Thread: Windows 7 - you going to switch?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Thumbs down Windows 7 / Vista gets Thumbs down here

I have ONE and only 1 XP-SP1 machine... which is required due to driver support.... Otherwise what I have is Win/2k in Virtualbox (which is faster than can believe) or a dual boot. It's faster on Fedora-8 AMD64 virtualization then native.... Figure that one out.

Only MS can take the FreeBSD Unix kernel and hack it up to the point where it is both unusable and unrecognizable. Yet MAC's have the same kernel (plus a few 'Mac adjustments') and it works on even an X86 machine. So where is the Mac G6 / G7 ???? it's long overdue... like 4 years worth!!!!

IMHO, were it not for the Apple influence in OSX, we'ld have another MS POS.... Perhaps MS should let go of Apple or just let Apple tell them HOW to write an OS. MS admits that Office is unmaintainable.

Also IMHO, MS is getting so desperate with the Linux threat (that they have known is coming for HOW MANY YEARS?) and STILL can't do it right? Vista was BSD Unix with their GUI, and they still missed the boat.

Respectfully to all involved... If I were to see the ROCK-SOLID W/2K revitalized with up to date drivers and NO GUI changes, we might have something. All that is needed is the NT V5 (or was it V4) kernel extensions which MS refused to install in W/2k and keep the GUI as it is, we would be fine. Dave Cutler and gang knew what they were doing.

XP has its uses.... but I believe that's only because of drivers/mobo/cpu support... Let's put that into 2k and we'll be better off than ever.....

Now, tell that to MS????? Right.... I bet they still have Linux / Unix servers at the heart of their infrastructure.

So who at MS is suffering from ???

Sounds like we do have a concensus here.... W/XP drivers/mobo/cpu support ported back to 2K.

What I would like to hear is how 2K8 in 64 bit mode stacks up against XP, Vista, Linux, and especially 2K. Most importantly... Given 2K8 is 2K-like..... (as I am told... but ask to be corrected as need be)... is it really worth it and is it truly 64 bit native and not a CPU pig?

I hear it's fast, clean and does what we apparantly need/want.... Could that be why MS is advertising specials on '..A server in the house ? ' ???

I'm done with my 2 cents and , but with them being , they certainly need a good and.

C.

EDIT: Anyone in favor of a REAL OS.... get Linux (yes even Fedora FC-8... NOT 9 or 10) and you will have a stable machine with real gui and CONTROL over what you want. I don't know how many people think my plain FC-8 (gnome) is 'Vista or XP on steroids'.... That says a lot, doesn't it? (I've been using Linux/Unix since 1983 if that means anything).

FINAL edit: Word I am told from my EU friends is that Linux is HOW they are beating us... Is that worth considering?
    Last edited by Chuck; 01-14-2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Edit clause. + final edit

A FDC in training, fellow supporter of Firefox.

Proudly crunching with AMD & ATI power.
    If you want The Best you must forget the Rest
    >>>>>>>>>and join Free-DC<<<<<<<<<<<