PDA

View Full Version : Make me feel stupid...

CaptainMooseInc
03-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Alright, make me feel stupid guys.

I have a Linksys WIRED router (BEFSR41v3). First, don't laugh. I'm not wireless yet. :)

Okay well my "brother-in-law" has a computer on the same network through the router as I do. I have a lot of stuff on my computer and he on his that we wanna be able to access instantly. He makes a lot of beats and whatnot and I'm starting to collaborate and we don't wanna have to keep sending them across AIM/Yahoo to each other and just wanna be able to go into each other's PCs and access them live and modify them like that. Also he's kinda "full" on his little 40GB HDD and can't afford a bigger one. I on the other hand have 160GBs to use and want to store 12GBs of acapellas and instrumentals on my computer for him until he can afford a bigger hard drive.

Can anyone help me? I believe it is possible to have "live access" to another computer's files if I'm not mistaken.

Help help help! :)

-Jeff

Shish
03-04-2006, 11:20 PM
You don`t say what OS you`re running.
If you`re on windoze, make both the machines in the same workgroup (name) and enable sharing of the drives. If it`s XP, you may need to just enable simple file sharing or load up a security profile in the console and modify it to allow computers on the lan access via one or more of the settings.
You could also get full access and move files back and forth without all that (and also remote control the machine, including see his desktop) via Ultravnc which is sometimes easier and will work whatever the lan config or even over the net. You can still forbid file access to anything you don`t want shared. This also works on Tux and will allow a tux machine to access a windoze machine and vice cersa and transfer the files. Security is either via straight password (preferably a strong one) or can be the same as normal windoze setup as if you were a remote admin. It can actually be a bit better for slower lans cos UVNC zips up the files before it transmits them and unzips at t`other end.
Get it here at http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

Bok
03-04-2006, 11:29 PM
If you are XP/2000 just pick a folder, right-click and share it out, then on the other pc, explorer->tools->map network drive

Done...

Bok

IronBits
03-04-2006, 11:52 PM
I'm not wireless yet. :thumbs: There is no such thing as a secure wireless anything, so stay wired :)
If windows, go into Start - Control Panel, click on System, go to 'Computer Name' make sure you both are using the same WORKGROUP Name.
Once you have chosen a WORKGROUP name, reboot both computers.
When the computers come back online, you should be able to open a command prompt and type 'net view' and see each others computers ...
Once that is done, follow Bok's instructions for creating a share on each others computer.
From then on to access each other's sharename, in Windows Explorer address bar type \\computename\sharename and click Go ;)
At a command prompt,
type: dir \\computername\sharename and you should be able to see everything in there.
type: copy filename.ext \\computername\sharename - the the above dir command...
type: cd (to directory where all the files are that you want to copy) - then: copy *.* \\computername\sharename - the the above dir command ;)

CaptainMooseInc
03-04-2006, 11:59 PM
well i have win xp pro. my linux node will be next in line (if cash flow doesn't pick up then it's still awhile away)....

yeah i want it secure. there's probably 1 folder on the whole computer I don't want shared and that's because it's stuff to do with my Motorola phone that I don't want him messing up! Ringtones aren't fun to make all the time when you put a lot of work into them like I do. :)

So best method for this? I know my old boss from Subway networked his house and once a year he'd wipe his PC clean and reinstall windoze but before that he'd back up his 100+GB HDDs to other PCs in a matter of an hour or two...

I don't necessarily want to TRANSFER the files but I wanna access them seemlessly while he's on his PC w/o much notice to him.

Methinks I'm making this more complicated than it really is.

LAURENU2
03-05-2006, 12:26 AM
Ringtones aren't fun to make all the time when you put a lot of work into them like I do.

Make a backup Copy of them on a CD, floppy or Mem stick to be safe
You never know when your hard drive will just Die and you lose it all:cry:
PS I want a ringtone like the phone of flints frome In Like Flint

IronBits
03-05-2006, 12:59 AM
well i have win xp pro.
So best method for this?
Methinks I'm making this more complicated than it really is. Read my message :p ;)

CaptainMooseInc
03-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Lauren, you should go here:

mobile17.smashsworld.com

You take the song you wanna upload, put the artist and title of the song (so they can name the ringtone), then you put what TIME in the song you want the ringtone to start, then below that how many seconds you want it to last (most phones ring between 22-26 seconds depending).

When you sign up it's free and you select your phone model so it knows what KINDS of ringtones your phone can handle. I'm assuming music tones for you since you have a buttload of PCs. :)

Also, it's ENTIRELY free, no spam EVER, nor is your number sold off. If you use the "free" service though you have a wait time from 30-50 minutes usually.

