Thread: Stats are down

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bok

When you get her going again, if you dont use Diskeeper, go to Diskeeper - Hyperfast.

I have used Diskeeper for years, and its excellent massive defrag and disc i/o savings, however, with the onset of SSDs, they brought out Hyperfast, and the difference thats made to my SSDs is astonishing, not only performance, but arguably more important disc life as it prevents a huge number of disc writes/IO. As SSDs are hugely sensitive in terms of their lifespan on minimising disc writes, Hyperfast hits the button superbly.

I recenly crunched some WUs who are very heavy on disc writes - this particular WU type create literaly thousands of directories as part of its routine. During my time time crunching them, the Hyperfast pulled out an average of 600,000 saved disc io per day, compared to a WU that is not disc dependent where Hyperfast pulled only 25,000 or so disc writes per day. It works brilliantly, and frankly is a must have for Server SSDs - sprint dont walk and get it together with the main diskeeper program for the servers.

Regards
    Zy

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    hmm dang I guess you aren't meant to leave the house for more than a day...
    Let me know if there is anything I can help with...
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Blog Entries
    I bet gopher broke trying to install my long rang Radar
    come on confess

Hey Lauren not me....
    The Long range radar is on my radar just got a few real life things to get done first my dear friend.

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zydor View Post
    Bok

When you get her going again, if you dont use Diskeeper, go to Diskeeper - Hyperfast.

I have used Diskeeper for years, and its excellent massive defrag and disc i/o savings, however, with the onset of SSDs, they brought out Hyperfast, and the difference thats made to my SSDs is astonishing, not only performance, but arguably more important disc life as it prevents a huge number of disc writes/IO. As SSDs are hugely sensitive in terms of their lifespan on minimising disc writes, Hyperfast hits the button superbly.

I recenly crunched some WUs who are very heavy on disc writes - this particular WU type create literaly thousands of directories as part of its routine. During my time time crunching them, the Hyperfast pulled out an average of 600,000 saved disc io per day, compared to a WU that is not disc dependent where Hyperfast pulled only 25,000 or so disc writes per day. It works brilliantly, and frankly is a must have for Server SSDs - sprint dont walk and get it together with the main diskeeper program for the servers.

Regards
    Zy
    It's all on linux, so products like this wouldn't be of any use. RAID 10 arrays might work, but multiple SSD's with good controllers start getting expensive. I really should have been checking the backups a bit better. I plan to pull the server apart tomorrow and see what can be done. At worst I'll plug in the extra SSD drive I have. (Have to pull apart my windows machine for that, but I'll just use my laptop in the meantime).

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Good news, looks like I've recovered all of the data as far as I can tell. A few tables gave me errors but they are replicated versions anyway so no big deal. Running tests which will take some time but I think it will be back up no later than noon tomorrow. I'll have to put the drives in correctly as they are just loose right now.

I'm going to look into getting 2 external drives (500Gb or would be fine) and running parallel backups to them.

Good job man, thank goodness for that....

www.amdusers.com
    Hey bok, good luck with the re-build and recovery process. Take your time and get it right. Now is a good opportunity for that housekeeping on the server that always got postponed

Hurrah! Back in business Just in time for me to see a milestone I've been after for *ages*

Not had much luck with hardware here either. Lost 2 HDs in the last few weeks, and now another machine is randomly freezing and failing to find an OS. Running out of bits to cannibalise from old machines

Anyway, hadn't realised how much I relied on Free-DC. Might have to make another donation soon

Al.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChertseyAl View Post
    Hurrah! Back in business

Anyway, hadn't realised how much I relied on Free-DC. Might have to make another donation soon
    Al.
    I think everyone should realize how much they use Free-DC and how mush they missed Free-DC Stats when they were down.
    It MIGHT Make them WANT to give a little back to Free-DC.
    I am vary SURE Bok is not to happy about having to strip down other working PC's Just to get the Stats. UP again