PDA

View Full Version : Addicted to Windows(knows he should switch to Linux)

jasong
09-12-2005, 02:15 PM
I was going to switch to Linux, really I was, but the book I bought seemed to be for "passive" users, people who aren't willing to get down and dirty. I am going to attempt to outline what I need to do to feel safe with switching:

1) A book or online web page that gives instructions in a regressive fashion: If you get this error message do this, this is what you need to do to make the "make" function work, if you get this message you haven't compiled such-and-such so go here and then come back.

1a)Simple instructions on how to upgrade my Linux distro, or even switch(hopefully without losing data)

2)A simple method to transfer email and weblinks over to a Linux browser.

3)A way to run Windows programs without switching environments, at least until I can navigate the online community.

Those are my basic problems. Also, I want to be able to pick between Linux and Windows at bootup and have it wait months for input at that point if necessary. I don't want it to witness one of my "losing focus and walking away" times and boot into something I might not want. Of course 50/50 odds aren't that bad, lol.

That's basically it. 1 is the most important btw. I'd prefer for it to be web-pages rather than users, I'd hate to be in the middle of a major problem and suddenly the community starts flaming me at my weakest moment.

Bok
09-12-2005, 02:24 PM
Linux for dummies would be the best bet in your situation. I've got a few of the dummies books and they are pretty good when you know nothing about the subject in hand.

But to be honest, if you're not willing to at least try a few things and take a couple of risks you probably shouldn't even try.

Bok

em99010pepe
09-12-2005, 02:40 PM
I have here this book in pdf:

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0001GGTS0.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Just tell me if you want.

(I have all collection in pdf)

Carlos

jasong
09-12-2005, 04:41 PM
Linux for dummies would be the best bet in your situation. I've got a few of the dummies books and they are pretty good when you know nothing about the subject in hand.

But to be honest, if you're not willing to at least try a few things and take a couple of risks you probably shouldn't even try.
It's not that I'm not willing to take the plunge into Linux, it's just that there are a lot of unknowns, such as the problem of learning to compile software. I have no idea how hard that would be and I want as many options as possible. Actually, I already have "Linux for Dummies." I guess I need to take a better look at it.

My key desire is dual boot, at least to start.

Apparently, I have some reading ahead of me.

jasong
09-12-2005, 05:26 PM
I'm going to head to the Linux forums here (http://www.linuxiso.org/), in case anyone wants to track my progress.

Bok
09-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by jasong

It's not that I'm not willing to take the plunge into Linux, it's just that there are a lot of unknowns, such as the problem of learning to compile software. I have no idea how hard that would be and I want as many options as possible. Actually, I already have "Linux for Dummies." I guess I need to take a better look at it.

My key desire is dual boot, at least to start.

Apparently, I have some reading ahead of me. [/B]

Why do you think you will have to compile ? Most distros come with precompiled binaries. And compiling in most cases will have an INSTALL file, which would probably tell you to run ./configure and then make, that would be it..

To dual boot, you will have to partition your disk. Install windows first on one partition, then install linux on the second partition and during setup it will most likely find the windows partition and automatically create an entry in the boot manager for it..

Bok

jasong
09-12-2005, 06:54 PM
I tried that, Bok, but something went wrong. I used the personal user setting, or whatever it's called. I believe it said something about not being able to find a / or a /dev or something. I've had dinner since then, so I don't remember exactly. All I know is it sees something it doesn't like and refuses to automatically make a partition.

And the manual option just confuses me.

Bok
09-12-2005, 07:33 PM
You tried what ??

Which distro are you installing here?

Bok

jasong
09-12-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Bok
You tried what ??

Which distro are you installing here?

Bok
Oh, sorry. It's Fedora Core 1. I get past setting up the hardware and it chokes when it comes time to partition the hard drive. I used Partition Magic to make a 25GB partition, but it either doesn't recognize it or refuses to use it for some reason.