PDA

View Full Version : BeOS at last!

Brian the Fist
06-13-2002, 09:07 PM
Well, it has been a long, arduous, and mostly uphill battle, but at last we have prevailed :|party|: against BeOS and now Im just waiting for the Be floodgates to open and let loose. :cheers:
I can verify that it works for sure on our Be Intel box, which is running BeOS 5.0 Developer Edition, with our beautiful ASCII worm foldig away thanks to the recent port of ncurses to BeOS, and it works even with proxy settings. I have no idea if it will work on any other version of the OS so please try it if you have access to a Be Box and post your results here.

I'm still waiting for someone to give (er, loan, ya that's it) a PS2 and Linux so I can play Final Fantasy X, umm, I mean so I can do the port for that, yea, that's what I meant. :cool: Seriously though, if anyone can get one to loan us on a permanent basis, let us know. I did try contacting Sony but they've ignored me so far.

Chinasaur
06-13-2002, 11:06 PM
Howard,

RIGHT ON BROTHER!!!! :|party|:

I have it running on my Dual XP1800 setup with a Tyan S2460 mobo. Running BeOS Pro 5.0.3 with all sorts of goodies as well as the BeOS XP patch and DF runs just fine!!!!! :smoking:

I installed ncurses (from www.bebits.com) and it runs like a charm. Fast too :)

I'll get some benches up as soon as I get Dyyryath's script copied and chmod'd.

Thanks to you and all the Be clones who have labored hard on this port. After being in Linux for the past month..it's such a pleasure to come home and run in Be. :cheers:

I just hope I'm not one of 5 or 6 who ultimately use it :D

Thanks for going the extra mile and accomodating those of us who help DF. It makes this project the best of breed in the entire DC arena.

Chinasaur :notworthy

Brian the Fist
06-14-2002, 12:09 AM
Alright, one download already! :p
Just for reference, did you have to download ncurses to get it to work? I think I statically linked it but if not, I will try to - I don't want people to have to download curses if I can include it in the binary.

Chinasaur
06-14-2002, 10:34 AM
Howard,

I had to install ncurses. I had forgotten to install it and got the error: "unknown terminal type: vt100"

After ncurses it started right up.

lutonhatter
06-17-2002, 01:47 PM
Brian the Fist:

Congrats on the port :cheers:

May I ask how did you cope with the fcntl issues in BeOS

Brian the Fist
06-17-2002, 09:01 PM
Simple, I just avoided the part that needed fcntl :p
Basically, I built the database library (which is what needed it) in 'single-user' mode. It only needs file locking in multi-user mode. Since only once process is accessing the database (which incidentally is inside the protein.trj file) at a time, this is fine.
Jodie (who posts on this forum) attempted to do a fcntl.c port for me actually, but this seemed to stump even her (although if she had more time I sure she would have gotten it eventually, right Jodie? Or maybe its just not possible with the way the Be filesystem works, I really don't know, or care anymore).

I will try to fix it so you don't need ncurses now, I think I know what to do.

Jodie
06-19-2002, 12:06 PM
I still will get it. I'm hung-up on it now... Stupid dead operating systems ruining my reputation. [shaking head] ;)

I'm going to go back to the port one of these days and then post it far and wide when it works. :p

Today, though, tossing more machines on DF/CASP seems a better use of time. We got a cute little IttyBittyMainframe linux/cms cluster in the office from a client to do a port to it. Need to burn it in for them, me thinks. ;)

Chinasaur
06-21-2002, 12:20 AM
Jodie and Howard,

Thanks for all your help...it was appreciated on the Port.

However, the BeOS port is noticeably slower on my hardware than Linux..but I don't think this condition is due to your efforts.

To get BeOS 6.X to run on Morgn Durons, XP's, MP's etc...a patch was produced that disabled the SSE instruction set. It might be that the patch is causing Be 5.X to not run as efficiently as possible.

Whatever the answer...your work on the port shows how much you care about your user base and answering their requirements...AND all that for a "dead" operating system. That's really amazing. The QNX port is equally deserving of praise...

So "Be Excellent to one another..." and "Party One Dudes!!"

:|party|:

:cheers: