PDA

View Full Version : Swearing off BOINC for the second time

jasong
11-21-2007, 12:57 AM
For a while I thought BOINC was great. Well, now I've decided to amend that. BOINC is great on Windows. It's a pile of steaming dog poo on Linux. I've been having troubles with it for the past week. And it's specifically BOINC, not some Alpha project causing the problem. P-1 runs horribly if you use more than one core of a Core2Duo, or do anything but use alternate cores on a Core2Quad, so I had two cores that needed a secondary project that was low cpu bandwidth. So, I installed Sudoku and set BOINC to only use two cores. Well, I'm about 18 hours into two different work units(the unit automatically gets returned if the 20 hour mark is reached for processing time) and I can't get the Manager to open up without complaining about a wrong password. A password to open a program to look at stuff running on the exact same box? WTF? When I finally managed to open the Manager, the Sudoku units are nowhere to be seen. If they were uploaded, then there should have been only two Sudoku units in the Windows, since it was set to "No New Work" and 4 Sukoku units had been downloaded. Not only that, but it downloaded 4 Riesel Sieve workunits, which meant it was getting settings from God knows where on my hard drive.

Very, very frustrating. It'll be at least 2008 before I even consider trying again. And even then, I'm going to be asking a lot of questions before I start it up again.

alpha
11-23-2007, 07:27 AM
I've only ever used the console version of the *nix client and it works OK. Quite cumbersome but none of the problems that you described above.

Have you looked around to see if anyone else has the same problems? Are you running the latest version? Did you compile it from the source?