PDA

View Full Version : My BOINC game

jasong
01-06-2008, 12:17 AM
I know a lot of people like to go for certain scores in various projects, like wanting to score 10,000 in ALL beta or better projects, so I decided to come up with my own version. In my case, I intend for this to apply to all projects that are at least Beta. I came up with these rules simply because I'm bored. If you have your own version of this, I'd love to hear about it.

The rules involve an array. Basically, my part in the game is to simply change the share ratios of the various projects according to the rules, and track how the scores change. I have certain favorite projects, so I may decide to add multipliers to certain shares depending on what my favorite project is at the time. So that would be another variable.

Anyway, here're my "rules":----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have an array:

The first array:

3,000...up in thousands until 10,000, then

15e3(this means 15 with 3 zeroes after it)
20e3
25e3... up by 5s until 100e3 is reached

and then it goes back to 15 and starts over, except e is 4, so it's a continuous loop that's constantly increasing
Anyway the above array refers to the scores of the different projects, it helps me to figure out what each project's share should be. Basically, the two variables of what my favorite project is, and where it is in the array decides what share to assign. I'll use the simplest example of two projects.

Let's say I have two projects, project A has about 90,000 cobblestones and project B has 15,000. So I go to my array to find out how far apart, or ahead, project A is. I find out they are 15 entries away from each other. Now, there are two important parts to 15 when it comes to my rules, the ones place(5) and everything else(in this case 1, which is worth 10 acccording to my 2nd or third grade math books ;) ). So basically, if you divide by 10, you get 1 remainder 5. The remainder is how much you should multiple your project B share by, and the quotient 1(I'm such an idiot, I'm not even sure if that's the right word) tells us how many zeroes to add to the right of project Bs new share. Of course, if your shares get stupidly high, you can just reduce them by dividing them all by the same number for each project. It's a game where you're the only player, so you're the arbiter of how much you stick to your own rules.

So, you can still have your favorite projects, but you basically give time to ALL the projects at some point. So, other than the fact that I'm a weird dude, what do you guys and gals think?