PDA

View Full Version : Raring files question

jasong
08-26-2006, 05:24 PM
When you Rar a bunch of files together, and you want a specific file, is it possible to only get that one file? Or do you have to unRar everything up to that point?

I am collecting a ton of video off my Tivo and I'm thinking I might have to store it on DVDs soon.

Unless of course hard drive storage is cheaper per Gig. Is it?

/me goes to do research to figure it out.

Edit: DVDs are cheaper by a wide margin.

em99010pepe
08-26-2006, 06:13 PM
When you Rar a bunch of files together, and you want a specific file, is it possible to only get that one file? Or do you have to unRar everything up to that point?

I suppose you have to unrar everything, if not check the temp folder for the file you want.

Carlos

PCZ
08-26-2006, 07:44 PM
jasong

Video Files do not compress.
If you plan on using Rar to reduce the size of the archive you will be dissapointed.

The answer to your question is yes, you can extract individual files from an archive.
Use WinRar.

jasong
08-26-2006, 08:11 PM
jasong

Video Files do not compress.
If you plan on using Rar to reduce the size of the archive you will be dissapointed.

The answer to your question is yes, you can extract individual files from an archive.
Use WinRar.
I know video files do not compress. I also know that if I can get about 40 Gig of files on DVD-Rs without having to worry about extra space on any but the last DVD-R, I tend to save money.

Shish
08-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Ỳou could convert the files to a less wasteful format such as Div X, MP4 etc. There are a lot of programs for re-encoding files out there. Just Google re encoding video or go to one of the cd/dvd sites.