View Full Version : EON Free-DC Mercenaries are Launched

em99010pepe
03-13-2006, 05:00 PM
To join Free-DC Mercenaries just run EON under the following email address:

freedc.mercenaries"at"gmail.com

Carlos

em99010pepe
12-10-2006, 05:40 AM
So far I added two machines, more to come....

Carlos

em99010pepe
12-11-2006, 11:42 AM
One to go....from my side...

Carlos

em99010pepe
12-12-2006, 06:57 AM
I think I can add more two machines...let's see....

em99010pepe
12-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Free-DC Mercenaries is flying!!!!

Carlos

em99010pepe
12-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Tomorrow I will start reducing my output.

Carlos

em99010pepe
12-16-2006, 12:38 AM
Leaving now to airport. Have at least three machines running eOn, one 24/7 and two 12/7.

Carlos

Bok
12-16-2006, 08:15 AM
Have a good vacation Carlos

Bok :cheers:

alpha
12-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Phew, looks like you lowered production just in time. I was starting to get concerned! :)

em99010pepe
12-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Phew, looks like you lowered production just in time. I was starting to get concerned! :)

I'll be back to hunt you.

Too hot here, left Portugal with 4°C and now it's 32°C in Rio de Janeiro. Passed the morning in the pool.....

Carlos

em99010pepe
12-21-2006, 02:45 PM
I don't have access to the machines so someone please tell me what's going on with the client? Seems to me that the wu's are huge or the zzz problem is back.

Carlos

Bok
12-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Lots of zzzz's I believe Carlos. I just fired it up real quick to test and that's what I got..

Bok

alpha
12-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I've stopped running it now for that reason.

em99010pepe
12-21-2006, 06:48 PM
Thank you both.

em99010pepe
12-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Free-DC Mercenaries :Pokes: alpha

em99010pepe
12-26-2006, 07:29 AM
alpha,

Aren't you going to fire up your machines?

Carlos

alpha
12-27-2006, 05:48 AM
Ah! Haven't been checking to see if things were back, thanks for the heads up! DEPLOY!

Edit: I seem to be a little late, I've already been passed. Very sneaky. :)

alpha
12-27-2006, 05:29 PM
Hmm, I just came back this evening to see 2hrs of idle CPU time. I think I'll move on to something else again for a while.

em99010pepe
01-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Back to eOn.

Carlos

em99010pepe
09-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Free-DC Mercenaries is back to TOP50.

Paratima
09-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Yay! :hifi: Keep 'em crunching!

em99010pepe
09-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Yay! :hifi: Keep 'em crunching!

Of course. Also I'm waiting for the cold weather to fire up more work machines.
By your output I suppose you're testing your new machine.

Carlos

em99010pepe
09-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Lost my work machines :swear: :bang: , tomorrow the output will be established.

Paratima
09-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Yup. Still getting set up. Also running fairly heavy on Cosmos, my first BOINC'er. I should have it sorted shortly.

Paratima
09-16-2007, 03:14 PM
While I'm here and just in case he wanders by, I'll say "Hello, IB. Good to see you crunching some EON!" :hiya:

em99010pepe
09-16-2007, 05:09 PM
By my AMD 64 3000+ output, the current one, I never though the P4 3.0GHz (64-bit) would kick my AMD out....I'm amazed....

em99010pepe
09-17-2007, 08:34 AM
Lost my work machines :swear: :bang: , tomorrow the output will be established.

Done.:rock:

LAURENU2
09-17-2007, 09:26 AM
By my AMD 64 3000+ output, the current one, I never though the P4 3.0GHz (64-bit) would kick my AMD out....I'm amazed....
AMD 3000 is only 1.8 ghz:lmao:
compare it to a AMD X2 6000 it is at 3.0 GHZ

em99010pepe
09-17-2007, 11:46 AM
AMD 3000 is only 1.8 ghz:lmao:
compare it to a AMD X2 6000 it is at 3.0 GHZ

Mine is at 2.0GHz, socket 754.

