Thread: How I miss my PC's Performance...

How I miss my PC's Performance...

I only have 256 Mb ram, and I am using the -rt parameter, so I am constantly paging my HD when I am actually trying to use it, while DF is running which is all the time...

my computer is thrashing the HD, just with my checking a few forums and email.... you dont want to know what its like to try to open Photoshop, or anything actually memory intensive...

I wish I could either A buy some ram, or b turn folding off..

but I can't afford to do either...

sorry... just thought I've been suffering queitly for long enough...

time to vent a little...

Night all...

DF with -rt with only 256MB RAM works just fine here... until I try to fire up Rune.

But I'm running Linux. I assume you're running some flavor of Windows, from the photoshop comment, right? Which flavor?

Same question: What OS are you running? Different OS's do different things...

For instance, I have found that the DF client runs very fast under Win98 (as long as you use -qt), but uses almost all the memory. Under W2K, it uses less total memory, but runs somewhat slower. Ditto for Linux (Suse 7.3). One of the smallest OS footprints, believe it or not, is NT4! Running a bare-bones configuration, with the -rt switch on, I'm still showing 108MB free out of 256!

Give us some more to chew on & we'll try ta help ya get goin'. Photoshop shouldn't slow you down that much!

Win2k...

When I am using the net I usually have
    ICQ, Outlook, and 4-8 IE windows open,
    not to meantion Norton Anti Virius, Pulse, and a macro program I use.. so my memory runs out quick. The DF client at the moment is averaging about 100 meg for this protien.

Just suggestions, mind you...

1. Make sure IE Tools/Options/TempFilesSettings is set for 20 MB or less.

2. IE's history: 8 days or less.

3. Turn off Norton's Auto-Protect except when you're actually downloading files. If you keep viruses out, you don't need to scan everything that's already in, every time you use it! (Unless you have friends over, swapping floppies, etc.) Use your best judgement.

4. If you can, turn off ICQ when you're doing anything intense. It takes more resources than advertised.

5. If you've got Office (doesn't everyone?), make SURE that Find Fast is disabled. It can suck the life out of your disk.

6. Go here and get yourself a copy of TaskInfo. Great proggie, will tell you what's eating what!

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking everyone would just tell me to buy more ram, turn of -rt, of continue to suffer.

I also have winamp going almost non-stop, does anyone know if there is a mp3 player that is lighter then winamp ? I am using ver 2 not 3.

I check the temp internet files, it was at 80 meg, so I have dropped it to 20.

ICQ I know is a hog, but its my main method of communication..

My list being over 300 probably doesn't help, maybe I should trim it...

I'll check out Office later, and I feel more comfortable with Virus scanning always on... just I've had a bad run with virus infections...

Thumbs up

Taskinfo Most excellant!

Thanks!

I'd have to agree.. its is the goods..
    very good

I started it up, and imdediately got a warning about to many GDI objects...

lol..

Originally posted by Alpha_7
    I also have winamp going almost non-stop, does anyone know if there is a mp3 player that is lighter then winamp ? I am using ver 2 not 3.
    Yes. Assuming you are talking MP3 only, "Coolplayer" uses an insanely small percentage of CPU compared to Winamp last I checked. You can find it here. 169kb zipped!

But as I understand it, you aren't lacking CPU, just RAM. I haven't checked to see what Coolplayer's RAM usage is like, but those saved CPU cycles can go towards further folding!