PDA

View Full Version : Dyyryath makes move

IronBits
06-28-2002, 12:49 AM
Congratulations to Dyyryath for finally sliding past me to take the lead ! :cheers: :smoking: :notworthy :thumbs:

Paratima
06-28-2002, 07:20 AM
Good for Dyyryath! It's about time someone put you in your place. :p

For me personally to do anything about it is more of a problem. I've borged everything but the dishwasher. :confused:

Since you moved back from eccp or whatever that was, you're coming on too strong. I'm gonna have to add at least 2 brand-new boxen to start catching you again. Bummer!

Oh, well. Hand me that Phillips. :smoking:

Edit: Oops. Looked at numbers again. Make that 3 new boxen. :cry:

pointwood
06-28-2002, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Paratima
For me personally to do anything about it is more of a problem. I've borged everything but the dishwasher. :confused: Well, what are you waiting for :jester:

Dyyryath
06-29-2002, 08:32 PM
Heh, yeah, I noticed he stuck that 'finally' in there. :D :D

IronBits
06-29-2002, 11:04 PM
Don't turn any boxen off, or you will lose the lead.
I think slugs move along faster than that :p :D

Dyyryath
06-30-2002, 01:25 AM
LOL, I've got a bunch that need to be restarted right now. I'm gonna deal with them in the morning. ;)

Moogie
07-01-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by IronBits
Don't turn any boxen off, or you will lose the lead.
I think slugs move along faster than that :p :D

Good of you to let him take the lead for a little bit IB. It'll be good for his ego. How long you gonna let him hold it? Did you tell him about the ace in your sleeve? :D

:p

Moogie
07-01-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Paratima

For me personally to do anything about it is more of a problem. I've borged everything but the dishwasher. :confused:

You still haven't done that yet? :D

IronBits
07-01-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Dyyryath
LOL, I've got a bunch that need to be restarted right now. I'm gonna deal with them in the morning. ;)

Groan... U Bastard! :p
erm... how many is a bunch? ;)
Don't make me sic JTrinkle on ya! :D

Paratima
07-01-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Moogie
You still haven't done that yet? :D Nah, I got sidetracked when someone told me my phone has a computer in it...

It didn't work out. :bs:

IronBits
07-01-2002, 08:27 PM
Jodie says she "measured 12% faster on Linux (intel compile) to Windows 2000 Pro on identical XP1800+/512 - RH 7.1 w/2.4.17 Kernel - the gcc compile is nearly identical to the windows speeds."
!!! I didn't know this. :(
I just changed 5 processors running Linux to the Intel compiled version.
I need all the 12% increase I can get...
/me shakes calculator
12 x 5 = 60% more production !!! :D
Look out Dyyryath... Here I come!!! :scared:
:jester:

Paratima
07-01-2002, 09:01 PM
12 x 5 = 60% more production !!! :swear: Can't ANYONE keep ANYTHING a SECRET, anymore? :swear:

xj10bt
07-01-2002, 10:08 PM
12 x 5 = 60% more production !!! :DJust think, if you had had 9 procs you could have more than doubled production! Or something like that...

Paratima
07-01-2002, 10:43 PM
Well, hey... 60% of ONE processor, not the whole farm! Math, schmath. :p

IronBits
07-02-2002, 12:50 AM
/me looks down at his broken abacus and :cry:
Fine mess I'm in now ! :rolleyes:
Well, hell... Now I'm really :swear:
Just for that, there will be 3 more AMD XP1900+ procs added to the pharm on Wednesday! :D
and an AMD XP1800+ by this week-end :rotfl:
/me watches as Partima's calculator begins to smoke, or is that coming from his ears?
Hard to tell from this distance. :jester:

Paratima
07-02-2002, 07:14 PM
HEY! :swear: I don't need to hear about FOUR more systems!

Think of the pollution you'll cause, the electricity you'll have to buy, and the state of my depleted bank account, JUST TO TRY TO KEEP UP! :bang: And then there's the pollution I'll cause, the electricity I'll use... IronBits, you're more damn trouble than ColinT, if that's possible.

