PDA

View Full Version : Welcome, New Cruncher(s)

Paratima
09-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Good ta see ya, benmaloney! We need all the help we can get.

Welcome aboard. :thumbs:

paleseptember
09-09-2007, 06:31 AM
:D No worries!

Was looking for something interesting to soak up a few spare cycles now that Sophos AntiVirus has decided dcnetc.exe is a virus file and instantly deletes it whenever I try and access it :P

Have got back into SoB, am playing around with sieving at the moment (as my work computer is firewalled and proxied, and I can't work out how to get SoB or eOn to get outside)

*coughs* Anyhow, long way of saying that I should have a client plodding along most of the time.

The ZZZs are somewhat... annoying though :bang:

em99010pepe
09-09-2007, 06:35 AM
To reduce the downtime problems it's better to run at least 4 eOn instances per core.

Welcome to Free-DC Team.

Carlos

LAURENU2
09-09-2007, 01:09 PM
now that Sophos AntiVirus has decided dcnetc.exe is a virus file and instantly deletes it whenever I try and access it :P

Yes the same thing happened to me :rock: I ran a network check overnight and Anti-Virus deleted the Dnet program files on all 70 PC's running here and even the backup/restore files for Dnet to
I was pisssssssed :swear:
Why would programmers write a DC program that looks like a virus :bang:

IronBits
09-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Why would programmers write a DC program that looks like a virus :bang:
The real question is, why would the writers of the virus detecting programs detect and delete a known legite working program, especially as famous as dnetc clients? :swear:

jasong
09-09-2007, 07:23 PM
...especially as famous as dnetc clients? :swear:
Um, maybe you need more meatspace people to talk to if you think ANY DC project is famous enough that an unknown programmer should be aware of it.

Being able to go to very specific places on the vast Internet can sometimes make us feel more popular, or famous, than we actually are. My favorite online rag is 'The Inquirer,' but I bet at least half of the people that read this either haven't heard of it, or think of 'The National Inquirer' first. It's a tech magazine based in the UK, by the way.

paleseptember
09-09-2007, 09:59 PM
It's happened before (to me at least). Sophos updates itself, and for the next few weeks dnetc is a no-go. Hence my sporadic drifting between projects every six months or so.

But I'm loving eOn! It seems a perfect secondary project :thumbs:

And I'm constantly amazed by how much computing power you all have at your disposal. 70 PCs?? Wow! The electricity bill must be phenomenal :(

LAURENU2
09-10-2007, 12:15 AM
paleseptember said
The electricity bill must be phenomenal
Please do not remind me I get depressed when I think about it:bang: :bang: :bang: