PDA

View Full Version : Odd Networking Issue

DesertFolk
04-09-2006, 05:59 AM
I am having an odd network issue that I have never seen before.

I have a RAID 5 volume (7x300GB drives) with a share on it. The share has Full Control permissions on it for Domain Admins and 3 specific users We will call them User A, User B and User C. Domain Users have Read & Execute permissions.

User A creates folders and files in the share, but User B cannot see any of the new folders and files. User B puts new folders and files on the share, but User C cannot see them.

Users A, B and C have Full Control permissions on the share and all folders, subfolders and files. Why can one user not see the other users files?

IronBits
04-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Share permissions need to be Full for 'authenticated users' or 'everyone'
File level permissions, where you should control them, should be Full for Admin types and 'modify' for the 'above mentioned users.
The Share perm allows everyone to see the share, however, the File level permissions keep everyone out except those you allow.

DesertFolk
04-10-2006, 05:07 AM
I had the Domain Users as having Full Control of the share, but I changed it to Everyone. I also verified the Security permissions on the folder and pushed them down to all subfolders and files.

I found something a bit more serious when I investigated further. I actually have 8 of the RAID 5 volumes (each have 7x300GB drives) that give me approximately 12.5TB of usable space. They are configured as 8 separate 1.6TB drives instead of 1 large Volume because Dell said that Windows Dynamic disk does not play well with hardware RAID. 4 of the drives showed that they must be initialized in Disk Management. The SCSI card the 4 drives are attached to was not working properly, so I had to shut down the server in the middle of the day while everyone was using it. I moved the SCSi card to another slot, and when I put it all back together and booted up, everything was reporting green.

A lot of the files that the 3 users had created or been working on the past couple of days are gone, but at least all the hardware is ok and the users seem to be able to see all files.