PDA

View Full Version : is this normal DIMES behaviour ?

rbutcher
09-30-2005, 05:56 AM
greetings, can I just check with you DIMES afficianados that the following messages are normal processing ? :-
(timestamp) .. dimes.measurements.measurements.execute
INFO : TRACEROUTE (ip address) UDP
INFO : PING (ip address) UDP
INFO: Destination host didn't reply

thanks
Rod

Thor
09-30-2005, 06:20 AM
I had a quick look at my client and I can say...

Yes it looks like normal behaviour:D :|party|:

Greets Thor

Jeff
09-30-2005, 06:35 AM
That's normal since the software upgrade.

CaptainMooseInc
09-30-2005, 06:38 AM
yes, but notice, it doesn't appear all the time. I think it's when it does a measurement using too many hops and it doesn't get a response. That way next time it knows to use less hops and hopefully get a good measurement?

I dunno, just trying to explain that for you.

-Jeff

rbutcher
09-30-2005, 06:41 AM
"yes, but notice, it doesn't appear all the time."
That's all it ever says.
??

Shish
09-30-2005, 08:08 AM
Seems a lot more routers and hosts are not replying as set in the latest upgrades on their firmware. I`m talking mainly commercial stuff here such as Cisco, Nortel etc.
But I have had the issue since the upgrade and have had to restart the software several times on, mainly, virtual machines to get any response at all. Have you done the network blocking check in the client? Seems on 2 of my machines if I didn`t do that it kept getting the did not reply message.

Jeff
09-30-2005, 08:46 AM
At work I had to do that "network blocking check" to get it to work... but I stopped running it there since this doesn't seem like such a "quiet" project. :)

rbutcher
09-30-2005, 08:52 AM
I pressed the network blocking check button.. it came back a few minutes later with both the UDP and ICMP icon showing a funny red zigzag thing.
Still just "didn't reply" messages.
The Linux box it's running on serves as a NAT router/firewall which has some Win2k boxes behind it (hey, they need protection, right). But apps actually running on this Linux box should have a direct route to the Internet via the Cable modem, nothing inbetween.

CaptainMooseInc
09-30-2005, 10:38 AM
I'm not a man of Linux (yet). You could always check portforward.com to see if you can't get any ideas on making it work right...

I've had a lot of NAT related problems recently with programs...it's very annoying. I bet you are unknowingly restricting DIMES from getting the connections it needs. If you can grant the program full permissions to use of outbound UDP/ICMP functions. No need for inbound.

-Jeff

Shish
09-30-2005, 09:16 PM
Yeah, you don`t really need to open the port for 33333 which the prog uses but you need to make sure that at least ICMP protocol is enabled and allowed as it`s not normally a standard thing and many firewalls and proxies block it unless specified otherwise.