PDA

View Full Version : Stereo to 5.1

CaptainMooseInc
05-08-2006, 08:15 PM
I want my MP3s to play over my 5.1 Logitech speakers. Currently it only uses the sub and the front two and my Center speaker is really loud and so are my back two. It's really sad paying for 5.1 and not getting to enjoy it. Unfortunately this computer doesn't have a Creative Labs card in it so I can't use the CMSS upmix feature to force music to play over all speakers.

-Jeff

gopher_yarrowzoo
05-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Hmm it all depends on exactly what you wanna do with it, the 5.1 speaker system I got has a button on it that will take either a stereo or 5.1 source and output it as 5.1 works too, not bad effect either, I can control the volume of front / rear / centre & subwoofer and overall it was a cheapish Trust 5.1 kit, but it does the job takes the speaker output from my PC and amps it up nice ;)

What can I say it does me, don't need 25W/chan speakers etc and I honestly don't see the point in having huge speaker, okay I can see the point of the "higher powered" ones as they will be able to take more power and give more volume - all fine and well if ya wanna go deaf quick, I don't..
Hmm I know i've went Off Topic but hope that helps / explains a bit

Shish
05-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Can`t remember exactly how it works but part of the Dolby thing was that the extra channels were still encoded on a stereo signal and can be decoded into whatever their information was coded in by any setup be it stereo (2 channel) Dolby 3+1 (one of the original with 2 front, 2 rear on one channel and a centre) Dolby Digital 5.1/6.1/7.1/8.1.
My Yamaha is an original 3.1+ super bass with an extra set of add on decoders feeding the side and rear speakers and a "differential signal" feeding 2 centre rear speakers and 2 side to side. All the speakers are actually physical stereo pairs with separate valve pre and post amp 2 channel feeds except the "differential" signals which are exactly that.
I have both Nicam Stereo, Dolby, Dolby Digital and Lucas Dolby Digital (Theatre Surround) as well as a setup for 70mm 16 channel stereo digital (don`t ask but it came from a defunct cinema test bed).
Man I even still got the Laser Disks with the best sound demo`s ever...original Star Wars and the Machines scene from Terminator.
That`s the test for any setup, how accurate it can go from stereo with embedded Dolby upto max of 8.1 current Dolby D/DF/ Dask5. But you won`t get more out than the signal it was encoded with though you can, with the correct gear, still do dsp on any, including stereo, signals