EDIT:

I usually compared the Intel 3.0Ghz machine with the AMD 64 3000+ on all projects. The most correct bench would be, as you mentioned, to compare them in terms of clock speed.

em99010pepe
09-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Free-DC Mercenaries is now with more than 1.5M results. Thank you all.

LAURENU2
09-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Free-DC Mercenaries is now with more than 1.5M results. Thank you all.
.Good Going ..Carlos
:allhail:
Keep it up:thumbs:

em99010pepe
09-27-2007, 02:47 AM
I just need to post here that I am not the only one running for Mercenaries....
Yesterday we did almost 37k, it wasn't more because I had network problems (3 hours) at work:bang: .

BTW, watch your back, soon you will need a third internet line. :looney:

LAURENU2
09-27-2007, 09:21 AM
BTW, watch your back, soon you will need a third internet line. :looney:
:rotfl: :lmao: :jester: Ya Right:lmao:

Chuck
09-27-2007, 12:25 PM
Before I forget any manners I 'might' have had... :)

Hi everyone!!!! Hi Bok, IB, Lauren, and Carlos.

I'm doing some thesis writing atm and am lending the boxen to the cause. Hope it helps. Only have about 38 Ghz total power (compared to Lauren & all), but all Opties at least here :) My electric meter spins like a top again... :rotfl: (at least I got my 12Mbit DSL line..... *finally* civilization comes to PA) :)

Hi and best wishes to all,
C.

PS: Waves 'Hi again' to Lauren!!!!! :)

Paratima
09-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Welcome, Chuck! :hiya:

And may your meter spin and spin and spin... :drums:

38GHz? :woot:

LAURENU2
09-27-2007, 07:51 PM

PS: Waves 'Hi again' to Lauren!!!!! :)

Hi Ya Chuck :hifi: long time no see Hope you were well and happy
Glad you can help out . We can use all the Bandwidth we can get if we are to pull this off
We Free-DC are also having a push in Cosmology@Home along side Eon
The 2 work well together:Pokes:
I think we can take 1st in both But Eon is a longer run so the more we can
point here the faster it will go

Bok
09-27-2007, 08:22 PM

Hi Chuck !

Good to see you around..

:thumbs:

Bok

IronBits
09-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Tis good to see you back! I was wondering what sort of mischief you were up to.
:smoking:

em99010pepe
09-28-2007, 07:46 AM
How come Free-DC Mercenaries is the current top user of the team?
IronBits, Lauren, what's up?

Carlos

LAURENU2
09-28-2007, 11:57 AM
I am tierd of turnning on and off 150 clients a day I am takeing a day off:rock:

em99010pepe
09-28-2007, 12:33 PM
I am tierd of turnning on and off 150 clients a day I am takeing a day off:rock:

I think it's more easy to block the eOn port on your router.

LAURENU2
09-28-2007, 01:37 PM
I think it's more easy to block the eOn port on your router.
But that will not stop all the network Calls that Eon makes dragging down the network speed True?
We here do have a life beyond DC:banana:

Chuck
09-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Tis good to see you back! I was wondering what sort of mischief you were up to.

IB,
I've been up to taking time off from work ( a year so far ) to complete my second thesis. I'm at the peer review / data verification / defense stages of the writing. Hope to have it all done, defended, and awarded and published by spring. Please understand that even DC-ing takes 2nd seat to this effort. I would like to be ready/certified/hired to teach at the upper undergrad-graduate-post grad levels by the fall.

You will like the thesis.... of that I am certain. (I had some GREAT mentors here in "DC Land" with the best team in the biz. Thanks to all the unnamed ones too.... it was a group effort to educate this block-head lol :cheers:

It is good to be back though.... I have been having a little fun re-learning what has changed and what has stayed the same. I will probably be actively working on a project. We will see what needs addressing when that occurs.

More to come as I get settled.

