PDA

View Full Version : i'm new!

bobthedinosaur
05-26-2006, 05:08 AM
hi, i just signed up for Rossetta@home, i've got this gaming pc that i built up last year for playing the latest games on and now i've found that it spends 95% of its time doing nothing cos i'm too busy studying to play games... :(

so when i got an email from the XS ppl about this project i thought that would be a kickass way to put my pc to good use

so anyway, i'm having trouble with the rosetta app (V5.16) it keeps crashing after a certain amount of time.. not sure how long, i've been leaving it on at night when i go to bed and when i go check in the morning there's that little windows error box thingy telling me the app crashed, now my pc isn't particularly tweaked, it's an AMD3500+ running at like 2444 i think, 1GIG of good non-overclocked DDR400, a WD raptor 74G, all on a MSI Diamond mainboard

could anyone give me any hints as to why the app keeps bombing out? i've got norton internet security running, could it be that? what should i look out for?

any help would be appreciated... thanks!

Bok
05-26-2006, 08:44 AM
Interesting... so you joined up with XtremeSystems but are asking for help here :|party|::banana:

J/K we aim to help anyone ... I suspect it is just the fact that you are now stressing your PC to the max. Back down the overclock somewhat and try again. Watch the CPU temps also..

Bok

Smurfy
05-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Hey Bob :)

Does seem strange your get an E-mail from Team XS, and come to our nemisis to ask for help :P

First of all m8, id start for running prime for a while.
http://sp2004.fre3.com/
You can download it here.

Its a stress testing tool, it allows you to stress your CPU and Memory, which will hopefully tell you your system is stable, id start off by running the test: Blend, this will test CPU and memory, you will need to run it for a minimum of 12 hours to get any really reliable picture of weather your system is stable. I would take a guess and say this is going to fail for you. Then as boc said, downclock and retest.

If you require any more help, im sure the guys at FDC wouldnt mind helping you, nice bunch even if we are in mortal combat with them atm.

Or you could try askign the team that sent you the e-mail.
www.xtremesystems.org and then the rosetta forum :P

Whcih team did you join our of interest ?:)

I feel i should also say hello to the guys over at FDC, as its my first post here.

Thanks for hosting the best stats page iv come across also.

LAURENU2
05-26-2006, 09:53 AM
hi, i just signed up for Rossetta@home, i've got this gaming pc that i built up last year for playing the latest games on and now i've found that it spends 95% of its time doing nothing cos i'm too busy studying to play games... :(

so when i got an email from the XS ppl about this project i thought that would be a kickass way to put my pc to good use
thanks!

The first thing you do is change teams to Free-DC:Pokes: that alone will solve 95% of the problems that you are now having:rotfl:
Post back here after you have done that and we will fix the other 5% :banana:

riptide
05-26-2006, 11:29 AM

so anyway, i'm having trouble with the rosetta app (V5.16) it keeps crashing after a certain amount of time.. not sure how long, i've been leaving it on at night when i go to bed and when i go check in the morning there's that little windows error box thingy telling me the app crashed, now my pc isn't particularly tweaked, it's an AMD3500+ running at like 2444 i think, 1GIG of good non-overclocked DDR400, a WD raptor 74G, all on a MSI Diamond mainboard

could anyone give me any hints as to why the app keeps bombing out? i've got norton internet security running, could it be that? what should i look out for?

any help would be appreciated... thanks!
Hmmmm. this should be interesting. Bob, you do know that we have a Rosetta forum over at Xtremesystems for our team members. Post your problems there. Afterall, we push our machines to the LIMIT and surely we can fix it!