Thread: Block is dead at 99.9%

Block is dead at 99.9%

OK, I need som help here, when the block is at 99.9% it stops, and it does not look like itīs doing anything. It says that the block is done, but it do not connect to the server. When I restart the client, it starts at 96.1% and then goes to 99.9% and stops. I have tried to restart 5 times with the same result.

I am running win98SE, so I can not use the service inataller.

So what can I do to fix the problem?

try changing your settings so you post to sbp.pns.net on port 22 instead of sb.pns.net on port 1717

Don't know why but it causes fewer problems.

Also, there appear to have been some server problems over the last few minutes so that could be part of the problem.

Lastly, Louie thought he might be releasing a new client today.

Hope all that helps

Dave

lost in space. Hey who took my bread crumbs. Now I cant find my way home.
    I was wondering if there was a server problem but when I rebooted both machines they were able to report to the server. Just the usual overhead. And I cannot wait for the new client.
    grandmother. ver 3.0

Sieve it, baby!
    There is a "service handler" version for Win98 available, too:
    http://kerryjones.home.mindspring.com/sobsvc9x.zip

Yeah, of course it's no real service handler, but it does most of the other gimmicks AFAIK.

Otherwise, you can change your name once and back again and thus clear the cache.

dragongoddess:

I thought eldar people are not as impatient as us young folks anymore.

btw.:
    It's just some minutes past midnight here. But as Michigan is 6 hours later there's still plenty of time left, I think. Hm, Louie didn't tell which time zone he meant...
    Last edited by Mystwalker; 06-05-2003 at 05:10 PM.

Thanks for the quick help. Itīs working again. If I clear the cach how much work is lost the whole test or only the last block?

If you clear the cache, you lose the *entire* block. I'd only do that as a last resort.

Sieve it, baby!
    Unfortunately, the whole test is gone then. It's not feasible to do a global checkpointing of the cache file due to its size.

Originally posted by Mystwalker
    It's just some minutes past midnight here. But as Michigan is 6 hours later there's still plenty of time left, I think. Hm, Louie didn't tell which time zone he meant...
    He also only said he _thought_ he would release it today, but I for one am madly burning incense and praying to all sorts of gods that he will.

Cheers,
    Mikael

I read that as today as opposed to yesterday!

By the way dragongoddess, I'm hot on your heels!

i'm still on track to finish it tonight. i'm glad i took my time and didn't rush this release. I've been working with MathGuy the past few days. His testing and suggestions have helped me a lot. This version is much more solid because of his effort.

while you wait for the new release, you can checkout a new online script to view your pending blocks and manually expire out tests. this will be useful for a bunch of reasons such as when you download tests you know for one reason or another you will never complete. if nothing else, you can at least check and see what all your pending tests are from one page without going to multiple computers if you have a team of them all working on SB.

the page is under Preferences on the site. You have to be logged in. It is called "Pending Test Management". check it out and let me know what you think.

and the warnings on the page are for real... don't press "Expire" unless you really want to quit work on the test. i just wrote the script yesterday so it doesn't do anything like warn you before it expires out the test. it assumes you know what you're doing. technically, you can still finish a test even after you expire it (the server remembers you were assigned it at one point), but it will release it to the test pool and reassign it to someone else as well.

I'm gonna get some dinner and then pack and release the installer for SB v1.10. Let me know your thoughts on the script if you look at it or try it.

-Louie

The script is brilliant, I've missed something like that for a long time, now I don't have run around to 12 diffrent computers to check which one is working and which one is not.
    I Haven't tested the expire part, but it is a good thing it is there.

Both script and new client work fine. I think I'm seeing an 0.5% speedup or so on my athlon, but that may just be my imagination...

Thanks a lot!
    Mikael