C.

em99010pepe
09-28-2007, 02:24 PM
We here do have a life beyond DC:banana:

By the number of posts you have....:looney:

Chuck
09-28-2007, 02:28 PM

A day off is a good thing. :) A year off is even better :rock:

I have some ideas on how to manage these things with Eon. If we have a private area/thread and/or I will simply PM as needed and we can make sure the right people get the info.

C.

LAURENU2
09-28-2007, 05:24 PM
By the number of posts you have....:looney:
Remember I am in training to be #1 Blabbermouth I have to keep my post count up
I guess you gave up, or could not keep up:lmao:
http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showpost.php?p=114245&postcount=104

And Besides Most people find my posts entertaining Or at least that is what I have been lead to beleave from feedback

Paratima
09-28-2007, 07:48 PM
Remember I am in training to be #1 Blabbermouth I have to keep my post count up
Oy, what a mouth! :taz:

Hey, with you and IB spending the day in Margaritaville, I actually got some WU's to crunch, for a change.

Personal total now (just) over 2.5 million WU!:woot:

Chuck
09-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Welcome, Chuck! :hiya:

And may your meter spin and spin and spin... :drums:

38GHz? :woot:

Paratima,
Sorry for the delay, I missed seeing your post. Yes, I have that much running here except that 1 machine is down (replacing HD's with SATA2 500GB boot and paging drives). Had to put in a secondary AC power panel for the additional lines (broke them out separately from the 200amp main) to the UPS switch-over box, moved two house essential circuits and pulled 30a rated lines with 15amp drops, ground-fault breakers and a fan for the whole basement to spread the heat. It will make for nice heat this winter. It was easy to get approved and do because the pole transformer (standard 2-3 home size) is within 75 feet and the house feed line has plenty of capacity remaining. I did the box wiring myself and simply had it inspected. As it stands, I can have a full 200a secondary service if I want, but it's not necessary. Essentially all I did was put in the smaller box and have it tapped in under the main meter and fuses (which were changed out for the 300a service rating) and in line with the UPS switcher.
I use 750w ANTEC power supplies on most of the machines, 550w ANTEC on the smaller ones. The HD's are the biggest draw (12vdc) & 13TB. All said and done, I run a fairly steady 3200-3400 va load (3 hair dryers on high), which is obviously good as i don't worry about voltage drops. The summer AC is the only kicker. The basement is not deep enough into the bedrock to provide total cooling so one more AC vent was needed. This is definitely enough to keep the place warm this winter (I hate it when the heatpump has to turn off as the baseboard kicks in). Total cost to operate the machines here is about $150-175/month, which is pretty darn good all things considering the power is conditioned before going to the machines (a fair amount of line loss). Yes, I did over-engineer the whole thing, but felt that flexibility was better than not enough. I can at least do emergency crossovers in winter if need be with a bigger generator (next on my list to get) but can help out the neighbors (retired couple) now if need be with some lighting and the fridge + tv + phone.
It will be interesting to see how well it really does this winter *IF* we get as cold, icey, and snowy a winter as predicted.
Right now I am finishing data collection needed for my thesis and most of my resources are used there. As things are freed up we'll see where help is needed. I don't have a real 'farm' by any definition... it's just a healthy collection of home-built work horses.

C

Paratima
09-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Chuck, I don't believe we've met before, although I've been around Free-DC since it started. Some paths just cross earlier, some later.

Anyway, it says in your profile, "Education". Sounds like "Electrician" wouldn't be a bad match either. :jester: Looks like a healthy collection of ponies you got there.

Mine is a very small pharm, just a couple of boxen at home and a few friends who tolerate my crunching on machines that (mostly) I built for them.

I have to lay claim to starting the current run against Ars in EON, egged on as I was by Carlos. Don't know if we'll actually beat them up very badly. We've easily got the horsepower, but it's staying power that counts with EON. Unfortunately, they set up the project (I believe) not expecting huge numbers of crunchers, or possibly just lack of expertise. So, when everybody has at it, we have trouble keeping all the boxes busy. But it's fun, anyway.

Glad to have you on board!

