Thread: Server down?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by engracio View Post
    I have all of my residue for at least 5 years. Also we have done double check all the way up to 30Mil just saying.
    Feel free to send any logs that you have to me at mgoetz [at] primegrid [dot] com. I'll make sure Louie gets those, along with anything we have that can help. If SoB doesn't get going again, then those would also be helpful for restarting the full SoB project at PrimeGrid if that's the direction we go.
    Last edited by AG5BPilot; 05-11-2016 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AG5BPilot View Post
    Feel free to send any logs that you have to me at moetz [at] primegrid [dot] com. I'll make sure Louie gets those, along with anything we have that can help. If SoB doesn't get going again, then those would also be helpful for restarting the full SoB project at PrimeGrid if that's the direction we go.
    Thanks Mike I will. Still have a few wu to finish, I will sent it as soon as it complete. I wanted to make sure the wu i had remaining were done. About a week or so.

I'll gather my log files too, when current work units are done. Kills me to think of the wasted clock cycles.

Wow.
    Fourteen years of work gone in an instant.
    What an extreme example of the need for OFF SITE BACKUPS.

Can the wayback machine possibly help to get some of the code back?

I'll allow my current assignments to finish. What are you wanting when they're done? My results.txt file? Something else?

Regardless, I'll find some other diversion for my OCD.
    This is just too painful of a mind**** to process at the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by S3NTYN3L View Post
    Wow.

I'll allow my current assignments to finish. What are you wanting when they're done? My results.txt file? Something else?

Just because it seems to have been missed due to moderation...

Wow.

Just because it seems to have been missed due to moderation...
    I did miss that somehow. Thanks for bringing it up again.

Louie's the one who would be interested in code, so the Wayback machine might possibly be of use to him.

As for off site backups, you've got that right. Stuff happens. I had a 110-story building fall on top of one of my data centers once, Not only did we not lose data, but our business operations didn't miss a beat. Both Jim and myself are rather obsessive about making sure the data is backed up, including daily copies to an off-site location. In the event of a real disaster, PrimeGrid may be down for as much as 24 hours, but at worst we'll lose the last day's results. If you do this stuff long enough, you see this kind of thing happen over and over. If you do it for a living, you're expected to make sure that you're protected against this kind of event because it's a matter of when, not if. The problem is that when you're running things on a shoestring budget that's typical of an operation run as a hobby or a club, it can be really hard to put together the resources just to keep the operation running, let alone to have adequate assets in place to handle disaster recovery scenarios. So let's not judge the powers that be too harshly because it's difficult enough just to keep something like this running.

For me personally, I use a backup system that lets me back up my entire family's computers to the cloud.

As for which files, what I'm interested in is anything that lists test results, meaning the number being tested and the residue produced by the program. I have no idea what Louie might want.

Finally, yes, this is a huge blow. No way to sugarcoat this; it's going to set back this search quite a lot if the data can't be recovered. The only good news in this is that because we decided to split the project between SoB and PG by k's, at least we have all the data for 2 of the 6 remaining k's. Only two thirds of the work is lost rather than all of it.

So let's not judge the powers that be too harshly because it's difficult enough just to keep something like this running.
    I'm not judging anyone.
    It was simply a statement alluding to my shock and sorrow regarding all the years of work lost.

Hindsight is always 20/20, I know. Lesson learned.

Please DO let Louie know about the Wayback Machine!
    It might take a bit of source code browsing but, even with my limited skills, I'm able to get into some of the back-end directory structure, so...

Mike, you never answered my questions.
    Would you like me to send you my results.txt file?
    Is that the only file you'll need?

I don't keep all my logs, but I'll see what I have. I was one of the top contributors.

Feel free to send any logs that you have to me at moetz [at] primegrid [dot] com. I'll make sure Louie gets those, along with anything we have that can help. If SoB doesn't get going again, then those would also be helpful for restarting the full SoB project at PrimeGrid if that's the direction we go.
    Should be mgoetz [at] primegrid [dot] com

Quote Originally Posted by shifted View Post
    Should be mgoetz [at] primegrid [dot] com
    ::babbles incoherently::

Yup, spelled my own name wrong.

I've corrected the original post; thanks.

Mike please check your mail. Thanks

Got it earlier today, thanks.

Are you still looking for log files? I've got a few from just over a year ago, don't know how helpful they would be. Let me know if you could use them, and I'll do some digging to get them you.

Quote Originally Posted by endless mike View Post
    Are you still looking for log files? I've got a few from just over a year ago, don't know how helpful they would be. Let me know if you could use them, and I'll do some digging to get them you.
    Yes, and yes. ALL log files will be useful. If everything was indeed lost, all tests for which there are no records will need to be redone. So every result from a log file is one less result that will eventually have to be repeated.