Doesn't ECCp need you? Someone? Anyone? :help:

Supp
07-02-2002, 07:39 PM
ECCp needs him, but you know IB as well as I do - he'll stay where he can cause worst-case stats scenario for his fellow team-mates :D :smoking: :D

IronBits
07-02-2002, 10:36 PM
OH NO!!! Wouldn't ya know it?
The Dual showed up one day ahead of schedule :p :smoking:
Damn I hate it when that happens. :bang: :D
I just now got it fired up...
I'll be watching the next few STATS updates, along with Paratima, to see what it can do. ;)
I remembered to get that 'intel' compiled version to. :D
Oh, almost forgot... I learned everything I know from ColinT :D :D

Scoofy12
07-02-2002, 11:24 PM
And not a moment too soon. It would look pretty pathetic if Jodie was to beat our entire team's production (she's currently within about 700K of us) :shocked:
I'm gonna get me one of these (http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/02q3/020701/index.html) and go to town :D

IronBits
07-04-2002, 12:52 PM
Hey Mom!... Look at me! I'm RED !!!
:D :D :D

IronBits
07-04-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Scoofy12
And not a moment too soon. It would look pretty pathetic if Jodie was to beat our entire team's production (she's currently within about 700K of us) I'm gonna get me one of these (http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/02q3/020701/index.html) and go to town :D
She has some awesome power at her disposal...
Damn, you gonna put your entire pharm on one of those? :D

Paratima
07-04-2002, 02:05 PM
Hey Mom!... Look at me! I'm RED !!!
:D :D :D Heh! Me too! And MashRinx! Ain't we cute? :D

Lots of our folks are bustin' out in new colors. Dyyryath, if you change the color-requirements at this particular time, I will personally come over there and :haddock:

Or maybe I'll get FoBoT to use his carp (http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php3?s=&postid=9460#post9460). :rotfl:

Moogie
07-04-2002, 02:08 PM
He needs to add a few more colors for the lower producers so we have something to shoot for. :)

Paratima
07-04-2002, 02:30 PM
He needs to add a few more colors for the lower producers so we have something to shoot for. :) HEY DYY! You gettin' this? Ever'body likes to be noticed and to have goals! :) I agree 100%, Moogie.

Edit: Condor's now in the red, BTW.

Richard Clyne
07-04-2002, 03:08 PM
He needs to add a few more colors for the lower producers so we have something to shoot for. :)

As long as it's not PINK :)

Moogie
07-04-2002, 03:46 PM
What's wrong with pink? ;)

Actually, I'd have to agree with you on that one.

:scared:

Paratima
07-04-2002, 06:36 PM
Just lookin' at the stats (which I don't do very often at all, at all) and it occurs to me, Moogs, that all you've got to do to turn a nice shade of green is turn up the juice a little. You are SO close!

Did you ever get that blender programmed? :p

Paratima
07-04-2002, 07:43 PM
Well, obviously, you did!! :|party|: :D ;) :p

Moogie
07-05-2002, 07:26 PM
LOL! This won't last too long. I was able to borg a friends puter or two for a short duration. I am enjoying it while it lasts though. :)

:D

collin
07-05-2002, 07:45 PM
Jodie says she "measured 12% faster on Linux (intel compile) to Windows 2000 Pro on identical XP1800+/512 - RH 7.1 w/2.4.17 Kernel - the gcc compile is nearly identical to the windows speeds."
!!! I didn't know this. :(
I just changed 5 processors running Linux to the Intel compiled version.
I need all the 12% increase I can get...
/me shakes calculator
12 x 5 = 60% more production !!! :D
Look out Dyyryath... Here I come!!! :scared:
:jester:
I've done a simple measurement with my machine using both Mandrake 8.2 (2.4.18, icc-compile) and Win98SE. With Dyyryath's perl script and Digital Parasite's dfgui, I measured about 4400 structs/hour versus about 4600 structs/hour on Win98SE. The Linux installation was without Xwindows, running on console with -p 20 switch. ymmv of course.

Paratima
07-05-2002, 08:27 PM
Moogie: That's why the colors are there... incentive! Good work! :thumbs:

collin: Those results are consistent with mine. Win98 really IS fast, especially with -qt. I believe the ColinT and JTrinkle, when they were still folding, ran mostly Win98. I know that JTrinkle and I seemed to be bitchin' about the same errors on W98 protein changes. W2000 is MUCH slower.

JTrinkle: If you're checking out this forum, they got it fixed! I haven't had a problem on the last 4 protein changes with my W98 boxen. Come on back & fold a few with us! We need the help!! :smoking:

IronBits
07-06-2002, 05:02 AM
/me takes notes on Paratima's tweaking and observations.
:p I've got my eye on you bud ;)
Dyyryath better not even blink or he's gonna be in trouble :D
Go! :cheers: Go!

