PDA

View Full Version : Remote Control Software

DesertFolk
07-30-2006, 02:04 AM
I know there are a number of different software packages that will allow you to remote control computers. What would you recommend considering the following criteria:

- Only needs to compatible with Win2k, WinXP and Windows Server 2003
- Active Directory integration so a password does not have to be seet up on each client
- Ease of deployment and management of 500-600 computers and servers
- Programmable options such as whether or not a user has to click Ok to allow you to remote into their computer
- Programmable video settings to compensate for LAN, WAN or dialup use
- An option to hide it from the user completely; no tray icon

the-mk
07-30-2006, 05:37 AM
If you log on the computer, does the user have to follow what you do remote?

- If no, remote desktop (built in in Win XP, Win 2003 Server, loadable to Win 2000) would be my recommendation to you.
- If yes: good question... I would say VNC, but I don't know what the experts say...

-> Remote Desktop is compatible to Win XP, Win 2003 Server and you can load it for Win 2000
-> You'll logon with you domain-user or the user of the system you are connected to, no need for an extra password; You'll have to add each user who should be able to logon from remote on the machine
-> Easy deployment, as mentioned above: built in in Win XP, Win 2003 Server, you only need to activate it in the Control Panel, System, Remote
-> When you logon the remote machine, the "computer is locked" screen appears. I don't know if it is necessary that other users follow the man who logged on remote
-> You can define how powerful your connection to the remote machine is (Dial up, ISDN, LAN, ...) and disables some features (background image, show window content while dragging,...)
-> Remote Desktop has no tray icon

IronBits
07-30-2006, 10:02 AM
Terminal Services for Server to Server.
SMS for Workstations.
And RCMD is handy for the occasional quick 'dos screen' stuff.

Has and does everything you asked. :)

Shish
07-31-2006, 05:26 AM
Ultr@vnc ( search on Sourceforge .net) is fully integratable into Windows and AD as well as far as I know. I do know you can set up Groups for secure access etc. Very good prog and used at my Metro Coucil fro helpdesk support and sorting of many schools and libraries systems inc W2K, XP, 2003 etc.totalling many thousand systems. Rolling out via AD or similar is not too hard I`m told though I`ve never had to do it myself. I have used the pushvnc script on several occasions to do remote installs though and that works well.