Chuck
09-28-2007, 09:45 PM
Paratima,
I don't think we've crossed paths either. But then I have been away from DC-ing for a while as Carlos and all will attest to. As for 'education', I am a Computer Engineer by profession, with emphasis in Avionics and Aerospace. I've been doing it for nearly 30 years now. I'm switching to education because I've wanted to teach for a LONG time. Getting my state & other academic coursework done is both fun and a pain. I am really looking forward to getting settled by next fall (if at all possible). I know I must complete the BS in Ed. minimally with starting to work on my MS a bonus. I know where I would like to teach, now all I have to do is wait it out.
As for 'Electrician', that definitely fits as well. I've worked with some wild stuff and my dad is a retired electrician (440vac - 3 phase grade stuff was his 'norm'). I just have to deal with 50hz, 60hz, and 400hz for the most part. The networking aspects I learned myself as it came to exist. I've been building machines since 1977 (when 4KB of ram was a lot!!! LOL).
As for my ponies here, the bulk of it is about 2.5 years old. Time to start the upgrade cycle again or just add to it. Time will tell. it's a lot to move. Most is 4U rack mount Tyan and Asus. I am playing with my first DDR2 machine and it's fun. The next real investment for me will be the quad-core Opties for all at the 3Ghz level. That will put the existing DDR ECC machines to their max. very shortly I will have the SATA2 cards for my K6-2 machine and setup a full RAID SAN box (think that's the right term). It'll be on the main backbone (1G) with 2x1G feeds (like the other machines) so all will be nice. I hope the K6-2 can handle the job.... which it should unless I do a full 'blast' from all. Right now I do watch HDTV (1080) and HD-DVD over the LAN with no problems (also have a Slingbox). I'm all ready for the Jan 2009 switchover to HD for the entire US. FCC says everything in the air MUST be digital... so it will minimally be 720p to free up bandwidth (don't quite see how given the math). I understand cable providers will continue to provide NTSC for a while longer, but not sure how long. They just redid our cable service cabling for full ATSC. Going to be interesting times. Oh.. (to all) watch for XBR5 televisions to be a good price this fall. They are the new, and very very good, NTSC, 720p, 1080i and 1080 native sets. Prices look promising after the bath the retailers/manufacturers took last holiday season with sub-standard feature equipment.

Oh, and thanks for the Welcome, it's good to be back. I will find a 'home' soon and then we'll see where the bits fly & land. Maybe EON can be done. I've seen some stats and it's looking good, but then Lauren and IB did take the day off. Seems the FIDA software has a few 'issues' as well as the UT servers (which I know how they think having lived in the DFW metroplex for work).

C.

Paratima
09-28-2007, 10:36 PM
We're brothers! :thumbs:

I retired 3 years ago after ~35 years software engineering, most recently in law enforcement, fire dispatch, 911 systems and like that. Earlier, did compilers, assemblers and device drivers. Had my own business for a few years making communications controllers.

Decided to turn longtime hobby into trade. Rather than going the formal education route, I got apprenticed to a pro photographer for a couple of years. Learned about (mostly) product and architectural photography. Am now setting up my own shop to do those things.

I think you'll like Free-DC. There's no pressure here except what you put on yourself. That's how come the Free part. People and projects come and go. It's comfy.

em99010pepe
09-30-2007, 11:28 AM
Lost again my work machines...sorry...:swear: :swear:

Chuck
09-30-2007, 04:59 PM
Paratima,
How about stating it like I do? "Retired from my career to have more personal time" or "Retired to DC-kick your butt" LOL.
C.

em99010pepe
01-04-2008, 03:16 PM

Chuck
01-04-2008, 04:37 PM
And just does that mean?

:roadkill:

:cheers:

em99010pepe
01-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Means you need to move your cores to eOn just for the weekend...
With only 3 machines I am doing half of Lauren's output per update.

Carlos

Paratima
01-04-2008, 06:54 PM
:jester: Go for it, Carlos! :bouncy:

I'd say you've got Lauren backed into a corner! :fight:

I can hardly wait to see you kick his butt, really good. :eek:

Paratima
01-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Paratima,
How about stating it like I do? "Retired from my career to have more personal time" or "Retired to DC-kick your butt" LOL.
C.
Well, yeah, mostly. :D

I actually LIKE working, as long as it's on my terms.

