PDA

View Full Version : "Address Already In Use" (IIS 5)

IronBits
12-27-2001, 03:04 AM
Multiple sites with one NIC (IIS 5)

I found a slick trick I felt I should share with you, for Windows 2000 Server and IIS 5.

Click Start, Settings, Network and Dialup
Go to Local Area Connection, then Properties
Double click TCP/IP, then go to Advanced

Look at that TOP box, labled IP Addresses

I just added some IPs there from my local network
You add one for each site you want to run.
Follow the Close/OK buttons until you are out (don't have to re-boot)

Then, go to IIS select the site you want to work with, right click, properties, drop-down-box, choose an unused IP, port:80, apply, then stop and re-start that site, done

Super slick! Multiple sites, multiple IPs, multiple Headers !

ColinT
12-27-2001, 12:30 PM
Does this mean we can use the admin functions without fear of taking everything down?

IronBits
12-27-2001, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by ColinT
Does this mean we can use the admin functions without fear of taking everything down?

In theory, yes :D

Berg.the.Red
12-27-2001, 06:24 PM
... isn't everything Micro$erf related --> "in theory" ?? :p

Supp
12-27-2001, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Berg.the.Red
... isn't everything Micro$erf related --> "in theory" ?? :p

Seems so :D :p

Shadicus
12-28-2001, 12:53 AM
Does this apply only on a public network. I have IIS5 running for my website behind a firewall on a cable modem. I am wondering how I could tell my firewall to NAT off of a url request via port 80. I havent really gone after this, however being new to the whole DC thing I have a feeling Im going to dive into it pretty hard.

IronBits
12-29-2001, 08:36 PM
Posted at vB support -

Update. That didn't work, so I put it all back. I did find the real problem however. First the setup...

I use the same IP and port:80 for all sites
each site has a 'header expect' or hostname.
I put them all back that way, it is working great, just like it had been all along.

Now, to the real problem. uptime.exe <--- never used to run

uptime.exe comes with the resource kit. After I installed vB, this starts showing up in task manager, fine, just an observation!

Finally, it happened again today... IIS stopped responding, I restarted and nothing would start. So I picked a site, any site, and got the same exact error message!

I looked, saw all the uptime.exe tasks with that belongs to user IUSR_compname, and killed each one off (10 maybe).

I then restarted IIS, and it came right up.

Now, I went to the reskit dir, found uptime.exe and renamed it to uptime.exe! and that problem nor the tasks have shown up.

Question begs, is there something in vB that calls it if it is found on the system for something, and if it is not found, it calls something else, like maybe shstat.exe ?

Can someone give me a yes or no answer, or an explaination as to what is used in place of uptime.exe, if indeed it is called, or, if PHP, Perl, or MySQL would be calling it for some reason?

Remember, this did not start until after I installed vB, and this is a server that runs forever. I have not added or removed any programs or utilities in many many months. Just curious...

fRaGgLe
12-29-2001, 09:55 PM
Although I run under VB under linux, I think that uptime is used in the server stats that are accessible in the admin console.

I would not worry too much about it - as those stats are available in many other places

IronBits
12-29-2001, 11:49 PM
Thanks frag! :D

I hope to be moving it to a *nix box here in the very near future. I miss all the stats and goodness *nix has to offer, among other things... ;)

If you are up to it and have some free time next week, maybe we could get together and discuss how best to do this, so when I get the 2nd IP later in the week, I'll have a good plan to work from... you know my layout here already... :)

Here are some very specific code editing instructions they recommened I use, if I am going to leave it in a non *nix environment. I thought it might be useful knowledge...
For now, I'll just keep uptime.exe out of the way.

vB's answer (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=226774#post226774)

Thanks again

BNS
01-02-2002, 05:10 PM
Yeah, multiple bound IPs are great for running different services and sites off of the one machine with only one NIC.

I have to go to work, but I will try to help if you think it is worthwhile attempting to go that route.

Back tonight then