PDA

View Full Version : Deadlines jumping around for everyone?

Digital Parasite
01-27-2006, 10:28 AM
The past week I have been getting a whole bunch of different deadlines on the WUs I have downloaded. In the past they deadlines were always in increasing order and my BOINC clients would crunch through in the order they are received.

Now I am getting deadlines all over the map, some earlier than others, so the client keeps jumping around to try and get everything done by the deadline. Today it even wouldn'd download the requested number of days since some of the deadlines are very soon and claimed the client woudln't be able to finish all the work in time.

Anyone else seeing this?

Petey
01-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Yep, I've seen the same too.

I'm taking it as a good thing that they are sending out smaller jobs with shorter deadlines (they might be on the trail of something interesting) but it does throw your workload scheduler completely out of whack. One of my boxes is telling me that each job takes 6 hours when I know they only take 1.5 hours at most.

As a short-term measure I've upped the number of days work to get in my general preferences to 4 days instead of the usual 1 day. Hopefully that will tide me over until the job durations settle down again.

Might be an option for you too?

Bok
01-27-2006, 12:03 PM
Mine are doing it too. I had low scores yesterday until I checked in with BoincView. Had about 9000 points waiting....

Bok

Digital Parasite
01-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Might be an option for you too?

Those are offline boxes so they are already set to cache 10 days of work.
Hopefully it will last the weekend before I can dump again... :cry:

Digital Parasite
01-27-2006, 04:09 PM
According to the R@H messsage boards, they switched to a 1 week deadline so you will have to make sure you connect your machine and upload results at least every week:
http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/forum_thread.php?id=979