PDA

View Full Version : The DRM plague(Will it EVER be viable?)

jasong
07-03-2006, 07:12 PM
I wanted to create the thread with a nice broad title, so it would have less of a chance of dying out. I'm hoping this will be a good discussion about DRM in general. Obviously, we want to respect Bok by not discussing ways to defeat DRM. But other than that, I guess it's open-season.

The first thing I want to touch on involves an idea I had after thinking about the XBOX360:

Would it be possible to create hardware or software-based DRM where a file could be freely distributed with the DRM intact, and the decoding file(yes, file) would change depending on (1) the filename, (2) the person's ordering identifier(probably an email address), (3) the machine(s) the file is approved for and (4) The date and possibly hour and minute the person loses the rights to the file.

The reason it would be this complicated is so that people could have fair use copying rights, but you wouldn't be able to transfer the rights to watch something without losing them yourself. So if your friend wanted to borrow your copy of Big Mama's House, you could transfer it to him, but you would lose the right to watch it until he transferred it back. So you could basically have all the Hollywood movies ever made, plus automatically download the new ones as soon as their available, and not ever be accused of stealing anything because it would be totally legal.

There would be a chip that's only job would be to create, change, and modify DRM files, plus approve or deny the watching of media.

Obviously, it would take a lot of work, but the question is, would it work, and could it answer the thorny dilemma of Fair Use vs. DRM?

Chinasaur
07-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Even if ... "they" will never let you use it. "They" are only about money and profits..not fairness nor user rights nor what is even legal.

"They" will do whatever they can do, including re-writing laws, to prevent you from doing what you want with your own property.

1994 was 12 years ago.

Dyyryath
07-06-2006, 10:40 AM
DRM is a complicated issue and I still haven't got a set position on it. Both sides make points that I find at least partially valid.

In the end, however, I think I'm simply becoming more sure that DRM is not the problem, but rather a symptom of copyright laws that have grown out of control. If we had some serious copyright reform that made things a little more reasonable, I don't think that I'd find DRM too onerous. In those cases where it became too restrictive, I'd just refrain from purchasing the product in the first place.

I don't mind individuals or corporations using DRM to protect their legal rights. I DO mind the government giving them ever greater legal rights at the expense of the public. Copyright has grown beyond its original scope and needs to be reeled back in a bit.