Paratima
07-06-2002, 09:30 AM
'Tis indeed a world of canine canine-consumption. :D

Fold ON!

Chinasaur
07-06-2002, 12:49 PM
Hey Paratima,

Win98 faster than Win2K? I believe it if you say so..but..

How do you set the priority in Win98 or is it possible?

I haven't run a Windows machine at home for DC in nine months so I'm thankfully forgetting it... :jester:

Nice work all..the team is really trying.

:cheers:

Paratima
07-06-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Chinasaur
How do you set the priority in Win98 or is it possible?You can set priorities on any version of Windoze with TaskInfo (http://www.iarsn.com/), shareware definitely worth the $35 registration. It's like the NT/W2K/WXP Task Manager, only with several more bells and whistles. :)

And yes, I've found DF to run faster on 98 than 2K. I'm not sure why. Both systems report the client using 99-100% of the processor time, but I think there's something else going on there. :confused: Needs more testing. I'll post timings from some comparative runs on the same hardware when I get a chance.

Anyway, I envy you your Windoze-less-ness! I'm addicted to a few programs (Photoshop and some games) and just haven't been able to cut the cord.

collin
07-07-2002, 02:38 AM
By running the client with the -p switch you can alter the runtime priorities. The numbers ranges from -20 to 20. But there are only a few choices (mappings) available on the Windows platform.

IronBits
07-07-2002, 05:15 AM
Well, I finally got that XP1900 and an Intel 850 borged and online just now, thanks to my brother Tim! :cheers:
Oh, and the XP1600 is back from a 2 week vacation to :D :D
/me looks up and sees the tailights of the elusive DyyMobile just ahead. :jester:

Looks like I'll catch JTrinkle in less than a month and
Dyyryath will pass JTrinkle before the end of this month!

/me watches as JTrinkle shifts his weight nervously for a moment, then promptly falls back to :sleepy: mumbling something about
"I'll :spray: on that DyyMobile if he gets too close" ;) then snores loudly :bs: and mumbles something about "he can kiss my :moon: ", as he rolls over... :D

Moogie
07-07-2002, 01:51 PM
I'm dooooooomed! :)

Yes, I did get the blender running and it lasted right up until I passed Magnav0x but it turns out that the blades can't handle that kind of heat. PLUS...it makes it really hard to sleep. :) I'm sure the lead won't hold for too long so I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts. :cheers:

Will be trying the vacuum cleaner next..there sure are alot of attachments to wade through.

TTFN!!

:)

/me wanders a round the stats looking for next target. :)

IronBits
07-09-2002, 01:42 AM
/me starts loosening the muffler bolts on Dyyryath's rocket
:p :rotfl:

Moogie
07-09-2002, 01:57 AM
/me hands IB a screwdriver..don't forget that one over there. :D

Dyyryath
07-11-2002, 01:34 AM
/me starts loosening the muffler bolts on Dyyryath's rocket
:p :rotfl:

You bastard! :swear: :D

That's OK, though. I went around tonight and tightened up about 7ghz worth of them. :thumbs:

IronBits
07-11-2002, 10:01 AM
/me groans under the strain of it all
Bastard!!! Just when I thought there was some hope! ;)
Now I know how Partima feels, only worse. :D :p

Paratima
07-11-2002, 01:21 PM
You (puff) got that right! (puff) Whew! You're awful tough on an old guy!

I gotta lotta runnin just to stay in place. :eek: I gotta find a better way.

Doesn't ECCp need you for a while? :D BOTH of you, that is...

MashRinx
07-11-2002, 05:17 PM
added about 10 gigs myself last night... Slowly but surely..... :)

Dyyryath
07-11-2002, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on you, Mash old buddy! :scared: :D

Paratima
07-11-2002, 06:39 PM
This is just great! The ones in front are just dwindling taillights in the dust and the ones behind are comin' on like a steamroller. :eek:

/me looks at Dyy's stats page with renewed interest in the "Top Threats" section) /

Hmm. Guess I've got a little while come up with sumthin. ;)

IronBits
07-11-2002, 08:00 PM
Paratima, I already have 1 Dual XP1900 and 1 AMD 1.4GHz boxen on ECCp. :rolleyes:
What more do you want? :p ;)
/me looks down at Mashrinx's new output :scared:
:bs: :moon: :notworthy :help:
I think I'm going :crazy: :D

IronBits
07-17-2002, 02:16 AM
It's too bad Paratima had such a bad time starting up with this new protein. :( ;) :p :D

Paratima
07-17-2002, 07:24 AM
:mad: #*@!^# What makes you think that? :swear: Bad time? Me? :bang:

MashRinx
07-17-2002, 12:58 PM
There are two offices local to me here in Atlanta. I've gotten about 75% of the ones in my "primary" office up and running.

