Thread: GPU or CPU

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    So lets see If I understand how these numbers work
    From what I gather the first number 38,46,48, 57, 58 are like the chip series and the 50, 70, 90 are the chip speed
    Boy I am a slow learner

Lauren, great work!

But shouldn't you be doing Primegrid?

Blog Entries
    Ya But first I have to retrofit my X2 fleet with the Latest GPU laser targeting systems
    Or Bad things can Happen

Have any of you ever gotten the message "ATI GPU has become unusable; disabling tasks". Then BOINC doesn't see the GPU any more and stops using it. If I reboot the computer it starts working fine again.

Anyone have this problem or know what is going on? Was working very well for a long time but this has been happening periodically in Collatz over the past couple of weeks.

The GPU causes itself to "reset" because of some fault. Make sure you have the most resent BOINC and ATI drivers. If necessary, detach then re-attach after all new software has been installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Parasite View Post
    Have any of you ever gotten the message "ATI GPU has become unusable; disabling tasks". Then BOINC doesn't see the GPU any more and stops using it. If I reboot the computer it starts working fine again.

Anyone have this problem or know what is going on? Was working very well for a long time but this has been happening periodically in Collatz over the past couple of weeks.
    What your getting is commonly called a VPU error. It just happens sometimes. To make the best of it try the Catalyst 9.12 drivers without the caralyst software. Also make sure there is not a screen saver that will run and that the monitor will not powerdown after so many minutes. The other thing I do is to reboot the systems every 3 days whether they need it or not.
    19 primes found. The largest: 1351*2^617684+1 (185945 digits)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    What your getting is commonly called a VPU error. It just happens sometimes. To make the best of it try the Catalyst 9.12 drivers without the caralyst software. Also make sure there is not a screen saver that will run and that the monitor will not powerdown after so many minutes. The other thing I do is to reboot the systems every 3 days whether they need it or not.
    Thanks guys, I upgraded from 9.11 to 9.12+hotfix and so far it seems to be runny without an VPU errors. I don't have any screen savers but I did have the monitor set to power down which I left because I don't really want to use any more power than I have do since the GPU is doing enough of that. ;-)

Anyway, running fine so far.

Well it's happened again. For the second time since I've been running GPUs, I've had a fan failure on an Nvidia GTX260. This one lasted for about 13 months. I can't stress enough how important a good warranty is. It is on its way back and I should have it again in 2 - 4 weeks. Ok Laurenu2 here is your chance to catch me.
    19 primes found. The largest: 1351*2^617684+1 (185945 digits)