PDA

View Full Version : Multiprocessor Question

Jkusuda
11-28-2005, 07:14 PM
I'm putting a dual Xeon machine onto R@H. I want to run 3 threads and was just making sure that I would put 3 processors on my boinc general prefs? Or is there another, better way to do it?

Evilmoose
11-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Thats the only way I know how, but I have not been running BOINC long myself.
Let me guess, not enough ram for 4 running, I have the same problem.

Has anyone checked to see the difference butween running HT and not?
If its not that big a drop off I will just run 2.

Jkusuda
11-28-2005, 07:34 PM
EM,

I have enough memory. I just have another project I want to run on the single thread.

Evilmoose
11-28-2005, 07:42 PM
I know in mine that I built for my wife it uses a full gig with her background stuff running. She has to shut it down to play her games:bang:

What other projects are still runnig?

Guess I could just look at your sig:rolleyes:

Jkusuda
11-28-2005, 07:54 PM
:rotfl:

Don't tell rcoulter but when FAD ends I'm putting a bunch of machines on WCG for a while. If only it had multiprocessor support! So, with my 3 Xeon's and 1 X2, I'll have to find other activities for the 10 threads that go along with them.

We should pick a project and race. We have I think about equivalent farms.

:Pokes: :Pokes: :Pokes:

Evilmoose
11-28-2005, 08:05 PM
We should pick a project and race. We have I think about equivalent farms.

At one time maybe. Im up for a race but I dont have what I used to.

Current inventory:
1 p4 2.4
1 dual mp2400 (one processor only works when it wants to) - gotta fix that.
1 xp 2700
1 dual zeon
1 a64 3000
1 2500 barton (quit working today but Ill get it fixed)

and at work
3 p4 2.8
1 p4 3.2

Half of my home PCs are RAM challenged for R@H. Some of the work PCs get shut off at night.

I do have a Opteron 165 comming soon though:D

Jkusuda
11-28-2005, 08:11 PM
1 x 2.2 Dual Xeon
2 x 3.0 Dual Xeon
1 x 4800 x2
3 x 3.0 P4
2 x 3000xp
6 x 2600xp
2 x 1.6 P4
2 x 1.0 P3

I have an advantage in number of processors. I could limit it to my office pc's though. That would be 10 processors but all the best high end stuff. Let's race once you get the opteron.

Marky-UK
11-29-2005, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by Jkusuda
Don't tell rcoulter but when FAD ends I'm putting a bunch of machines on WCG for a while. If only it had multiprocessor support!
If you run WGC through BOINC you should be able to run multiple WGC threads?

I don't know anything about the native WGC client, but the UD client (on which I thought WGC was based) DOES support multiprocessing and has done for several years, it's just that the user-interface doesn't work very well. The thought-police on the UD forums always appeared when I mentioned how to enable it. LOL

PCZ
11-29-2005, 03:46 AM
Jkusuda

You do know that WCG now runs on boinc as well ?
No problem with nultiprocessor and linux.

I am crunching WCG and Rosetta on my WIndows / Nix boxes.
It's works OK on a 4 CPU Xeon with HT {8 Instances}

There is no need to use that hideous UD client for WCG anymore.

Jkusuda
11-29-2005, 08:58 AM
Marky,

I knew how to run up to 2 instances on UD. If I'm not mistaken, that was changed with the WCG client and you couldn't do it any longer.

PCZ, I wasn't aware of the BOINC version of WCG. I'll have to take a look at it. Did they create a new set of stats for that or are they combined with the ones from the old client?

:cheers:

Marky-UK
11-29-2005, 09:05 AM
It wasn't a case of running two instances, the dual processor support was built in to the UD client - when activated, UD kicked off two processes to work on two separate WUs.

The BOINC WGC client is officially for Linux only, but if you use the link to download the Linux client you'll get your account key - put that into BOINC Manager and it'll download the Windows client for you.

The BOINC WGC stats are combined with the global WGC stats (BOINC credits are multiplied by 7 I think). The various BOINC stats websites are able to pull the BOINC stats too, although WGC are still not exporting the team stats to XML files. :(

Jkusuda
11-29-2005, 09:11 AM
Marky,

I had a program that I downloaded that did it for me. I wasn't sure if it did it through instances or processes. I just knew it worked. :rotfl:

Thanks for the tips on getting a Windows version of WCG. I'll have to make that conversion once FAD is over.

:cheers:

Marky-UK
11-29-2005, 09:15 AM
I started converting to BOINC as soon as the demise of FAD was announced, thinking that it would take me a month to get my hands on every PC. I've finished ahead of schedule though and now have everything doing BOINC.