PDA

View Full Version : OMG! Maefly Is On The Team...

Petey
10-17-2005, 03:41 AM
And stomping EVERYBODY!!!

Welcome aboard Maefly :cheers:

bryan[RS]
10-17-2005, 06:54 AM
Yes, a very big welcome indeed to maefly. He's effectively doubled the daily output of the project. Guess that's one of the benefits for the large users in a small project - easy way to climb to the top. Hopefully maefly hangs around for a while - we definitely appreciate the extra power!

Bryan
Stats Administrator
RieselSieve Project

Fozzie
10-17-2005, 08:45 AM
but I thought Maefly was one of our fair lady crunchers?

:blush: if I'm wrong.

b2uc
10-17-2005, 01:19 PM
Yea Bryan, Way to be insensitive to our new crunch leader;) Never use gender sensitive pronouns where a neutral one will do....lol

Doesn't matter male or female... maefly is rocking the house.

Welcome Aboard...and tell your friends about us.

Lee Stephens
Head Cheese
Riesel Sieve

maefly
10-17-2005, 05:34 PM
Happy to be aboard!

I'm a guy, btw....

Now, let's get rocking!

:music:

Jeff

bryan[RS]
10-17-2005, 07:22 PM
Since I knew maefly's name was Jeff, I figured "he" was a safe bet. Although next time I'll use they, much to the chagrin of any english majors out there :)

jasong
10-17-2005, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by bryan[RS]
Since I knew maefly's name was Jeff, I figured "he" was a safe bet. Although next time I'll use they, much to the chagrin of any english majors out there :)
What exactly IS the proper way to refer to someone when you don't know their gender? I once referred to a mother's infant as "it," and she got pretty uptight about it.

It's particularly bad when you're looking someone in the face and can't tell. It sometimes happens when encountering preteens, but once it happened in a college class. A french class no less, if I remember correctly, French is very gender-specific. Later on that person commented on the fact that she flirted with a guy, he said he didn't date dudes, when she whipped out her ID it had the wrong gender listed. That would suck if you're going to jail.(Well, it would suck for a woman, lol. Just kidding)

CaptainMooseInc
10-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Hey Maefly....

Looking at stats you've put out nearly 2 million points in 1 week. The number 1 team has roughly 42 million points.

So #1 Team divided by Maefly raping the stats = ~21 weeks until overtaking #1 spot.

Since others are LLRing too let's make it 20 weeks. 4 weeks in a month (roughly) so basically 5 months we can have #1 spot...

Now to find a way to keep maefly trapped on the project for that long....

And to adjust for the fact that other teams are still LLRing...let's make it 6 months...

Hell, in around a month's time we'll be 3rd overall and then it's the big climb to LoneOutsiders and UltimateChaos.

Please stick around as long as possible maefly!!! :)

-Jeff

Fozzie
10-20-2005, 01:49 AM
Sorry Jeff.

:blush: :blush: :blush:

Mustard
10-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Yep, glad to see Maefly, and the rest of you crunching on the Free-DC team. A time back, it was Carlos and I, and couldn't get any interest in rieselsieve going here. So really glad to see it has taken off. Meanwhile I moved over to crunch rieselsieve for the AMD_Users team with AMDave. :) But above all, I'm glad that Lee (B2) is getting help in his project!! :)

Bruce

b2uc
10-28-2005, 01:18 AM
Thanks Bruce....glad to have you back.

On a side note...I have a 1T range....split between four computers. When I look at factor density I see 3 fairly even densities of 1.47, 1.27 and 1.36 per G...and then I have the fourth range of 2.22 per G....I guess this is what we call a 'honey pot' sieve range. It is spitting out factors like mad that are very closely grouped..and they are all unique ....err...first factors for eliminating a k/n pair...aka non-dupes...and...it is with the older prothsieve and not the newer JJSieve which finds a lot of dupes.

It all goes back to my saying though...when you restrict what a prime can actually be...as in you are only finding primes in the form of k.2^n-1.....you will find both prime bunching....and factor bunching.

CaptainMooseInc
10-28-2005, 05:16 AM
Okay, so which one does RS link to? The old version of the JJSieve?

I wanna be using the one you're using. :)

I've never heard of JJsieve...

-Jeff

b2uc
10-28-2005, 12:55 PM
JJSieve is the...I guess you'd say Beta...client of something JoeO from SoB and Chuck is working on. Basically it is prothsieve.exe with a few coding cleanups. I've requested for about a year now that the ASM be pulled from prothsieve and turned into pure C. I would like portability of the sieve client to other CPU platforms. I want to see Mac clients, Alpha client....actually we have one Alpha running a program that is like JJSieve at the moment for testing....I just want to see the sieve client able to run on any PC...or game console, or handheld you can name...and this requires the x86 asm to be taken out.

Hopefully JoeO will be done in a few weeks with some major tweakage and release a new JJSieve client to the world...this should help out greatly with the sieving efforts of Riesel Sieve, SoB, PSP, and any other project that uses multi-k sieving.

You can grab the JJSieve client at the SoB forums...but be warned...it does find duplicate factors and they will pass my verification processs...however...once they are pushed into the archive SQL tables you will notice a negative score on your stats where the duplicate factors are dropped from the DB and the scoring is recalculated.....so you may wanna stick with prothsieve.exe for now:)

Lee

CaptainMooseInc
10-28-2005, 10:10 PM
That's fine. I'll stay with Prothsieve. I hate negative numbers. :)

Plus no reason to burden the server with unnecessary factors. :-D

-Jeff

P.S. I'm really liking my 250G range at the moment. 43% done with 138 factors found. At this rate I -should- be able to hit 1 factor per 1G sieved. That's better than what I have been getting. 1.28/G density at the moment. :-D