PDA

View Full Version : Borging machines easier

CSMan
01-04-2002, 06:58 PM
Is there a program out there where you can make your own installer real easy? Without any programming expertise?

I was thinking of making an installer so I could install G@H minus the id.dat file with my username and team already in the cfg file, and Hideit so they don't know it's there.

Something along the lines of just haveing one .exe file. You open it and it asks where you want to install G@H, where you want to install Hideit, and automatically editing the registry so Hideit starts at startup hidden (so it's not in the startup folder.)

Any thoughts? Is it even possible?

JPS
01-05-2002, 09:13 AM
This is completely doable. You simply need to get an installer software like GKSetup or Setup Factory and make the .exe yourself.

I have done this before by simply installing G@H in its standard config, then copying all files to a new directory. Within the new directory, replace the .cfg file and add the other files you need such as HideItX, etc. You will also need to add a .reg file that specifies the registry entries you are trying to make - be careful and sure of what you are doing unless you want to risk FUBARing your system(s). You can also add any shortcuts you need and specifiy where they get installed.

Onec you have all of that in place, then build a new .exe installer using GKSetup, Setup Factory or soemthing similar. It took me a little while to figure out, but once I had it, it was cake. If you need help, email me and I will show you the script I used to build my version with Setup Factory.

This gives me some howto ideas....muhahahahaha

JPS
01-05-2002, 10:12 AM
You could also simply pack all of the needed files in a .zip file that is self-extracting. You could then direct this file to run a simple install script that specifies where to unpack the files, what shortcuts to make, and what registry files to merge - viola!

My brain is still spinning on this one....

CSMan
01-06-2002, 12:59 PM
Thanks JPS, GKSetup worked pretty good.

Although I would like to explore the self-extracting .zip file. How do you make one of those? Would WinZip do that?

Berg.the.Red
01-06-2002, 01:20 PM
there's a separate program you can use for that.

WinZip Self Extractor (http://www.winzip.com/winzipse.htm)

i've used it before, and it works really well.

JPS
01-06-2002, 04:09 PM
Winrar and PowerArchiver also have built in self-extracting functionality. Me prefers PowerArchiver.