PDA

View Full Version : We're close, but we still need a little more...

Dyyryath
08-05-2002, 10:41 AM
We've been third (sometimes fourth) in daily production for sometime now. However, with guru and Fobot back, and MashRinx ramping up, we've closed the gap substantially.

We're only a couple of million a day away from TSF each day, and KWSN is even closer.

If big daddy xj10bt comes back to full strength, and Jim Trinkle gets back online and decides he doesn't want to get booted out of the top 10 in DF soon, we should actually be holding our own again!

We need a little more each day, guys! We're only 27 active members, but we're not too far from holding off TSF's 137 active members! :thumbs:

Now, if we could just find another 20 or 30 active members some where, TSF & KWSN would really be in trouble... ;)

FoBoT
08-05-2002, 12:44 PM
i will try some pimpage at www.linuxnewbie.org

also, i am getting a new test lab in september with about ~10Ghz of new crunching power

near the end of this year, i might have some opportunities for short term use of some LARGE firepower, but no promises on that , just dreams :rolleyes:

ECL
08-05-2002, 04:08 PM
I think our needs are actually fairly modest. We need roughly 30% more production -- sustained -- to stay comfortably ahead of KWSN and TSF in daily production.

So we'd need maybe five new mega-crunching members (1 million structures each) or ten at 500,000 and so on. These people would preferably be new to DF. That gets us a good daily production boost.

It would be nice to build a stronger lead over the other teams, but the easiest way to do this is to entice some big-hitters froom other teams. Unfortunately, trying to recruit members from other teams is a double-edged sword; team-jumping seems to become something of an addiction once it begins. Once they discover they can single-handedly change a team's standing they just wander from place to place in order to disrupt everybody's standings.

So we need to find a dozen extremely wealthy, doggedly-loyal DF neophytes who are willing to place vast amounts of computing power at our disposal. Shouldn't be too hard.

FoBoT
08-05-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by ECL
So we need to find a dozen extremely wealthy, doggedly-loyal DF neophytes who are willing to place vast amounts of computing power at our disposal. Shouldn't be too hard.

sounds easy enough :D

Paratima
08-05-2002, 05:03 PM
Let's get it going! :p

TSpurrell
08-05-2002, 05:14 PM
I'll come back for a few weeks, after the TLC gauntlet ends.

TSpurrell

Paratima
08-06-2002, 09:26 PM
Ho, HO! Looking at the nine o'clock numbers, I'd say FoBoT has got/is getting his lab back online! :p

Crank it up LOUD! :scared:

IronBits
08-06-2002, 09:37 PM
Right on TSpurrell :thumbs:

I found a constipated boxen, fed it some xlax, and it finally relieved itself... 132,000 worth. :D
My new Dual arrived DOA, so it will be a couple of weeks before it will kick in. :(
I have a 1.2 that should come online by this week-end, and another 1.2 will be used to replace an old 1.0GHz/200mhz AMD proc in a couple of weeks prolly.
All total, over the week-end, I tossed on approx. 3.5 GHz.
When the Dual comes online, that will be another 3GHz.
Add another 2.4 GHz in borged boxen, with a possible 1.5 GHz added sometime this month. :D
Then, I'm tapped out... :crazy:
Pssst, Dyyryath IS going down ;) :moon: :smoking: :rotfl:

Scoofy12
08-06-2002, 10:32 PM
ho, Ho, HO!
looks like xj10bt is again cranking up.... holy moly, our top 10 (ok, 12, 16, whatever) is starting to look like TOP 10 again!! :|party|:
(Hey! Trinkle! *poke* wake up! join the party!:|punch|: )

Alas, it looks as though my lazy days of sitting up here climbing unopposed are over. (as are my days of high-powered linux clusters that dont belong to me :( )....
Oh, well I can still cheerlead:rotfl:

w:D :D t! :smoking:

IronBits
08-07-2002, 02:30 AM
/me goes and gets a big bucket of popcorn and pulls up a chair.
w :D :D t!! I love it!
The Free-DC War Machine is beginning to rumble again!
:smoking: :thumbs:

pointwood
08-07-2002, 07:00 AM
Hey guys - take a rest, you sound awfully stressed :p :rotfl:

