PDA

View Full Version : Start-ups/Programs

drsbpalmer
07-05-2002, 06:59 AM
I've been a major part of many start-ups and over 300 research projects; programming across multiple platforms and getting everything to work like you need it to takes time, work, understanding and supportive feedback, not crybabies :cry: !
The Stanford group is working for human-kind, and has a long history of achievement; but none of those achievements were easy, none of them took place in a few months, none of them involved such complex calculations or were forced to operate across every known platform; there are still bugs in windows operating systems from Windows 95 to Windows XP, they have a highly paid staff of thousands working to screw it up worse; open systems such as Linux have been working for years to make a simple spreadsheet work interactively with graphics and word-processing; Unix, Win32, Solaris all have adaptive problems in distributed computing; so don't blame just Seti@Home, G@H or F@H for not living up to your standards at this time. Anyone can complain, but only a few good people will help find a solution for everyone involved. If you think you can help find the problems and offer positive feedback then :cheers: join the effort!

Smiling Carnivore
07-05-2002, 03:10 PM
I can forgive problems with software. As long as they get corrected that is. Most projects, at least those that want to continue recieving donations of CPU cycles, tend to keep their users informed about plans and changes. Especially when those plans involve stats, the only tangible thing most of us get out of these projects. Stanford has failed to plan things properly and because of this they come out looking incompetant. Wether or not they are as incompetant doesn't really matter, to most G@H crunchers that is how they appear. Anyways, it is all a moot point. Many people from many teams are abandoning G@H. I am one of them. I love the science of the project, but I can't help but feel that the 0.99 client will be dead soon and I don't have a permanent connection to handle F@H3.