PDA

View Full Version : If not STANFORD, then what DC project?

JPS
07-01-2002, 02:31 PM
Help me out with some advice here:

I have been a longtime G@H participant and supported the cause for a number of reasons, principally that I am/was a molecular geneticist. Also, it supported -nonet which was key for me b/c many of the rigs I had access to did not have direct net connections.

Recently I tried the new F@H3 client for G@H but bagged that after I realized that I could not reliably specify which WUs I wanted (F@H or G@H). Now I am back to G@H v0.99 on my main machines, but am getting 'ithcy' feet b/c I am getting the felling that Stanford could give a rat's ass about its users. There are too mnay issues around the project merger and the new client.

So, now that I am thinking about switching DC projects, what do you guys recommend? I can implement more machines if the new project has a -nonet option, but still have a fair supply of firepower if -nonet is not possible. Things I need to keep in mind:

- Most of my rigs are AMD
- Nonet is desired, but not absolute (just means fewer boxes at my disposal)
- CommandLine client needed (most rigs are headless)
- Prefer biologicallly related DC, but it is not an absolute - P95 or ECC anyone?

Where should I point my guns and why?

Thanks mates! :cheers:

Supp
07-01-2002, 05:06 PM
Hi.
You can choose whether you want to run G@H or F@H WU on FAH3 - run -config and when it asks for team number, use the one which your favourite project bears (for Free-DC FAH - 758; GAH - 1881113524)

truth is that FAH3 can't nonet.

If you really want to switch project I'd suggest Distributed Folding (CLI, biological stuff, can nonet [ask in DF forum] and perform very good on AMD)

otherwise??
I'd love to see you on ECCp, 'cause it's "my homeland" :p