PDA

View Full Version : Service options

eXXile
07-20-2002, 06:40 PM
I always wondered if running the client as a service and setting options in the foldit.bat file would work. After reading about the new frequency upload switch and the new speed increase, I'm hoping that it will affect the windows service as well.

If by setting options in the foldit.bat file affect the windows service, I'll cut my trip short and come back early to setup for the next update.:D

Brian the Fist
07-20-2002, 06:52 PM
The service does NOT read foldit.bat. Most options are not selectable for the service but the extra RAM option will be (see the readme in the next version). The uplaod interval cannot be changed for the service but it should never crash so it shouldn't be a problem unless your whole machine goes down frequently..

MAD-ness
07-20-2002, 07:42 PM
I have always been curious about the service and foldit.bat options.

Thanks for the clarification.

Digital Parasite
07-21-2002, 10:26 AM
Darn, I was just going to post a message about making some options available in the service version. I would really like the upload interval configurable as well. You could even use the service.cfg file to hold more than just one value to let me put in configuration options (but you have obviously already thought of something for the memory usage thing).

My XP machine seems to be locking up randomly recently doing different things so I'm not sure what it is. It would be helpful to set it at a lower interval for uploads.

Actually if I had a service configuration wish list it would be:
- memory usage (the new feature)
- upload frequency
- client priority
- progress update

The client priority would be nice especially because you could increase the priority slightly so it will get more CPU time from people who have screen savers set up on their accounts (in a multi-user NT/2k/XP environment).

Jeff.

Brian the Fist
07-21-2002, 12:16 PM
I suppose I can add that stuff in later today if I have time. But it will be for 'experts only' as it will require manual file editing, etc.

Digital Parasite
07-21-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Brian the Fist
I suppose I can add that stuff in later today if I have time. But it will be for 'experts only' as it will require manual file editing, etc.

Great. :cheers:

You mean manual editing like non-experts have to do with foldit.bat? ;) Just teasing... :thumbs:

Jeff.