Thread: Welcome Back SpeedRaider!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    pinhodecarlos, what is your SOB user name?
    I don't run SOB, I run another private prime search at mersenneforum.org called RPS.

Doh! Found this in the logs from my i7-3960X

[Tue Feb 10 16:36:23 2015]
    Iteration: 6934673/15990667, Possible error: round off (0.4375) > 0.40
    Continuing from last save file.
    [Tue Feb 10 17:00:31 2015]
    Disregard last error. Result is reproducible and thus not a hardware problem.
    For added safety, redoing iteration using a slower, more reliable method.
    Continuing from last save file.

I still say there is something wonky with the AVX code. I only have crashes on the AVX enabled systems and all of them are running stock speeds. I could accept one or two systems but 4 of 7 systems is a lot. I have non AVX systems that are overclocked and no issues at all. Only one of the systems affected is running linux. The others are running windows 7 x64.
    I'm having fun!!! I'm just not sure if it's net fun or gross fun.

I already had those errors when I was using Prime95 on dual core server (linux mprime).
    When I shared at mersenneforum that error Prime95 told me not to worry. Few weeks after when someone found a bug on the software I decided to retest all candidates in a another CPU and OS and I got different residues. I shared this on mersenneforum but didn't get any reply.

I added ~ 25 AVX systems yesterday and three have already crashed.

Guru, were they overclocked much? The only stability issues I've had with prime95 client were hardware related. But I don't overclock either (don't slap me too hard).

Thanks for posting the comparisons of cpus. I noticed i5-4690K didn't have any data, did it not appear properly in the post? My rookie interpretation of the posted data makes me think on a per core basis the i7-4770K and the E5-2697V2 are roughly the same in production. Is that how you read it?

I appreciate you taking the time to hash this out. I hope it's not affecting your day job.

Nope these systems are in 1U racks and used only as computing systems. 24/7 stability vs high performance. Many of my AVX systems have the same motherboards and very similar memory. It is possible it is not related directly to the CPU. I have noticed turning off Turbo helps. I will do more testing with a few specific trouble systems and try to isolate the issue.

I don't have a 4690K for testing so I just put the specs to compare it to what i have. If someone else has one that can provide the data that would be good. I have more results to share and I may just put it into a spreadsheet and upload it.

My rookie interpretation of the posted data makes me think on a per core basis the i7-4770K and the E5-2697V2 are roughly the same in production.
    It depends on the FFT size. The 4770K is faster at 1024K FFT size but most of what I have seen running are 2560K which puts the 2697V2 about 45% faster than the 4770K

This doesn't directly relate to my day job but everything I learn from it does apply. Knowledge like this doesn't come in a book or a lecture.

Can I suggest running SRBASE project instead of SOB? With such power on SOB with such errors it will cost SOB more doublecheck effort in the future.
    http://srbase.myfirewall.org/sr5/index.php

The invitation code for creating new accounts is pillepalle