PDA

View Full Version : I've been asked to...

gopher_yarrowzoo
05-23-2006, 07:54 PM
My boss has asked me to redo the company website - now this has to look good, promote the company etc, etc.
Now Im used to using simplistic tools like Ultra-Edit32, Paint Shop Pro maybe a bit of Flash MX.
I don't think those are up to the task or are they, Im not 100% sure on site content yet either :(:confused:
So any idea on what to get I need something that's not complex to learn and doesn't need the host to support anything otherwise I'd have done SSI based pages to simplify things like menu interaction.
Our web host is currently Demon UK - this may be changing, they don't support SSI or php or many things that are useful.
Don't say to use Front Page because well, a punch in the face may just offend slightly - get me?
:help: :help:

Scoofy12
05-24-2006, 02:30 PM
my thought is, screw editing HTML or any kind of page creation and go with some kind of CMS, like Joomla if it fits your needs (of course, you need PHP for that. so switch hosts).

gopher_yarrowzoo
05-24-2006, 03:13 PM
yeah just thinking that even demon's best package doesn't offer it and it's a must for most websites these days that want dynamic / semi-dynamic conent and easy maintainance.

Bok
05-24-2006, 04:24 PM
Personally I develop completely in Vi but I once gave Quanta a go. I don't know if it was ever ported to windows though as it was a few years ago..

Bok

Digital Parasite
05-25-2006, 10:32 AM
I used to use Vi/Notepad but now I like the free Crimson Editor for Windows because it has nice colour tagging for various languages.

Petey
05-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Nvu isn't a bad editor and there is always Amaya (not for the faint hearted).

Most folk I know still use conText though.

gopher_yarrowzoo
05-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Hmm Ultra Edit-32 does color syntax highlighting for HTML, javascript & PHP ;)
why I like it..
Apart from the 2 tools I've mentioned already, what else do you think I need to make this site work for the company I work for?
I know, I'll get another host :P