the new P-1 client is 'George's new client'. Although I have no idea who George is, I assume the client is Prime95.exe. I've downloaded sobpm1.zip expecting to find instructions of some sort (as implied in some early posts) but did not. I also gather I have to build a worktodo.ini and will try the .pl script above, hopefully it works on Windows. Is this P4 only? I guess I will find out...

Could someone confirm, deny, explain, refute, crystalise or obfuscate where necessary? Thanks!

OK. I generated a worktodo.ini using the perl script - looks fine. Started Prime95 in stress test mode, then clicked File...Continue. It looked like it started processing, then it 'encountered a problem and needed to close'. Since this is a P3, I guess Prime95.exe is P4 only.

Originally posted by hc_grove
    I never really tried to understand that part of the code, so I don't know how the probabilties were calculated. Of course I could just copy the code, but I suspect that to be quite a lot of work, so even though I miss that too, I have no plans to do it.
    OK.
    I have no clue how these probabilities are calculated so I can't be of much help there, I just liked the output.

Sieve it, baby!
    That special version of prime95 is for SSE2-capable CPUs only, right.
    "George" is George Woltman, the guy (at least, but most likely not restraint to) behind the PRP part of the client for GIMPS, and thus basically for the core code of SoB. His FFT routines also power P-1 factoring.

He used this prime95.exe version to test the new FFT routines, as a missed factor due to a bug is not as severe as a missed prime when PRPing. Some errors where found and corrected in this process.
    The current version shows up only the bug mentioned by biwema so far.

I guess the schedule for Louie et al. is the following:

- Get SBv2 on route (it takes some effort, but increases performance somewhat)

I don't know if they will wait until the x87 code is available, I guess not. Those machines that benefit from it are those that don't benefit from the SSE2 enhancements anyway, so an update v2 --> v2.1 doesn't make sense anyway...
    More likely seems to be a v2.1
    However, they will wait until the 1M FFT bug is fixed.

- Finish SBv3
    either with integrated P-1 factoring or:

- Integrate P-1 factoring into the client as a plugin

All p-1'er should head on over to the sieve section Mike has updated the dat file. Pretty small d/l compared to results.txt on a daily basis.

All p-1'er should head on over to the sieve section Mike has updated the dat file. Pretty small d/l compared to results.txt on a daily basis.
    Following on from this, I've been doing a few experiments.

Since most of the P-1 work is done within 500M of the edge of the PRP leading edge, I wondered how large an sob.dat file which has just those factors in would be. Answer is 82KB, 16KB when zipped.

Seems better to me to be regulaly downloading a 16KB file instead of a 505KB file (my daily updating 'full' sob.dat), or a 1.83MB file (the 6 hourly updated results.txt)

So if I generated this new file daily, would anyone be interested?

Sieve it, baby!
    Originally posted by MikeH
    So if I generated this new file daily, would anyone be interested?
    Sounds great! Fabulous idea!

Sounds great! Fabulous idea!
    OK, the new small zipped sob.dat file is about 16KB in size. As with the other similar files it will be updated daily at about 03:00 UK time.

The current file spans n = 7081949 to 7581949.

I've vaidated the file by picking a few ranges and enuring that the k/n pairs that are spat out to be tested are the same with this new file as with an exsiting sob.dat and new results.txt combination.

If you download this file regulaly, you won't need to download the results.txt file.

DO NOT USE THIS FILE TO SIEVE. I'm sure to will make the sieve very fast, but you will find very few factors! I Repeat. DO NOT USE THIS FILE TO SIEVE.

OK I think I found some kind of bug in the new factorer. I started testing the k,n pairs that run on my machines with very high bounds and appearantly I found a very big factor for one of them, but for it seems that the it can't output the factor the right way, maybe its just the output variable that can't containt the factor.

Code:
    [Sun Oct 10 20:35:46 2004]
    P-1 found a factor in stage #2, B1=135000, B2=1991250.
    19249*2^7084433+1 has a factor: 100985139
    So I'm stuck with this k,n pair that I know has a factor but I don't know that factor. Now I don't want to release the k,n pair again before I have submitted the factor so that someone else won't get this test.

It could also be some other kind of bug in the factorer.

btw. this is run using the linux-version of Georges factorer ... I think I will try to run the test on the old factorer and with the same bounds to see what output it gives me, even thought that will take something like 2 times that of the current factorer.

