PDA

View Full Version : Maybe these could be future BOINC features?

jasong
10-19-2007, 12:12 AM
BOINC projects seem to be incredibly popular popular when compared to a lot of other projects. The main problem I see is that some projects have special needs.

For instance, if Eon were to run on BOINC, there would need to be a setting that told the computer that when it downloaded a certain project's work units, it was expected to crunch that work unit IMMEDIATELY.

I was going to mention another feature I want, but I figure I better check some project pages to make sure it doesn't actually exist. It involves giving specific projects lots of RAM at times that the computer is almost guaranteed to not be in use. I'm specifically thinking of things like ecm and p-1, which are used to factor composite numbers.

Helix_Von_Smelix
10-19-2007, 05:06 AM
just add more RAM.

Try running one instance of Seasonal attribution and see how much RAM that uses, oh and check out the disk I/O

Re: your sig,, i very much doubt we would last that long if the sun went out

em99010pepe
10-19-2007, 08:11 AM
BOINC projects seem to be incredibly popular popular when compared to a lot of other projects.

I think it's popular because people are too damm lazy to understand how to run a classic client/project. I like the ones who give me a good fight to put them to work....I still think BOINC is the monopoly of DC projects but that's the humble opinion of someone who lives in a small country where the monopoly of big companies is the state of art. I can't choose my ISP provider, my energy supplier, my gas supplier, etc....

Carlos

Saenger
10-19-2007, 12:20 PM
I run BOINC because it lets me crunch a bunch of projects without hassle. I don't want to dig into the deep of my puter to get Folding run alongside eon and dnet, it has to do this automatically.

And I don't want to change the client manually every day or week, after a WU is done, with the inevitable loss of crunchtime for the time the last one of the last project is over and I'm not at the puter to start the next project.

If I were a single project person, I would probably prefer the customised client, made specially for my project, over a stock one, where probably some options will always not be there. But I'm not.

yoyo
10-19-2007, 02:57 PM
BOINC projects seem to be incredibly popular popular when compared to a lot of other projects. The main problem I see is that some projects have special needs.

For instance, if Eon were to run on BOINC, there would need to be a setting that told the computer that when it downloaded a certain project's work units, it was expected to crunch that work unit IMMEDIATELY.

I think you can make it just with a short deadline.
yoyo
BTW: Are you an EON fan and expert?

jasong
10-19-2007, 11:11 PM
BTW: Are you an EON fan and expert?
Fan, yes.

For expert, it would depend on the type of question asking. If you can't get the client to work, I could probably figure out what's wrong. But ask a question about the science and I'd know very little.

Saenger
10-21-2007, 12:10 PM
I think yoyo is on the prowl for the next project to wrap in his Boinc wrapper, like he does now with OGR. ;)

jasong
10-24-2007, 02:53 AM
I think yoyo is on the prowl for the next project to wrap in his Boinc wrapper, like he does now with OGR. ;)
If that's true,, than he goes on my list of favorite geeks. Not that anybody should feel especially honored to be on any lists of mine. ;)

gopher_yarrowzoo
10-24-2007, 01:31 PM
If that's true,, than he goes on my list of favorite geeks. Not that anybody should feel especially honored to be on any lists of mine. ;)

Be afraid be very afraid... ...:rotfl:
sorry jason couldn't resist that..