Chuck
01-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Well, yeah, mostly. :D

I actually LIKE working, as long as it's on my terms.

I can agree with that!

Carl did have a way of saying what he meant/wanted and still making it slide uphill gracefully!!!

PS: regarding my cores to 'box in' Lauren... Well, if I had some way of fixing a broken cygwin gcc compiler (for the console windows dummies) I'ld say sure... but I got a bunch of dos-only boxen that will scream with a dos-app as it takes little memory and a big quad is such a waste of power.

Anyone with ideas how to fix a win/2k (2005 orig install, updated and working 12/2007) cygwin gcc, please let me know.... if all else fails, i'll have to scrap the lot and that would be a waste of good cpu / download time / tailoring time........ a reinstall of gcc as well as an uninstall / fresh install did not fix it.... ex. gcc -c fn.c gives prompt but no output file.... but will spit out errors but still the -o options fail to produce the elusive .o

gcc -o xx X2.c should produce an executable... Nada. no temp assembler intermediate file found either.

Think is C-4 time... but that's a bit harsh for a new board filled w/ quad cores.

Ideas?

TIA.
C

Paratima
01-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Chuck, that's just plain weird. There sure ought to be enough expertise in Free-DC for something like that. IronBits is an encyclopedia on Windoze servers. Ya might try PM'ing Bok or PCZ, though. Hmmm, or maybe Condor. I haven't heard from FoBoT in ages, but he'd be good on it.

I'll keep thinking. C-4 is messy.

em99010pepe
01-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Everytime I move to eOn the server goes down..:swear: Think it's better to run something else in offline mode...

Chuck
01-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Chuck, that's just plain weird. There sure ought to be enough expertise in Free-DC for something like that. IronBits is an encyclopedia on Windoze servers. Ya might try PM'ing Bok or PCZ, though. Hmmm, or maybe Condor. I haven't heard from FoBoT in ages, but he'd be good on it.

I'll keep thinking. C-4 is messy.

Nagh, C-4 is fine..... it will erase the disc for sure..... now whether it's properly defragmented after the fact is something to discuss over a few cold beers :cheers: after a test of it using a cement truck full of hardened cement and C-4 (aka Mythbusters episode) ROFL :) I could change to the 'B' grade if you prefer. :Pokes:

As for weird, definitely.... nothing makes any sense. I think it's time for a cold reinstall, but all that tailoring and package selection just for a stupid bare-machine win box..... oh welll.... at least I'll get more of the machine than i would if it were running winbloze. :bang:

C

C.

Chuck
01-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Everytime I move to eOn the server goes down..:swear: Think it's better to run something else in offline mode...

eOn or eOFF ???

as in easy-On or easy-Off ?

Gotta ask: Someone flippin da svitches und messin mit da blinkin' liten?

em99010pepe
01-05-2008, 03:19 PM
I turned off eOn but I'm back to it again...now is e-ON!

em99010pepe
01-06-2008, 06:02 AM
It's difficult to get the red pie...I don't like the green one.

LAURENU2
01-06-2008, 12:43 PM
It's difficult to get the red pie...I don't like the green one. ...:lmao:
I am willing to share

:Pokes: Days to Barbecue rcoulter 126.2

em99010pepe
01-06-2008, 05:36 PM
I think we manage to equal your output per update. Today it's impossible to grab the red pie but tomorrow is another story.

Chuck
01-06-2008, 10:02 PM
if i read those numbers right, i think he was ahead of you at one point there, but i'm grateful for the pie, where would life be without pie?

do the all flat lines and two towering bars mean he went from zero to that in two days? (you got it..... i'm no stats-guy!)

