PDA

View Full Version : Running multiple copies OR How to max out your cpu

jasong
09-11-2005, 02:53 PM
I didn't see the April 13th posting on the EON homepage until JUST NOW!!!:bang:

For those of you who are new, sometimes there are problems with certain scenarios being run on the server. This can create a lot of downtime on your computer in terms of maxing out your cpu, which is an addictive concept to many DCers. One solution is to create multiple copies of the Eon client to run simultaneously, the theory being that the others can try to contact the server while one or more of the clients crunches it's unit.

The problem is that if you copy the entire directory, the solution will only work temporarily. Don't ask me why, but something will happen where each clone install will be processing the exact same work. Here's the solution.

First, and I don't know if this really matters, just some advice that might be unnecessary: I would advise running the first install through at least one whole work-unit before trying this, because it's possible one file(the key.pub file) isn't generated until the server is contacted. I'm really not sure.

After you crunch your first unit(or before if my advice is stupid) copy the following files to your new directory and ONLY copy these THREE FILES to your new directory. Do this for however many clones you decide to run. I'd advise you to be careful about memory usage, I've seen these clients go anywhere from less than 10MB all the way up to 70MB. Anyway, here are the files to copy:

client.exe
client.cfg
key.pub

The above three files are the only ones you should have in an unused Eon installation.

Happy crunching.