Thread: GPU challenge

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Strange, last night I connected to my computer I've got running DNETC on via Windows Remote Desktop, did my thing, and disconnected with just as I always do. But then I come in this morning and since I disconnected, I've errored out on every task with no computation done at all. Now it says I've hit my daily quota of 400 tasks so I guess I'm not going to get any work done today. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by enderak View Post
    Strange, last night I connected to my computer I've got running DNETC on via Windows Remote Desktop, did my thing, and disconnected with just as I always do. But then I come in this morning and since I disconnected, I've errored out on every task with no computation done at all. Now it says I've hit my daily quota of 400 tasks so I guess I'm not going to get any work done today. :-(
    Are you using an ATI card?

I have noticed the same thing on my system. I have an ATI 4870 and when I use Windows Remote Desktop to connect to that machine for whatever reason BOINC can no longer see the GPU. If you open BOINC and look at the message log you will see some kind of "Can't find GPU or lost GPU" error. When that happens every single task you have queued errors out. Once you log out of Windows Remote Desktop, the GPU is found again (most of the time) and assuming you didn't burn through your daily quota, you can keep going.

Any one else with ATI or NVIDIA experience this? I'm not sure if this is an ATI driver thing or a Windows Remote Desktop thing.

Jeff.

Yep, this happens for me with ATI/RDC also.

I've heard others say this doesn't happen with VNC.

Yes, this is with an ATI card (2x 4870's).

In my message log, there's a message when I logged in says GPU has become unusable, and then a message when I logged off saying GPU has become usable followed by the erroring tasks.

Laurenu2, it looks like you're going to keep the lead. I tried my HD4890 in a different machine today and it dies after 3 to 4 hours. Looks like it's time to RMA it. At least it has a lifetime warranty.

I guess I'll just have to take it easy for a while.
    19 primes found. The largest: 1351*2^617684+1 (185945 digits)

Blog Entries
    Ya I hate when that happens

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    Laurenu2, it looks like you're going to keep the lead.
    Well for this GPU challenge Bigred your the leader right now with 266,214 points
    I started 1.5 days before to make sure it all worked and made 400K
    I Guess I will have to my Nodes to go faster

Quote Originally Posted by LAURENU2 View Post
    Well for this GPU challenge Bigred your the leader right now with 266,214 points
    I started 1.5 days before to make sure it all worked and made 400K
    I Guess I will have to my Nodes to go faster
    Your dominance is now assured. I came to work this morning and found that my HD5850 is dead.
    It didn't even last 2 weeks.

That is about 300,000 a day I'll be missing and if you figure they will be gone for 2 weeks that adds up to about 4.2 million.

Now for the good news. Team is now at #38 with 8,440,090 credits.

I've got 3 Mil. done and 97 to go.
    I think I'll just have to chill out till the cards come back.
    19 primes found. The largest: 1351*2^617684+1 (185945 digits)