C

Chuck
01-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Paratima,

i found the problem in cyggy-winblows. it's called a 'security update'... how quaint..eh?

ended up doing what i did not want to do... old, bare win 2k (everything turned off) just to get cyggy loaded.

that is the 'development partition'. flip the bios and boot dos... tada.

talk about windows being easy to use??? :bang: How intelligent does one have to be to get a marketting job??

:bonk:

anway, forgot now why i needed the c++ anyway, how wonderful. Hmm, perhaps i should just go back to my books?

Tnx,
C

Chuck
01-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Paratima,

Forgot to tell you.......Regarding the rest of the boxen... the quad kiddies are doing fine in their boxen. i'm glad i got the 4U rack mounts. Installs were a snap. (good not 'oops' snap)

Things are spinning up just fine otherwise and the house is toasty today... I ran a full stress test on one 4x4 and it held to 109F output.... at high volume. (you almost need hearing protection in here).

glad i didn't c-4 the one new quads, but the one HD is in the GC... :) I think the main 4G Fujitsu drive can 'retire with dignity' now. the other 4G drive was C-20'd (tossed into the Can from about 20 ft.).... darn that bottom sounded hard... OOOPS. ;)

As I finish putting in all the new cpus and ram, I'll update the info. Do I count cores or cpu and/or Ghz (or real MIPS)?

The thesis has gone through 2 major overhauls after 2 firm, challenging reviews.. Now it's looking like my first one.

The defense is solid and when that's done, she'll publish. I'm not so optimistic about teaching undergrad. I don't have the 'patience' for it (i think is the term)... lol

So it will a 2nd Ph.D. and a BS for the Uni to make adj. prof and above.

any suggestions? (everyone is welcome) just let me know. Teaching as a peer is one thing.... being the man up front some of the time was always fun and rewarding, but now it would be for real.... and an actual 'job' (three letters i am now allergic too! LOL) BUT, I insist on doing it right!

Later and tnx.
C.

Chuck
01-07-2008, 01:35 AM
Lauren, Carlos, and all,

Looks to be an interesting situation brewing. Part of me thinks Carlos has something up his sleeve while the other part of me thinks Lauren has a network problem.

Carlos: I did a short EON test from here via SanAntonio -> UTA (non-normal) Internet routing... Normal is D/FW (Dallas-FW) and Houston direct to Austin. I think, knowing the L3 network topology, I understand some of the problems and annotated below for you, Bok, IB, Lauren and all to ponder.

Also, For *ALL* Free-DC'ers to Cheer!!! :cheers: :rock:

End of day stats from direct at Eon web page.

You searched for the top 15 users in the current day
Trend Rank Nickname Avg Time (s) Results Team
1 weltest 0 361756
2 gwbar 2 122650 Team HD20
3 LAURENU2 1 42281 Free-DC
4 Free-DC Mercenaries 7 40619 Free-DC
5 antarax 8 38237 Alliance Francophone

Looks like We are on the move. Nice to see Free-DC in the top 5 at EON.!!!! :cheers: to all! Great work.

Lauren, do you have a winbox and dr/tcp and if so, may I ask your socket configs? I'ld be interested in seeing it if you care to share as your I-net link, given your location, getting a nice hub->hub shot across a lightly loaded section of the fabric.

I have 12 Mb (12.233)raw PPPOA coming down an effective 10 Mb rated line (.6 mi from the DSLAM and no splices except at connection point), and am not getting the same xfer speed you (efficiency rating) you appear to be.

cable here is useless, so that's out as an option... 10 or 25 Mb dsl -> 4x100M internal ports on Thomson modems (or 5mb->100 Mbit, 2 port) are the only choices... but it's a solid modem.

Current is sustained 8.01 Mbits/sec TCP via JAVA /HTML (all anti-v & FW stuff included in 'measured throughput' seen by applications (aka 1.2MB/sec).... ATM is sync (grin)..so it appears to be right on spec of 12.23Mb.... 1/2 of T2-T3 line.

How's that rate?

Congrats to all!!!!

Thanks,
Chuck

LAURENU2
01-07-2008, 02:08 AM
Lauren, do you have a winbox and dr/tcp and if so, may I ask your socket configs? I'ld be interested in seeing it if you care to share as your I-net link, given your location, getting a nice hub->hub shot across a lightly loaded section of the fabric.

