Thread: Constellation: Invite-Codes for best Simulation-Ideas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Andreas,
    I never expected you to go for the Orbitz thing. I just sort of wanted to stir the pot so to speak. Since you mentioned Quake Catcher, I'll give you an idea along those lines.

Solar@home
    Using a small solar panel like the ones that come with the solar powered yard lights, create a module to be mounted outside the house. It could be simple and connect by USB or complex and connect by Bluetooth. It could then be used to collect information about the intensity and duration of sunlight received from all over the world. Would this information be useful? Maybe if you were planning solar power installations or growing crops or doing research into solar energy.

It's about a two hour drive from here on s good day. Twenty years ago I was stationed at Panzer Kaserne in Böblingen.

Since you liked the smilie here is another one

19 primes found. The largest: 1351*2^617684+1 (185945 digits)

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    That sounds like a great idea actually. It would probably have to involve some custom electronics to gather and feed the data wirelessly, but it's not so dissimilar to the QCN USB sensors.

Hi Bigred,

what I like about the solar@home idea is, that this can be usefull for more than just one field. so you can tell,
    how much sun-intensity is there for one region and when the sun rises and sets (perhaps not right to the exact second, but qualitatively), what is usefull for the wheather forecasters.
    or it is usefull for the photovoltaic people to find goodareas or se, if there is shadow-fall in this neighborhood blocking the sun for some time of the day.

then there is light polution, what is intersting for astronomers

and perhaps that's crazy, but at the end it's a big black-and-white camera sensor-array .

and it can be one part of a lightning detection array.

and of course it can be rather chep because the sensor pannels like 5x5 cm are not expensive. perhaps they can even been build as DIY, so no boincer has to buy them, BUT only if they can be calibrated somehow.

the only thing I don't know is how to filter errors. just think about light polution and the sensor is active during 8pm and 8am in winter times and it is realy dark, but you set it up near to your house, where your own christmasstree light shines out the window and directly on the pannel. that wouldn't be so wise. this must be handled somehow.

but nevertheless it's a nice idea. so you send in 2 ideas. perhaps you can give one idea to another person .

and, you don't have access to our internal forum, do yo? because I posted this idea on my wishlist .

Andreas

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like BigRed deserves an invite

Still waiting on mine too :P

Andreas
    The sensor could be designed so it could be built from scratch, obtained from the project in kit form or only the circuit board or it could be sent as a completed package. It would just need to include a vairable resistor so that it could be adjusted. Then you would give instructions on how to adjust it. Say place solar panel 20cm from a 100w incandesant bulb and adjust output to 1.2v. The only thing you would have to monitor is the voltage (intensity) and the time (duration). If you wanted to do the bluetooth version, you could even have the solar panel charge the battery for it. I don't think light polution is that much of a problem as below a certian level they just don't put out power. It would be simple enough to test what level of power output you get for certian conditions and consider everything below that as night time.

No I don't have access to your forums. This is about the only place I show up. Really I only gave you one idea. The first one was just to stir things up and try to some of the many people that read the forums here to react. Didn't seem to do much good though. You can give that one to Bok. The next message contains an idea for a project straight out of sci fi and we'll give that one to Laurenu2.

Andreas
    I hope you're sitting down and try not to laugh too hard.

Terraform@home
    This would be a project to find the most effective and efficient method to terraform a planet. In this case we'll use Mars as an example. The end result should be a habitable planet to support human life in comfort. No domes, no bulky space suits, just a place you can walk around like here. It should be able to support food production and biodiversity. Using computer modeling to determine the long term effects of changes to the planet. As an example, I'm no scientist but I know that carbon dioxide causes a planet to warm up. Instead of carbon capture and storage what would happen if we captured it and sent it to Mars. An atmosphere would start to form and as a greenhouse gas it should start to warm the planet. As the planet warms the frozen water deposits thaw and then you can start to send in things (plants) to convert carbon dioxide to oxygen.

The modeling would probably be similar to CPDN and I'm sure there are enough scientists out there with ideas and enough planets that would keep the project going forever. Is it a pratical or usefull project? I don't know but you have to admit I've given you a unique idea for what to do with this worlds excess carbon dioxide.

I'm starting to get the idea that I'm the only one here that reads science fiction.

hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    Sounds like BigRed deserves an invite

Still waiting on mine too :P
    Definitively! He is a fountain of ideas. Without any competing ideas it won't be hard to decide, but even with some other ideas posted here he has given some of the best described ideas of all participating websites so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    Andreas
    I hope you're sitting down and try not to laugh too hard.

Terraform@home
    No, I don't laugh about your idea, the only thing I do is smile, because of your creativety. And your not the only Sci-Fi fan (pointing on myself!) .

Terraforming@home:
    Poluting your own planet is not wise, but polutiing other planetes in a virtual-simulation could be fun. I read some books about this topic and IF anyonewould ever think about doing this there must be preparation, because we can't even estimate our own involvement in global climate, and if we want to change another celestial body we must filter out at least the basic sideeffects. And even then there could be unforseen events.
    I like the idea and perhaps this should be done in cooperation with CPDN, because they have the experise in this field of science.

By the way, Bigred, you made some great ideas allready, perhaps you want to dedicate our spare-ideas to someone, otherwise you will get 1 code out of 10.
    And to the rest of you, DON'T BE SHY! Just do it like Bigred did and post the first think you can remember from a scifi film or tv-series, as long as it is doable with distributed computing.
    Or if you are a model-plane pilot, there are often tasks to do that could also been done with DC. Almost all ideas were space-related so far, but I would like to see aviation based ideas as well.

Andreas

Andreas,
    Like I said, one for Bok and one for Laurenu2. The next three are up for grabs for anyone on the team that wants them.

Asteroids@home
    If Orbit is going to track the objects we need to figure out what to do with them if one is coming our way. What do we use to destroy or deflect them. Lasers, Nukes, rocket motors to change course, space tugs or how about a giant robot with an equally big baseball bat. With different sizes and compositions you might need different solutions for different rocks.

Trajectory@home
    Provided we find a way to deflect that armageddon sized rock, where do we send it to? Do we send it just off in any direction we can or do we send it to the sun or one of the other planets? What would the effects be?

Spacejunk@home
    How do we track and collect all the trash we've left floating around in space?

Those are my last three unless somebody here needs help with one. If you want to claim one of these it is first come first serve so speak up now.