PDA

View Full Version : How did the update go?

pointwood
06-12-2002, 03:00 AM
I have 1 Linux client, 1 WinXP service client and 1 normal running Win2k client running and they all updated perfectly :)

Digital Parasite
06-12-2002, 07:17 AM
My Win2k and XP services updated fine, and my Linux (RedHat 7.3) machines updated fine (so basically no problems with auto-update)

Jeff.

Burgergold
06-12-2002, 08:31 AM
mine haven't updated fine. After 3000, it told me: new update, press Y to install it

bwkaz
06-12-2002, 08:34 AM
All was fine here too (2K text client -- I know, I used to run Linux, but now DF is running at work, which only has 2K and NT4 boxen).

pointwood
06-12-2002, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Burgergold
mine haven't updated fine. After 3000, it told me: new update, press Y to install it If you don't have a file named "autoupdate.cfg" containing a single "1", in the client directory, your client will not update automatically.

This is intented behaviour. You can find more info about this in the readme file that comes with the client.

Moogie
06-12-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by pointwood
If you don't have a file named "autoupdate.cfg" containing a single "1", in the client directory, your client will not update automatically.

This is intented behaviour. You can find more info about this in the readme file that comes with the client.

I also had to press "Y" and then it worked flawlessly. I've got two Win2K boxen running. I do have the autoupdate.cfg set up on both machines but it didn't work. Tonight I'll take a better look at the readme file and see if I've missed something.

Thanks! :)

mighty
06-12-2002, 11:41 AM
My autoupdate (with the "1" in autoupdate.cfg) worked just fine.
I am running W2K.

MAD-ness
06-12-2002, 11:50 PM
In the "Getting Started" guide at www.teamstirfry.com pointwood has put up an autoupdate.cfg file for those who are having trouble getting the file created properly. Most of these issues stem from creating the file in notepad or something similar and having it screw up the extensions, as far as I can tell. There is a link to a sample autoupdate.cfg in this guide though:

http://tsf.dbestern.net/gettingstarted.php

Scott Jensen
06-13-2002, 09:42 AM
On the bright side, this is the first time the client didn't do one work unit, send it in, and then shut itself down. It would only do that once and I almost came to expect it each time, but it was still stupid doing it. I didn't bring it up since it sounded like you guys were working on the updater and guessed it would be solved in the process. Hopefully that's been finally dealt with and won't happen again. However...

It still asks if I want the new update and, NO, I didn't do anything to some file in it. Heck, I barely understand how to turn my computer on. I'm not digging into programs and messing around with them.

Also, I'd like to hear from DF staff about the offered auto-update file by Team Stir Fry. Have you check it out? Do you recommend installing it? And, if it's good, why wasn't such part of past updates of the client?

And if it's good, could someone give a bit more detailed instructions on how to properly install it. Please put the instructions in laymen terms. Nice, simple, and easy-to-understand. Thanks.

KWSN_Millennium2001Guy
06-13-2002, 09:47 AM
From the readme1st.txt file:

Non-interactive Auto-update
---------------------------
For your security, you will be asked for confirmation before any updates are download and installed on your computer. All updates are digitally signed and so if is fairly safe to always allow digitially signed updates to be installed. A malicious user would have to compromise the private encryption key in order to "spoof" and update and make it appear to come from us. Thus you have the option of allowing the client to automatically accept and install digitally signed updates (and automatically refuse unsigned ones). By default this feature is disabled and you must give your consent for downloads to begin, because we feel the choice should be that of the user. To enable this feature and allow automatic updating without your intervention required, simply create a text file in the same directory as the client, called "autoupdate.cfg" with the the digit 1 on a
single line. If you change your mind, simply remove the file, and it will revert back to its default behaviour the next time you run it.

Michelle
06-13-2002, 10:05 AM
Smooth sailing on all my machines - various O/S from W9x - XP.

:thumbs:

Scott Jensen
06-13-2002, 11:37 AM
2001GUY: Ah, that's the situation. Hmmm. Is the Stir Fry file just this?

DF STAFF: With what 2001Guy saying being the case, why not also just ask us if we want it to be always auto-updated? Asking us to creat files (no matter how simple) means people like me won't since our computer confidence isn't that great. Now I understand and appreciate your concern for our computer security, but if someone makes such a trojan, how would we know it anyway? See my point? Just asking us if we want to be auto-updated should be enough. Go ahead and inform what that all means from a security standpoint if you like, but still just make it a question/answer thing and not requiring us to create files and such.

pointwood
06-13-2002, 12:21 PM
Yes, it is just that - a simple text file with a "1" in it - I think I've managed to create it correctly :p

Jodie
06-13-2002, 02:34 PM
For Windows 95/98

START->RUN->command [enter]

cd \distribfold (replace with wherever you installed your client)

echo 1 > autoupdate.cfg

exit

restart your client.

For Windows 2000/XP/NT 5 -

START->RUN->cmd [enter]

cd \distribfold (replace with wherever you installed your client)

echo 1 > autoupdate.cfg

exit

restart your client.

For Linux/Unices of all sorts -

open a shell or terminal.

cd ~/distribfold (replace with wherever you installed your client)

echo 1 > autoupdate.cfg

exit

restart your client.

There you go. No notepad screwing things up for you.

;)

Jodie
06-13-2002, 02:38 PM
And back on topic - 98 of 102 processors updated fine. Four of them updated and then shut themselves down, apparently. Nothing in the error log that was helpful... [shrug] Pretty good odds from my perspective.

Stardragon
06-13-2002, 03:40 PM
Jodie: Thanks for posting simple, easy-to-follow instructions for our less programming-crazed members :D

Brian the Fist
06-13-2002, 09:00 PM
Scott:

If someone is truly a 'computer-dufus' so-to-speak, they will probably use the screensaver, which has a nice GUI interface. In here there's a nice button that says 'do not confirm updates'. Remember the text client is geared towards UNIX and more hard-core Windows users. Most of the people on this mesage board are of the latter type, because the computer-challenged people proabably aren't interested in this type of message board, except perhaps to request support.

Scott Jensen
06-13-2002, 11:01 PM
HOWARD: Until they realize that they can get more work units done and thus more stats thus higher and faster in the rankings by using the text client. ;)

I think the auto-update is a great idea. Just suggesting a way to enable people to take advantage of it without having to jump through hoops. Simple yes/now questions and they've got it.

Scott "Trying To Help" Jensen

Jodie
06-13-2002, 11:05 PM
I'm confused - isn't "Accept the update? y/n" simple enough?:confused:

Paratima
06-13-2002, 11:18 PM
He's in Marketing. :cool:

Scott Jensen
06-14-2002, 01:52 AM
And isn't "Want auto-update? y/n" also rather simple?