Not sure what your Asking here I have 2 DSL lines 1.5 M down and 325 K up 1 line for Me and 1 line for EON

Chuck
01-07-2008, 04:04 AM
Not sure what your Asking here I have 2 DSL lines 1.5 M down and 325 K up 1 line for Me and 1 line for EON

Lauren,
Actually that answers most of it. I have an agregated 10M down / 1 M up which i provision myself in the first FW/router as it splits off for the house and the machines... it's how I keep the two from colliding as well as others from seeing all the equipment. This is the way I let the slow (10 Mbit internet DC project) work not interfere with the Gigabit backbones for my internal / personal use machines + watching video, HD-TV over ethernet 6Mbits/sec (HD).... etc.... stuff like that..

If you have windows and pull up Dr Tcp... it will show your windows (TCP/IP) socket driver's configuration. I am curious about the values in those windows.. TCP Rwin size (Receive window size) and other info...also if your MTU is set for the std 1500 or you have something else that works better for PPPOA. (ATM packets are a lot smaller and that does slow down tcp/ip by design in conversion /disassembly /reassembly.

I am curious how you get such a fast (1 sec) line from you to Austin on 1.5 M/325K up.... while I maintained a 6-8 sec avg time for the Eon Project... AND they have the 'ping' port blocked to prevent DOS attacks so i can't measure the true wire speed. (the whole UT system seems ping blocked).

Now, what's curious is that from me to Bucknell (within the same ISP) is a 1 ms turn around time and Bucknell is about 2 hours drive from here due to river crossing points with 4 KNOWN switching centers inbetween.

I can see how having two seperate lines will get 'trained' on the fastest path from point A -> B, and then A -> General usage. (i think your system self/defacto configured itself with the fastest routers from you to Austin).

I'm going to ask if it's possible to get twin 5GB lines or if a single 10 is how they configure it. I suspect the switch is configured for 5 or 10, but not both.... I also may be due for a 'port kick' which happens sometimes when a card has been used heavily and it just needs a 'reset'.... fussy high speed electronics.... telco switches.... why RTFM... just hit reset! :)

Thanks,
Chuck

em99010pepe
01-07-2008, 09:42 AM
I expect to crunch eOn for the next two week in a row, then I must finish some RieselSieve ranges. There's an opportunity to put the team in second spot.

Carlos

Paratima
01-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Carlos, you do look good in RED!

Chuck: Glad to hear you got the cygwin thing fixed. Security update, huh? Like, do us a favor...

I've had mixed results with Fuji drives. Glad the 4x4's are spinning up. A bit windy, eh? :jester:

em99010pepe
01-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Just a little correction...

We do look good in RED!

LAURENU2
01-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Just a little correction...

We do look good in RED!
I thought that was IB's Line :thumbs:

IronBits
01-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Sooo, that's where the RED dress went? :rotfl:

Paratima
01-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Whoa! Let's let sleeping Red Dresses lie, shall we? :scared:

em99010pepe
01-08-2008, 03:01 AM
Sooo, that's where the RED dress went? :rotfl:

I'm out...better stay with Lauren...

em99010pepe
04-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Mercenaries are back to eOn! We will run for 10M results, help needed...

Chuck
04-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Had a few spare cycles.... and we do look good in RED

Now to get us up there at the project level....

Also, found out a few things today about the Eon server..... Please watch it to see if it is holding sockets open on us.... that is what it was doing on me... I forced them closed instead of terminating processes and it improved performance......

Anyone else notice this????? Perhaps this is what Lijun needs to hear.... Perhaps a bug in the server code is holding sockets open and locking it up...

Thoughts?

Chuck

LAURENU2
04-17-2008, 11:26 PM
All my sockets have PC power cords pluged in them :looney:

Chuck
04-17-2008, 11:54 PM
well, there ya go... I knew there was a socket problem.... you forgot the one socket and adapter for the operator!!!!!!

