PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a New Project..

gopher_yarrowzoo
11-14-2005, 04:52 PM
Okay come on gimme some recommendations as to a new project I should crunch. Don't just say you should crunch this, say WHY, give reasons.

Scoofy12
11-14-2005, 05:25 PM
i'm partial to the bio/med projects, but a popular one lately seems to be Rosetta@home. I notice from your sig that you crunched DF... Rosetta has basically the same goal, to predict protein structure based on amino acid sequence, and judging from what i saw of their CASP6 predictions, they have been very successful so far. Also Free-DC is getting in on the ground floor of what may be a big DC brawl with a lot of teams new to this project due to the ending of FAD.

so... useful project, good results so far, and good competition, all make Rosetta a recommendation.
Also It's based on BOINC, so if you're familiar already with SETI thats another benefit.

QIbHom
11-15-2005, 02:46 PM
F@H has been troublefree for me on Win and Linux boxes. It doesn't have nasty propriatary licenses (we own the data, we will make money off it, now bugger off, twit) like some projects do. It is medical.

Depends on what you want, really. I'm picky about how the results get used, and I like medicals *shrug*.

gopher_yarrowzoo
11-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Hmm R@H hmm sounds good. I've never used the "BOINC" client before as I only crunched what is now called "Seti Classic" I stopped before BOINC was the standard, as well I got bored with it and went on to not bad in DF..

F@H hmm sounds like fun, your right I like medical projects but thinking 4 pc's all with varying Speeds / mem levels all running Windows some XP some 98.. considering translating one box to *nix only once I figure out how the heck to translate from what I know of apache in windows to what is equivelent in nix i.e paths to doc root / server root / etc.. I wonder can I get Xampp to run on a *nix box. if so makes life easier (kinda)... :D