-Jeff

CaptainMooseInc
03-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Okay IB,

I assigned our computers the SAME workgroup name and then restarted. I went to the command prompt and typed NET VIEW and....

nothing was "found" or something like that....

*growls*

I'm about to use the Network Wizard or whatever it is and make them talk to each other that way...but i've had no success with that in the past.

Suggestions now IB?

-Jeff

Bok
03-05-2006, 11:23 AM
Can you ping the other pc by name ? Or at least by ip address.

You could share a folder , then map to it by ip address easily enough. That's all I do, seeing I use static ips for my servers.

Bok

IronBits
03-05-2006, 12:08 PM
I suspect windows firewall is blocking it.
Ping the IP address of the other computer, does it respond?

CaptainMooseInc
03-05-2006, 03:18 PM
ugh, i'll need to know how to find his computer's "true" ip address. We both went to www.whatismyipaddress.com and we both came up with the exact same IP address. I'm assuming this is the ip address of the cable modem into the router rather than the router assigned sub-address.

We are both running on the same router (which has a built-in firewall) and both of our computers are using WinXP Pro w/ no Windows firewall but the ZoneAlarm Pro Firewall.

-Jeff

Bok
03-05-2006, 03:24 PM
open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all

Bok

em99010pepe
03-05-2006, 03:28 PM
I also have two machines sharing the same internet connection.

I set up the IP's as following:

Machine 1

IP 192.168.0.1
Mask: 255.255.255.0
DNS: 192.168.0.1

Advanced settings:

IP 192.168.0.1 + Mask: 255.255.255.0
DNS 192.168.0.1
WINS: activate LMHOSTS
Activate TCP/IP filter

Machine 2

IP 192.168.0.2
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (IP of server, machine 1)
DNS: 192.168.0.1 (IP of server, machine 1)

Advanced settings:

IP 192.168.0.2 + Mask: 255.255.255.0
DNS 192.168.0.1 (IP of server, machine 1)
Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (IP of server, machine 1)
WINS: activate LMHOSTS
Activate TCP/IP filter

Hope this helps,

Carlos

CaptainMooseInc
03-05-2006, 03:42 PM
you've got PM Bok

jasong
03-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Okay, this probably won't be helpful, since I don't know details, but I believe there's a search function(in My Computer or something) that will tell you everything that's directly connected to it.

We don't have trust issues in my house, so I could easily go on my father's or grandmother's computer(she lives next door and spends most of her waking hours over here, so we share an internet connection with her) and download anything and everything from either computer.

In our case, we just go to the computer with the information, right-click the folder we want to share, go to the sharing option(it's pretty obvious) and set things up the way we want.

I'm not sure what the problem is if everybody has WinXP on their computer. It's pretty straightforward for me.

CaptainMooseInc
03-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Finalllyyyyy! All is working.

Apparently my computer was missing a registry key vital to networking the two computers. I found out what it was (all on my own for that matter) and added it. Then I also dug through ZoneAlarm (which is awesome if you know how to tweak it right...and that I'm learning slowly). I had my security level (in trusted zones) set to HIGH so that no sharing or anything could go on. Now it's set to medium and I added Derek's computer's IP address specifically to the Trusted Zone so I would have no problems. After sharing the folders I wanted to I managed to pull a file off of each of our computers!

It all works now!

Thanks for dealing with El Stupido. :)

-Jeff

IronBits
03-06-2006, 09:42 PM
Do tell! ;)

registry key vital to networking the two computers

CaptainMooseInc
03-06-2006, 10:32 PM
well according to one tutorial i read on networking pcs together (without using any kind of wizard) you need to have WINS Proxy Enabled: Yes. To do this you have to go into the registery (you can search for the value in google if you want to find the whole key's supposed location). In the folder it's supposed to be in there's supposed to be a DWORD value called EnableProxy. My computer didn't even HAVE that key in it. If it is there it's normally set to 0, which will have WINS Proxy Enabled: No. You have to change this value to 1 to enable WINS Proxy. I went in the convential way and enabled NetBIOS on the network (which should change that value to 1 in the registry for you) but it didn't work so when I went to find out why....the value itself was missing.

After adding it then my WINS Proxy was enabled and all was good throughout Middle Earth.

:)

-Jeff

Okay...one other problem has arisen. We both use Yahoo Messenger and....if he's logged on I can't log on an vice a versa. Any ideas? Time for me to hit up Yahoo's help pages while I wait.