(added a few minutes later)

Oops, typo in the input to the factorer. The input should have been
    19249*2^7084418
    Sorry for creating all this havock ... I just wasted a few CPU-hours here
    Last edited by Frodo42; 10-10-2004 at 03:18 PM.

Just wondering if it makes any sence to try p-1 with very large bounds on some of the k/n pairs below prp. For example those that are holding back n-upper bounds, or those in the 90-day window that have 5-10% with a very low rate, and again above upper bounds?

Sieve it, baby!
    AFAIK, factoring is more effective (compared to PRPing) the bigger n is.

Another quick question about P-1, I asked this before but I'd like to ask again,

I know sieve and P-1 are different animals but...

If there is a factor for a particular k/n pair at 557T, sieve will definetly find that factor.

However is P-1 also going to find it 100% of the time???

I think the answer is no, b/c P-1 onlly find's smooth factors.

So what are the chances of the factor being missed, by P-1 if a factor around 557T exists etc.

vjs, you are correct. P-1 will miss a factor if it is not smooth. The chances of the factor being missed depend on the bounds (B1,B2) chosen of P-1. The math is a bit complex. I would recommend "A Practical Analysis of the Elliptic Curve Factoring Algorithm" by Robert Silverman and Samuel Wagstaff, Mathmatics of Computation, Vol 61, No. 203, pp445-462

Your quest is related to the Dickman's function and Merten's theorems discussed in that paper. Essentially the chance that a factor p will be missed given that it exists is simply the chance that p-1 does not satisfy the bounds.

A new prime95 is available that should work on non-SSE2 machines too. This also fixes the bug where prime95 blew up running P-1 on exponents above 9 million or so. The new version is at ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/p95v246.zip Let me know if there are any problems. If all goes well I'll upload a Linux version soon.

Forgotten Member
    prime95, can you test your latest verson of mprime on kernel 2.6.10-rc or above (on rc3-bk10 currently), on my Opteron boxes running mprime segfaults, where on 2.6.9 it does not. I think something about the virtual memory layout has changed causing the program to crash. Unfortunatly I dont have a P4 that I can test with a 2.6.10 kernel to see if this is only affecting 32 bit programs on the 64 bit platform.

..buch of stuff before here...
    open("/proc/meminfo", O_RDONLY) = 3
    fstat64(0x3, 0xffffd3e4) = 0
    mmap2(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, 0x3 /* MAP_??? */, 34, 0xffffffff) = 0x55555000
    read(3, "MemTotal: 1026248 kB\nMemFre"..., 1024) = 600
    close(3) = 0
    munmap(0x55555000, 4096) = 0
    open("/proc/meminfo", O_RDONLY) = 3
    fstat64(0x3, 0xffffd3e4) = 0
    mmap2(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, 0x3 /* MAP_??? */, 34, 0xffffffff) = 0x55555000
    read(3, "MemTotal: 1026248 kB\nMemFre"..., 1024) = 600
    close(3) = 0
    munmap(0x55555000, 4096) = 0
    --- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
    +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++
    [root@james pixl]#
    Script done on Thu 16 Dec 2004 12:16:13 AM CST
    gdb mprime /start/step/ info
    Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
    0x0828e745 in _ecpuidsupport ()
    Last edited by pixl97; 12-17-2004 at 01:30 AM.

pixl97, if you want a quicker reply you should probably post in the mersenneforum as well. Though George(prime95) will eventually check this thread again so if you are patient, no worries.

Originally posted by prime95
    A new prime95 is available that should work on non-SSE2 machines too. This also fixes the bug where prime95 blew up running P-1 on exponents above 9 million or so. The new version is at ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/p95v246.zip Let me know if there are any problems. If all goes well I'll upload a Linux version soon.
    Did we ever get that Linux-version? ... we are closing in on the 9 million border now and I would like to keep my two P4's busy factoring ...

Yes the 24.6 Linux version is available at http://mersenne.org/gimps But I'd wait a day or two before downloading it as the mersenne server seems swamped by the attention due to the new prime find M42.

Thank you Garo ... I guess I should keep an eye on the mersenne forum also.

Humm,

I did 8910000 through 8910500 10 k/n pairs and didn't find a factor...

I was doing stage1 testing only with B1=B2=150000

I was sort of expecting to find something...

Any suggestions for a B2=xxxx pass

Not looking to do a large number of factorings just find one large factor in the range of 8910000 - 8911000 ...

Should I go with the standard b2=b1x100 for stage2?

P.S. BTW I'm using sbfactor 1.2.5.5

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast