PDA

View Full Version : FS: AMD 3800x2 (dual core), good for 2.53GHz.

Jeff
11-11-2005, 06:27 PM
AMD Athlon 64
ADA3800DAA5CD
CCBWE 0529TPMW

I ran it at 2.53GHz full-load 24/7 at 1.5v with a Thermaltake Tower12 cooler(monster copper cooler) which resulted in a RAC of over 1000 for Boinc Rosetta.

This is only 4 or 5 weeks old. I upgraded to an Opteron because I need the 1Mb cache(per core) for video encoding. (the extra cache seems to save me about 30% so far)

It is a retail packaged x2 so it comes with the stock heatsink and paperwork. If it should ever need warrantee work and you need me to do anything with AMD I will, no problem. ;)

It cost me $352 new... now you can get them for $322. I'll sell this one for $300 shipped in the US and $310 shipped elsewhere.

Shish
11-11-2005, 11:57 PM
Glad the Opti is working Jeff.
You heard it hear first mebbe??;) :D

One of my mates has just run some tests for me with Maya and the Opti flies with the right setup and data sets, especially on the pre processing which is normally the time when you really need the power.
He was reckoning on around 30% overall as well but he`s had experience of the dual Opties already so he knows it works.

Still a good cpu for anyone to buy from you though for general workhorse stuff and that price makes it better.:rock: :cheers:

Jeff
11-12-2005, 03:04 PM
Yeah, definitely a big thanks to the folks here. I've been trying to lay low technology wise since coming over to FDC but seeing a 1Mb Opteron for around what the 3800x2 cost me was too much to handle. :D

:cheers:

Digital Parasite
11-13-2005, 07:47 AM
So it looks like going Opteron 1xx dual-core is better than an X2, even price wise for certain versions of the CPU.

The 1xx Opteron also runs on socket 939 right so you can get away without using the registered RAM? Basically use the same motherboards as the X2 processors right?

I would ideally like to go dual-Opteron but that might be too much $$ so having a single dual-core 1xx might be the next best bet...

CaptainMooseInc
11-13-2005, 08:48 AM
This sucks. I am building that Dual Xeon 1.6s still (money has been ungodly tight). Now everyone's heading to dual core just as I'm getting close to having the Dualie running.

Ugh, time to get another job so I can build a dual proc dual core.

Oh yeah, and I can't wait for PS3...8 core processor...yeah...hack that baby and get Linux on it and here I come (insert DC project w/ a Linux flavor)!!!!

-Jeff

Jeff
11-13-2005, 04:50 PM
PRICE DROP:
$290 in the US, $300 elsewhere. ;)

Originally posted by Digital Parasite
The 1xx Opteron also runs on socket 939 right so you can get away without using the registered RAM? Basically use the same motherboards as the X2 processors right?

Yes and Yes. Normal ram on standard 939 motherboards. BUT, I don't think the Opterons are "officially" supported... but from what I've read they are. ;)

Jeff
12-15-2005, 06:18 AM
This has been sold.