PDA

View Full Version : History of the Up-Coming Gauntlet

Alpha_7
01-06-2002, 08:55 PM
Hey Guys,

Since I'm new and dont know many of you, and I'd say this goes for all as JSI'ers we don't know the history or story behind this Gauntlet on the 18th.. and well I'm interested.. from what I've gathered.. some of your guys are Dogs ? from all the Woofing around.. and some.. I'm not as sure about this are from TLC ? or something ?

So its Dogs vs TLC ???

and if so who are they all ?

how where the groups formed and
what sort of Gauntlet is it ?

Cheers,
Alpha

mr_mann
01-06-2002, 09:00 PM
alpha you should have been there when ars had gaunlets
they were rough! wanna talk bout competition!
the teams were usually like
the dogs
and several others but the dogs are the REAL team always
winning and have always been together

Dyyryath
01-07-2002, 12:41 AM
The subteam gauntlets were something that Ars Technica's SETI team (TLC) devised once they had thoroughly whipped all the other teams.

In order to keep things interesting, they split themselves into 'subteams'. These subteams were only split 'virtually'. All of their WUs were still going to TLC, it was just a way of picking groups of TLC members and tracking their respective production over a set period of time. The 'subteam' with the highest production at the close of the gauntlet was the winner.

It worked out rather well, and became a tradition. In fact, it's since been used in Genome@Home by Ars Technica's Team Primordial Soup to great effect.

The teams are:

(1) The Dogs of War (TDOW)
(2) The Holy Axe Wielding Nobility (THAWN)
(3) The Teaberry Collective (TTC)

The upcoming gauntlet will be between these teams, and possibly any other teams if they organize themselves prior to the gauntlet.

It is for TLC members only. Now, TLC is not a Free-DC team, but most of the founders here have remained members of TLC and we will go back to compete for the couple of weeks that the gauntlet runs. You'll also notice that several other Free-DC members will also be competing. If you'd like to, you need to have an active account producing for TLC. Then you need to go to the Ars Forum, pick a subteam to join, and announce your intentions in that team's thread.

If you're interested in subteam gauntlets, but don't want to leave Free-DC to do it, there is absolutely no reason why we can't organize similar things here. Of course, the original reason behind this whole idea was to give teams who were already dominating there respective projects a way to continue the spirit of competition. Currently, the Free-DC teams (being brand new) are still getting plenty of competition from the outside. :D

Hope this answered your questions...

Alpha_7
01-07-2002, 01:08 AM
Hope this answered your questions...

Certainly has, thanks :)

One thing what about stashes ?? does everyone start from scratch ?? as in zero stashed.. that would seem to be the only fair way to do it.

mr_mann
01-07-2002, 11:13 AM
no they make stats from where they start to see who has done the most at the end of the gauntlet it really depends on ur production not how many u already have :D

Alpha_7
01-07-2002, 04:31 PM
I'm not sure if your understood my questions ...?

I meant say right now I have a seti stash which has 25 completed units, and the gauntlet was starting tomorrow...
do I have to send in this 25 completed units beforehand ?? so that on the day of the guantlet I start at zero ???
this i believe would be the fairest way, coz if not.. then as soon as people heard of an up coming gauntlet they could stash everything and then upload heaps and heaps more then their usual output ...

and if this is the case is it just a matter of trusting them all to be honest ? and not stash their WUs?

mr_mann
01-07-2002, 05:53 PM
when ever the person starts the gauntlet is when you should
start sending in your WU's :D

Alpha_7
01-07-2002, 06:07 PM
So u can have stashed units ????

me still confused.
:(

mr_mann
01-07-2002, 06:13 PM
yes as long as u get them in before the end of the gauntlet :D

Alpha_7
01-07-2002, 06:22 PM
But if

Guy A has stash 50 units before the Gauntlet starts..
then during the gauntlet only out puts another 50 giving him
a total of 100, then he'll beat

Guy B that started outputing units when the gauntlet started and ouputted say 80 units..

so is it just who can send in more during the gauntlet ?
if so then i understand now..

if not, is it how much they "actually output" during the gauntlet?

Gazoooo
01-07-2002, 06:57 PM
Dyyryath:

If I may be so bold as to correct you.......We are now TDOW.........

But I still prefer to be referred to as the "underDOG" as we were in the first gauntlet. As the name refers to we were started by (I believe) ProphetM, Lone_Wolf, and asr^2 as a group of individuals that wanted to join the gauntlet but didn't have much horsepower.........We later evolved <insert evil growl here>.

Here is a list of the original team............The wu's crunshed in some cases has changed dramatically:

asr\^2 245
ProphetM 1778
Lone_Wolf 158
bazix 123
Aeirould 53
Dave Peachey 1570
Rob Reid 1703
Marv 1204
kea 1603
Roelof 7014
Randy 1957
SOA 959
tinfoil 240
cd_johnston 1597
GOD 1351
Jeremy Crawford 6606
Urugami 3604
councilor 217
Ghostdanse 484
Pete H 4392
badsac 425
kurtconi 443
DC 1995
outlnder or Del B.'s Seti Cluster 10144
rdrunr 1484
kiltannen 90
Gazoooo 114

That original Gauntlet was actually started about 1 year ago today. The team (TLC) had gotten bored and wanted to generate a little interest within the team............(read : more stats).

We have since evolved, and under the leadership of BradH, with members like Fragile and others, are now a powerhouse of crunching power.

oh and..................

GO YOU DOGGIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mr_mann
01-07-2002, 07:29 PM
yes alpha just whoever can send in the most durring the competition :D

i was once on a team there but it wasnt the right team
:D
krell_worshippers
krell was a badddd person BAD :D

Jammy
01-13-2002, 04:39 PM
Great history of the Sub-Gauntlet teams!

Jammy (Klingon Saluki)
TDOW

Woof-Hoo

Originally posted by Dyyryath
The subteam gauntlets were something that Ars Technica's SETI team (TLC) devised once they had thoroughly whipped all the other teams.