Seriously, we haven't exactly slowed down either ;)

We lost the blue line to KWSN for a couple of days, but we got it back now and as I write this, our weekly production is above 100 million :smoking:

We could soon have an intense 3 team race for the top spot :)

IronBits
08-07-2002, 10:27 AM
Congratulations to Dyyryath for passing the 800lb gorilla, JTrinkle and for breaking 100,000,000 !!! :cheers:
:thumbs:

IronBits
08-07-2002, 10:28 AM
Pointwood, enjoy that little lead in daily production while you can. :p :D

pointwood
08-07-2002, 04:23 PM
We certainly are enjoying it and we have been doing that for quite some time now ;)

Looking forward to continue enjoying it :moon: :smoking:

:p

guru
08-08-2002, 03:43 AM
IB: Dyyryath hasn't passed me yet!
:swear:

IronBits
08-08-2002, 09:25 AM
Looks to me like you are going to need about 2 GHz more. ;)
Man is he nipping at your heels or what?! :bang:
I am trying keeping him distracted and busy.
We are clamoring all over each other for the lead in the dailys. :D
But then again, we have seen what he has done to ColinT and JTrinkle in the past... while there is a spark of hope, he tends to pull out all the stops and fire up his laptops, toasters, blenders, and his closet full of p166 boxen and crush you when you least expect it. Be afraid, be very afraid ;) :D
Come on guru, you can do it!!! :thumbs: :notworthy
Of course, don't get too many, I wanna pass ya to ;) :jester:

Darkness Productions
08-08-2002, 12:16 PM
Well, I'm back.:smoking: :smoking: :smoking:

Got a few GHz on it right now, but I'm also down two XP1800s at the moment. I also need to move my two work boxen over. I'm trying to catch pointwood, which shouldn't be too hard :D

I'm only at 5M, but I wonder how much I can do in a short time. KWSN should be afraid, they should be very afraid ;)

Glen

ColinT
08-08-2002, 12:28 PM
I'm running when I can.

pointwood
08-08-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Darkness Productions
Well, I'm back.:smoking: :smoking: :smoking:

Got a few GHz on it right now, but I'm also down two XP1800s at the moment. I also need to move my two work boxen over. I'm trying to catch pointwood, which shouldn't be too hard :D

I'm only at 5M, but I wonder how much I can do in a short time. KWSN should be afraid, they should be very afraid ;)

Glen You bastard ;) :p

/me thinks one should stick to one's own class :p

I'm wondering what's going on at the KWSN camp - are they saving up for a dump? I'm inclined to think so since they suddenly don't have any in red anymore...

Paratima
08-08-2002, 07:04 PM
Welcome back, Darkness Productions! Good to see ya again. :D

Get them ponies runnin'.

MAD-ness
08-08-2002, 07:07 PM
It is good to see you guys getting highly active again.

As much as I would like to pass y'all, I would prefer it if KWSN didn't pass you as well.

Say Ni! to the Knights!

Crunch for Free-DC! ;)

FoBoT
08-08-2002, 08:17 PM
just moved 4 Ghz from my Eccp109 group, but its -nonet so i'll dump them on monday morning

got 5 1.26 Ghz p3's i can pull out of the boxes and run until next ~wednesday , i don't know where i'll put them :rolleyes:
:)

FoBoT
08-08-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by FoBoT

got 5 1.26 Ghz p3's
:)

bah humbug, only 3 of them were left, my boss must have took the other two, fooey :p

Paratima
08-08-2002, 09:08 PM
My boss just took a week off & left me in charge of his 1.5GHz P4.
Practically any AMD box can blow its doors in, buy hey, it's a CPU and it crunches! ;)
Gonna borg a couple more for the weekend.

