Thread: RNA World

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Micheal - just a thought you what FS you using on the Raid Ext2 or 3 if it's 3 you WILL see bottlenecking. We had that here wonder why rebuilt the server almost until we say EXT3 switched to EXT2 no journalling runs super fast
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Well, using the CMS WU shortage period for server analysis and tweaking within a day we have already modified a number of things and we think it works well now. For example we run the WU generation as RAM disk avoiding HD load which dramatically speeds up things and resolves the HD bottleneck issue. Concerning the file system, I actually assumed it must be ext2 but I will make sure by talking to our sysadmin. Anyway, thanks for the hint.

Michael.
    http://www.rechenkraft.net - Germany's largest distributed computing community

- - - - - - - - - -
    RNAs are nanomachines or nanomachine building blocks. Examples: The ribosome, RNase P, the cellular protein secretion machinery and the spliceosome.

Blog Entries
    So how long do you think we (windows users) will be out of work
    Just remember anything linux can do we can do better and more of it oke:

It shouldn't take much longer. Approx. two thirds of the CMC WUs are already completed. Thereafter, a Windows session will start.

Michael.

- - - - - - - - - -
    RNAs are nanomachines or nanomachine building blocks. Examples: The ribosome, RNase P, the cellular protein secretion machinery and the spliceosome.

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Hi Michael,

I have some cmc units on a linux 64bit which are at 90hrs (82%) and 50hrs (43%) is this ok? Most others on the same machine have ran in a few hours at most..

Bok

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    Hi Michael,

I have some cmc units on a linux 64bit which are at 90hrs (82%) and 50hrs (43%) is this ok? Most others on the same machine have ran in a few hours at most..
    Yes, that is completely normal. In fact, these we call "in the monster WU range". I have one now at 90 hrs with 35% done on my AMD 955 BE Quad-Core. That one is the second largest we have in the pipeline. But often, especially these long WUs suddenly finish, so their total run time indication more frequently is overestimated compared to the small CMC WUs. We also do not fully understand why this happens. So we just have to accept it as a fact at present.

Michael.

- - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gopher_yarrowzoo View Post
    Micheal - just a thought you what FS you using on the Raid Ext2 or 3 if it's 3 you WILL see bottlenecking. We had that here wonder why rebuilt the server almost until we say EXT3 switched to EXT2 no journalling runs super fast
    Could you please specify a bit more in detail what exactly the problems were with EXT3? We figured that our server has EXT3 as well (to my surprise).

Michael.

- - - - - - - - - -

Please do not be surprised if the RNA World server is unreachable for a couple of hours. We have to run a thorough HD hardware check to exclude damage with the file system (don't worry - everything was backed up in advance and is backed up anyway regularly).
    I will also release additional CMS WUs soon (this week). But details will be found on the main page as usual in the NEWS section.

Michael.

- - - - - - - - - -

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    It to do with the Journals it does any FS transaction aka file read/write gets added in,
    Bok will verify this one, we set up a Super fast new server and after very little time it slowed from 6Mbit transfer rates to Sub 1.5Mbit we pulled it apart re did it still the same redid the chipset drivers the works - see if you can't turn the Journalling off in EXT3..
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

New CMS work ahead some time this weekend. Concerning the EXT3 journalling issue thanks for the information. We will look into it.

Michael.

- - - - - - - - - -

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael H.W. Weber View Post
    New CMS work ahead some time this weekend..
    Michael.
    But but I want it NOW .

I will release around 300.000 CMS WUs, just for a start.

Please stick to preferentially completing the Linux x64 CMC WUs by deactivating CMS if you have Linux x64 machines that still receive CMC WUs (some don't due to our very strict HR settings, so these can work on the upcoming CMS instead if you like) otherwise we will have a WU shortage again later on. The shorter deadline of CMS will make BOINC engage preferentially the new CMS WUs. That's why I ask to transiently deactivate CMS on the relevant boxes.

Michael.

- - - - - - - - - -

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael H.W. Weber View Post
    I will release around 300.000 CMS WUs, just for a start.
    Michael.
    That will be a good for a breakfast
    But what about Dinner