I'm in the 2nd office today and may just get some of these machines running this afternoon. :thumbs: (FYI, there are about 50% MORE machines in the office than in the other....)

Here I come Dyy... Reminds me of the old days fighting for the #1 spot in F@H. :)

I enjoy DC and missed the friendly competition where ther are NO loosers..... :smoking:

Mash

IronBits
07-17-2002, 07:45 PM
FIFTY percent MORE :scared:
Very nice indeed! :D

IronBits
07-26-2002, 09:43 AM
/me reaches out to Moogie for the screwdriver and wrenches to loosen Dyyryath's muffler... again! :D
:moon: :rotfl:

I also found one of the borged XP1600 boxen hadn't been doing anything for the past 3 weeks. :bang: :swear:
But it's running again, with the -rt switch :D :jester:

I am relentless! :crazy: ColinT learned me well. :notworthy

Dyyryath
07-27-2002, 02:20 AM
IB, you butt-monkey! :swear: :swear: :spank: :spank: :D :D

Alright, I'm obviously gonna have to break down and add the -rt switch to all of my boxes.

Think I'll switch to the Intel compiler version, too.

And maybe I'll add this pair of rack mount P3-1000s I've got sitting here doing nothing.

And finally, if all that isn't enough to put me ahead of IB in the dailies again, I'll take some time and build a couple of CD-ROM based Linux installs so I can move my fast game boxes from XP to Linux when they aren't being used for Quake.

I really should go ahead and order a new XP2200 for my devel box and move this tired old XP1600 to one of my spare cases...

Hmmm, I'll have a spare dual P3-933 here soon, too...

IronBits
07-27-2002, 02:55 AM
/images/kilroy.gif
/dennis the menace voice
Hey Mr. Dyyryath! ... Whatcha doing over there? :p
:cheers:

Dyyryath
07-28-2002, 12:28 AM
Just enough, apparently... ;)

http://www.zerothelement.com/cgi-bin/fdc-stats/distfold/graph-vs.pl?userId1=645&userId2=644

IronBits
07-28-2002, 12:41 AM
I see you have been a busy boy! :swear: :help: :bs: :D
I suppose I'll have to go get another Dual,
to make you throw the rest of that rusting iron
you have over there, into the arena. ;) :D
:haddock:
/me mumbles to self... bastard has to be running out of hardware... :p
and where is that "breaker of rule #1" when ya need em? :moon:

Dyyryath
07-28-2002, 01:13 AM
and where is that "breaker of rule #1" when ya need em? :moon:

Cowering in fear over in the SETI project, last I heard... ;)

BTW, it's going to get just a smidge worse over the next 24 hours. I just added a pair of P3-1000s in the last couple of hours. :thumbs:

You probably shouldn't push me any further, you know...I've got a really ornery P2-450 laptop and three slightly less ornery but still dangerous P-133s still sitting in reserve over here. I will release them all over you if you aren't careful. ;) :D :D

IronBits
07-28-2002, 09:59 AM
Well I see that 1.2 AMD borged boxen is out of storage finally. :smoking:
As soon as my nephew gets back from his HoneyMoon,
I'll get it off RC5 and onto DF, just to help out the project of course. ;) :D :|punch|:

/me starts looking around for that 800 lb gorilla,
HeWhoBreaksRule#1 :sleepy:
/me wonders if HWBR#1 is waiting for Dyyryath to get closer, so he can kiss his :moon: again. :jester: ;) :D
:thumbs:

IronBits
07-29-2002, 01:26 PM
Well Damn it!!! I just found out an XP1600 and a 1.2 AMD are both out of action for a couple days. :( :swear:

IronBits
07-30-2002, 10:31 AM
And now guru has started back up! :(
/me hangs head in despair - yup, need another Dual.
:D Of course, just to upgrade the Free-DC Server and all... :rolleyes: :D

I hear JTrinkle will be down and out for about 8 days!