Good to see ColinT back in the trenches. :p

TSpurrell, ya stayed at gauntlet too long. markhl just passed you! :eek:

Paratima
08-08-2002, 09:24 PM
FoBoT, 424,737 in ONE DUMP? Whew! I hope you feel better!! :scared:

TSpurrell
08-09-2002, 06:46 PM
I'm still not completely back yet Paratima, I think I have another week or two in the gauntlet. I started running DF at the same time as SETI and every now and then yesterday I would get bored with seeing DF's client sitting at 23/157, so I would close SETI and let DF have some processor loving. :D

TSpurrell

Paratima
08-09-2002, 07:45 PM
Hahahaha! Thank you. That's exactly what it LOOKED like from this side.

Like, is he? ...No, he's not. ...Yes, he is! ...Well, maybe... :p

NOT (ahem) that I simply hang around watching the stats, or anything like that.

TSpurrell
08-09-2002, 07:54 PM
I'm getting ready to go see Signs, so I don't go in to alien overload I'm running DF until the morning when I leave for work.

TSpurrell

IronBits
08-10-2002, 11:25 AM
:D

TSpurrell
08-10-2002, 02:54 PM
Speaking of getting passed Paratima, I passed you a few days ago in TLC. :moon:

IronBits
08-10-2002, 03:01 PM
Oh I see how you are ;)
Wait until you get ahead 41 WUs before saying anything, heh :p
You can run alright, but you can't hide :D
Good work! :cheers:

Paratima
08-10-2002, 08:41 PM
Oh, that's alright. I've been away so long I forgot where I was, even.

Speaking of passing, IronBits hisself just passed JTrinkle and 100,000,000 structures. WOW!! :thumbs:

IB, pour yourself a cold one. :cheers:

Meanwhile, I just blew by beth133, so pass me one, too.

Paratima
08-10-2002, 08:49 PM
DOUBLE WOW! I just looked again.

xj10bt is rampin' up! Passed 200,000,000 and on his way!!

Say "Bye, bye", FoBoT (and everyone else). Look out, Brian da Fist and M2KGuy!

IronBits
08-10-2002, 11:40 PM
Hey, thanks guys!
heh, I guess I Doubled my pleasure today. :D

:cheers: Paratima :cheers:
:thumbs:
xj10bt, what can I say, UdaMan ! :scared:
:smoking:
and FoBoT, what are you waiting for, the gauntlet glove to fall?
Go get him! :swear: :p :D
Good job to everyone !!! :|party|:

Scoofy12
08-10-2002, 11:56 PM
Boy, I sure look lonely up there all by myself in orange... and the sad thing, I and my roommates are moving back to school this week... which means downtime, plus no more crunching at work! :(

And what a time for it too, as i'm about to get 3 big sets of tire treads on me... looks like the first imprint on my butt's gonna say http://www.csc.tntech.edu/~dlschuff/sun.png ...:scared:

IronBits
08-11-2002, 12:28 AM
DOH!!! He ran right smack dab over yer a$$ ;) :D
Did he even honk or wave as he went by?
Get back into the game when you can Scoofy12! :(
I hope you don't mind if I don't wait on ya :p :jester:

Paratima
08-11-2002, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Scoofy12
Boy, I sure look lonely up there all by myself in orange... Whoa up thar, pardner! We all crunch when & where we can, but R/L comes first for everybody.
Especially school! It should be your #1 priority right now.

Like IB sez, get back in when & as ya can! :)

TSpurrell
08-11-2002, 02:15 AM
Quote by Ironbits

Oh I see how you are
Wait until you get ahead 41 WUs before saying anything, heh
You can run alright, but you can't hide
Good work!

Where were my manners, I didn't use proper ditributed computing etiquette for passing people. :D I guess this lack of discipline can be blamed on my parents. :)

Anyway it's hard to drive and make a pressed ham on the passenger window when passing someone, so I just wait until I get ahead of them.

And IronBits this is your's :moon: for when I passed you back IronBits Free-DC account back around 585. :D

And :cheers: for you two advancing past Beth133 and JTrinkle.

I'll be back next weekend and then for a month after the gauntlet. Then it will be back to TLC to try and make 3000 work units by my SETI anniversary on 11/16.

Later
TSpurrell