PDA

View Full Version : Question about archiving shows

jasong
02-14-2006, 04:05 PM
At the moment I'm attempting to archive ALL the episodes of 24. I'm recording across about 4 separate channels, so things are really spread out. Here's my problem:

I only have about 100GB left available for everything I do on my computer, and so I expect I'm going to have to put some 24 stuff on DVDs in an order that's not necessarily optimal. I was wondering if there was a Windows software program that could take DVD formatted video off of multiple DVDs, reswap it, and make a new DVD? I intend to convert everything in 4 hour per DVD portions, and when I arrange everything the way I like, it will also be 4 hours. Also, I just want the program to take off of a DVD what it needs, as opposed to putting the entire DVD on the hard drive.

Can anyone help me with this? (if it means doing it for free, a Live CD is very welcome)

em99010pepe
02-14-2006, 05:09 PM
I was wondering if there was a Windows software program that could take DVD formatted video off of multiple DVDs, reswap it, and make a new DVD?

Try DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15 (http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/).

In which format are you recording the episodes?

Carlos

jasong
02-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Try DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15 (http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/).

In which format are you recording the episodes?

Carlos
The program I use is the one approved by Tivo(since they encode their shows in a special way, I doubt I have much of a choice the first time through). It's MYDVD Studio, and it always encodes in VOB.

Edit: I went to the web page. It said it could copy the entire DVD, or just the "main movie." Their phrasing is what troubles me. I'll have 4 shows on one DVD, and I guarantee I won't want all four of them. Will I be able to selectively choose or not choose each one individually?

em99010pepe
02-14-2006, 06:00 PM
The program I use is the one approved by Tivo(since they encode their shows in a special way, I doubt I have much of a choice the first time through). It's MYDVD Studio, and it always encodes in VOB.

Edit: I went to the web page. It said it could copy the entire DVD, or just the "main movie." Their phrasing is what troubles me. I'll have 4 shows on one DVD, and I guarantee I won't want all four of them. Will I be able to selectively choose or not choose each one individually?

You can choose each one individually.
This will be my last post for today.

So you have a few DVD's (vob files) with a few episodes and you want to create another DVD with different episodes that are in different DVD's, right? First you have to copy all DVD's to your hard disk and then with DVD shrink you can choose which episodes you want to put into a new DVD-Video. Just like moving/copying different files to a certain folder (re-author).

Hope that helps.

Carlos

jasong
02-14-2006, 06:17 PM
You can choose each one individually.
This will be my last post for today.

So you have a few DVD's (vob files) with a few episodes and you want to create another DVD with different episodes that are in different DVD's, right? [First you have to copy all DVD's to your hard disk and then with DVD shrink you can choose which episodes you want to put into a new DVD-Video.] Just like moving/copying different files to a certain folder (re-author).

Hope that helps.

Carlos
The part I put in brackets is what troubles me. I don't want to take shows, or put shows on, my hard drive unless I absolutely have to. DVDs are expensive, I'm poor, and my generous grandmother may suddenly decide that I should have to support my own DVD "habit."

Edit: My parents just announced they had some DVD-RWs they'd be willing to sell to me, so I probably WILL be using this method.

Thanks Carlos, I appreciate your help.