How many times do we have to tell ya that ya have to be properly terminated to used the puter???? :jester:

em99010pepe
04-18-2008, 04:09 AM
glenn119 is down, next is Paratima...today I'll add one more core to eOn...beep beep...

:train: Paratima

Carlos

Chuck
04-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Just added another core.... Just 1 mind you!!! :)

em99010pepe
04-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Just added the core.

Paratima
04-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Chuck,

What are you saying about the sockets? How do you force the sockets to close? Need some details, please. :scratch:

PM me if ya want.

Chuck
04-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Watch how many sockets are opened before you start the processes, get opened and stay opened during normal processing... and then, when a process tries to connect but is unable to make contact with the Eon server, make sure the connect attempt socket is closed and goes away...... first, let's verify that is the problem you have... once confirmed we have the same problem, then we can probably use the same fix.

CHuck

Paratima
04-18-2008, 10:27 PM
I'll check it out. Anything to get this beast of a project to run better!

Chuck
04-18-2008, 10:40 PM
As you can see from the performance stats of the past few days that I have been helping out with Mercenaries.... I've got things running pretty well. Most people run 12 instances / core..... I run 8 instances/core and am running 5 cores (of a possible 19) and find it performs better for me on this DSL (12Mbit/1Mbit). I get no more than 20 seconds of wait time , 1 or 2 times, at maximum web site loading and typically get 0-5 seconds of wait time waiting for the task to assign, download and start running.

Let's keep an eye on this and see what is the best way to run it. I also have some ideas about nice level / priority level which seem to also have an impact, however I don't consider 2 days of data sufficient to define a positive or negative impact.

Any suggestions / questions are welcome... perhaps we can get some things works out that will help them with their code... which is, as we know, quite dated.

C.

alpha
04-19-2008, 06:42 AM
I'm seeing the sockets staying open as well, but once they get to a TIME_WAIT state, the socket should be closed after 240 seconds (default). For that reason, I never notice an overwhelming number of open sockets, but I'm currently only running one instance at the moment. I can imagine them piling up with 12 instances per core.

It seems you can tweak the number of seconds to wait before closing an open socket in the TIME_WAIT state, by editing the registry. This link describes what you need to do (http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/878/). I've changed mine down to 30 seconds, but until I fire up a load more instances I won't really see any huge differences.

Beware that changing that registry entry might have adverse effects on other network related applications.

Chuck
04-20-2008, 01:52 AM
Thanks for pointing out the parameter in the Tcp/IP driver that was the key. The other mechanism was to overpower the driver... which i have also partially done.

There are a bunch of parameters hard coded into the driver itself that are only overridden IF the DWORD name match is found in the registry.

I've done a few of the other tweaks that I commonly do to linux/unix systems. So far all is looking good.

If all continues to go well (give it the 24 hour shake down test).... I will post all the parameters for you to bless and then advise if everyone should take into consideration.

Windows is so much different than the machines I'm used to working on. Sorry I couldn't recall the specific parameter by name, but at least I pointed you to it and you pulled it's name up.... I'm (and I'm sure we all are) greatly appreciative.

I did an adjustment on my TCP params (Rwin, etc) and my 12 Mbit DSL PPPOA , which normally sustains 1.2MB/sec is running *much* nicer in windows (both 2k and XP) It's actually keeping up with my linux boxen..... The acid test will be to see if my adjustments hold up to a private bit torrent test tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Chuck

alpha
04-25-2008, 07:39 AM
Where are the Mercenaries today? The work units are coming thick and fast and we seem to be pretty hot on the dailies at the moment. We've massively outproduced the top two teams over the past week.

em99010pepe
04-25-2008, 08:35 AM
Where are the Mercenaries today? The work units are coming thick and fast and we seem to be pretty hot on the dailies at the moment. We've massively outproduced the top two teams over the past week.

All my cores are now for the next month or two dedicated to prime hunting...sorry.

alpha
04-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Understood, I'll try and fire up another client or two whilst the work is flowing.