PDA

View Full Version : Home/school/work prefs

Scoofy12
12-09-2005, 01:44 PM
on the webpages of BOINC projects you can set separate preferences for home, school, and work locations.... but how do you configure the client to use a specific preference set? there are options on the web for the "default computer loation" but i can't find any switches in boinc or options in boincmgr to change it. am i just missing something?

rshepard
12-09-2005, 01:57 PM
On the projects website, under your account, select "view computers". You can then click on the computer ID and set the location there. When the computer next contacts the project it will pick up the new location preference; or you can force the update if you don't want to wait.

Scoofy12
12-09-2005, 02:08 PM
that got it, thanks. interesting the centralized web-centric model of configuring the boxen. i could see how that would be convenient if you had a lot of them, provided they are easily identifiable. which brings me to another question... how does it determine the "name" of the machine? I have a couple as localhost.localdomain, which are in fact running the same distro of linux in a similar configuration as another which was properly recognized. (the hostname command and /etc/hostname seem ok)

Bok
12-09-2005, 02:19 PM
It just picks it up from the first string in the /etc/hosts I believe.

I had to change a few of mine too

Bok

Scoofy12
12-09-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Bok
It just picks it up from the first string in the /etc/hosts I believe.

I had to change a few of mine too

Bok

yeah, that's it. and if you fix /etc/hosts, it also reflects the change in the web management panel next time it communicates.

thanks all